Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 PM

63 posts, read 182,925 times

Advertisements

Hello to all
I was wondering what the job outlook looks like for teachers and nurses in CT. I have always wanted to move to teh east coast and have thought that CT would be a great place for my family. If so what are some good areas that are usually in need. I really would not want to teach in Hartford but would be open to any where else.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM

113 posts, read 517,190 times
Excellent for nurses that is for sure. I worked in home health care in Ct and nurses are in high demand. My sister works at Yale and makes 98 k a year there. Fantastic benefits as well.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
As someone going for a CT teaching license I can tell you kind of mixed. The complication is the fight over the CT state budget and how that will affect openings. On the other hand, there were quite a few retirement incentives that many teachers have taken.

I have actually had a couple of interviews, and I know some people in my classes (most of whom are middle-age "career changers") who are having some interviews and even a couple of job offers. I would say that from what I've seen Special Ed (all grades), then Science, then Math (in both cases high school, then middle school) have the best chances of your getting a job, after that it becomes harder. I know in general for anywhere, any region of the US, for the most part there are far more applicants for elementary school positions than there are openings.

Nurses I don't know, though I hear that in general they are doing better jobwise than most other professions, but I'm sure that doesn't mean if you have a pulse you get a job.

Back to teachers, I can say that in my view the outlook in CT is better than in states like CA or NY (my home state), but still mixed at best. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM

96 posts, read 337,359 times
Nurses are definately in high demand in CT. I work at Uconn (university Of CT health center) there are always jobs posted on there website. It is a state job benefits are excellent. They also list salaries online.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 28,635 times
If you teach in a shortage area, like math, science or special ed, you have a good chance of getting a job. Unfortunately, it is much harder to get a job right now if you are an elementary ed teacher. Very few openings and for the few openings that do exist, there are 300-500 applications for the spot.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 AM

63 posts, read 182,925 times
Thanks for all the info. I actually got a few calles yesterday and I am heading to Tenn for some interviews. I know they dont pay as well as CT but we have family there and we really like the areas outside of Nashville. I am moving from Michigan where you have about 1500-2000 applicants per opening in most areas and I dont want to deal with that anymore.
Good luck to all

Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue1231 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I actually got a few calles yesterday and I am heading to Tenn for some interviews. I know they dont pay as well as CT but we have family there and we really like the areas outside of Nashville. I am moving from Michigan where you have about 1500-2000 applicants per opening in most areas and I dont want to deal with that anymore.
Good luck to all
I'm not sure about nursing (but I imagine it is the same thing), but for teaching one place that I hear has a lot of openings is Louisiana and Mississippi. I have a friend who was really gunning for NY City Teach for America (she's from Yonkers, NY) but she was sent down there and stayed with it afterwards and told me there's a lot of openings down there.

Good luck! I know it must really suck up there in Michigan from what I hear for any kind of job.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:29 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap412 View Post
If you teach in a shortage area, like math, science or special ed, you have a good chance of getting a job. Unfortunately, it is much harder to get a job right now if you are an elementary ed teacher. Very few openings and for the few openings that do exist, there are 300-500 applications for the spot.
This is so true. My wife is certified as a Math teacher, her best friend certified in Social Studies. My wife is having a hard enough time, we thought she would be in New Hartford but that doesn't seem to look up. Her friend, however, can't find anything.

It's tough out there for teachers right now.

I would *never* teach down south, mainly because the pay is a joke. Yes, the COL is less, but the pay is hardly enough to even keep up with that. We looked at teaching jobs in FL when we were considering a move, and the pay cut she would take was nuts. We would have been foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut