Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 04:36 PM

24 posts, read 74,180 times

Advertisements

Hi All

hello all hope everyone is doing fine through these tough times
i have a question concerning Gang activity in CT where would be the most
activity found in CT and what areas. as a lot of my friends here know i will be returning

from CA where there is a lot of gangs here. the town i live in just had it's 20th gang
murder very scary here. want all your feedback on this so i may appropriately
choose a nice place to live with my wife parents and kids my kids are out of school
so schools are not a concern. im looking at litchfield county. is there any of this activity
around this area? if so please let me know so i may choose appropriately and stay away
from this like i said it's pretty bad where i live. been gone from the great state of CT
for a while born and raised there and want to return very soon. want to rent first before
we buy a home just want to make the right choice for the family and myself. and if
anyone has an idea what rent might cost 3-4 bedroom house or apartment duplex any
info would be very appreciated. i know a lot has changed in ct since i left my friends

there tell me quite a bit about things there. since you guys and girls are there and im

here bring on all the suggestions you have & if possible some real estate agents in the
litchfield county area if you know of any. i just want to make it right for my parents
they are old school italians and want them to be comfortable in a nice quite area.
also is there a VA hospital around that area and if so where would be the closest.
i know waterbury hospital & st marys are close how is the health care in waterbury
as far as doctors thats were i was born waterbury hospital just curious how health care
is there now. also is there anyone i can call to talk to about the area to get a better idea
to whats going on there would greatly be appreciated rather than visualizing. someone

that would know the litchfield county area of who lives there that can help. one last thing
i see is that taxes for cars in waterbury are very high so if you live in litchfield county
do you register your car in waterbury and pay taxes there or some where else.

hi jay & jvello and all my other friends here on the fourms

take care god bless
vince
U.S.M.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
Gang activity in Litchfield county is rare. I occasionally go to Torrington which is the biggest town in the county and I can say the county is beautiful if you like the country life style and the sight of the ridges. Apartment prices are moderate to cheap. St. Mary's is a good hospital which happens to be the biggest health care facility south of Torrington. The nearest VA would be at Newington which should be about 40min ride. The other VA is at West Haven which is an hour ride but quite comprehensive compared to the former. Hope you find this piece very informative!!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Honestly, the most gang activity occurs in Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven (in that order.)
I love New Haven--not sure about VA hospitals, though, there is Yale-New Haven. I would not recommend New Haven for your parents but some of the suburbs (Hamden, Cheshire, East Haven) would be very suitable for them. There is also a substantial Italian population in those areas as well as many Italian restaurants and churches (St. Mary's in New Haven used to do an actual high mass in Latin--the only place I have ever actually seen one, it was beautiful.)
Re: rents on a 3-4 bedroom, the average for a 3/2 is $1800/month + utilities in the suburbs that I mentioned. Unfortunaltey, CT is very expensive. Eastern CT tends to be less expensive but tends to be more rural and have less amenities. Sorr but I don't know about Litchfield County.
Best of luck with your search. At the very least, I think that your parents would be very happy in CT.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 PM

109 posts, read 437,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Hi All

activity found in CT and what areas. as a lot of my friends here know i will be returning

from CA where there is a lot of gangs here. the town i live in just had it's 20th gang
choose a nice place to live with my wife parents and kids my kids are out of school
so schools are not a concern. im looking at litchfield county. is there any of this activity
around this area? if so please let me know so i may choose appropriately and stay away
from this like i said it's pretty bad where i live. been gone from the great state of CT
for a while born and raised there and want to return very soon. want to rent first before
we buy a home just want to make the right choice for the family and myself. and if
anyone has an idea what rent might cost 3-4 bedroom house or apartment duplex any
info would be very appreciated. i know a lot has changed in ct since i left my friends

there tell me quite a bit about things there. since you guys and girls are there and im

here bring on all the suggestions you have & if possible some real estate agents in the
litchfield county area if you know of any. i just want to make it right for my parents
they are old school italians and want them to be comfortable in a nice quite area.
also is there a VA hospital around that area and if so where would be the closest.
i know waterbury hospital & st marys are close how is the health care in waterbury
as far as doctors thats were i was born waterbury hospital just curious how health care
is there now. also is there anyone i can call to talk to about the area to get a better idea
to whats going on there would greatly be appreciated rather than visualizing. someone

that would know the litchfield county area of who lives there that can help. one last thing
i see is that taxes for cars in waterbury are very high so if you live in litchfield county

take care god bless
vince
U.S.M.C.
There is a DMV between Winsted and Torrington, off Route 8, so going to Waterbury to register a car isn't necessary. We have lived in Litchfield County for several years and don't see much gang-related activity at all. It is a wonderful area to live and I recommend it highly. It is like stepping back in time 50 years.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Hi All

take care god bless
vince
U.S.M.C.

hey I met a kid from my school from Norwalk and he always talked about gangs down there

Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Litchfield is a beautiful mostly rural area. The largest city there is Torrington but it is pretty small in size. Gang activity is mostly limited to the larger cities like Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury. There is a large VA hospital in West Haven and also one in Newington outside Hartford. I am not sure what the differences are between them though. Many retired military people though choose to live in southeastern Connecticut because there is access to the military facilities in Groton and the overall cost of living is less. Jay

Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM

181 posts, read 557,539 times
Like Jay said, many retirees end up living in Southeastern CT for access to the sub base and the Coast Guard Academy. That would give you access to the NACC and the commissary as well as the plethora of other amenities that come with the base. However, when I worked at the Commissary in High School there were several people that would come in on a regular basis from the western half of the state to take advantage of the way low prices, and just buy in bulk, and they would also take care of anything else that they needed to do on base at the same time. Luckily all of Connecticut is accessible within only a few hours, even from the opposite corner. I hope you find a great place that you like, and if you need more info on the sub base DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut