Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Galaxy in Bridgeport
I was going to give them a plug, but they're a bit too inconsistent. IMHO. I always felt Frankie's in Bpt. is like Galaxy in that regard. It could be really good, or it could be lousy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Most of the diners in CT are all the same - Greek, unclean and inconsistent.

If I had to pick one, it would be Orem's in Wilton.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 11-11-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most of the diners in CT are all the same - Greek, unclean and inconsistent.
And I love them the same. But in all honesty my two favourite have to be Athena's in Southport and Curly's in Stamford just for the atmosphere. I would love to say Andros but really it's been too hit or miss even for me recently.

~Cheers

Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
We went to Effie's once. That was plenty. Maybe it was just what I ordered (I don't remember what it was; it was a long time ago), but I didn't care for it.

As for Quaker, we went for brunch, saw the line, and left. I've heard it's great -- we may never find out though because we hate waiting.
Well, there's a new deli set to open in town on Lasalle Rd in a few weeks, so it'll be worth checking out. Not a diner I know, but this still oughtta be good.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, there's a new deli set to open in town on Lasalle Rd in a few weeks, so it'll be worth checking out. Not a diner I know, but this still oughtta be good.
Awesome! Thanks for the head's up!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Do you know if it is a Jewish or New York style deli? Or is it just another sandwich shop claiming to be a deli? There really is not a good deli in the Hartford area (and don't try to tell me about how great Rein's is). Jay

Old 11-11-2009, 03:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Do you know if it is a Jewish or New York style deli? Or is it just another sandwich shop claiming to be a deli? There really is not a good deli in the Hartford area (and don't try to tell me about how great Rein's is). Jay
HA! Don't get me started on Rein's. I come from Montreal, so when we heard there was a Jewish deli nearby, we RAN there. What a disappointment.

If a Jewish deli is opening on Lasalle, I'm going to cry for joy. Well, only if it's good.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hi Jay,

The sign in the window describes it as a New York style deli. Who knows, maybe it'll be like Carnegie Deli (an amazing place worth going to if you haven't been). It's opening right where the Front Street Bistro used to be. Actually there's alot opening up in that area in the near future - Ambassador of India will soon be an Italian grinder shop, Mediza is becoming McLadden's Irish pub, and a pasta shop is also opening up.

Speaking of delis, I've heard alot about Rein's in Vernon through word of mouth but I haven't been yet. I take it you're not a fan?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:36 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Hi Jay,

The sign in the window describes it as a New York style deli. Who knows, maybe it'll be like Carnegie Deli (an amazing place worth going to if you haven't been). It's opening right where the Front Street Bistro used to be. Actually there's alot opening up in that area in the near future - Ambassador of India will soon be an Italian grinder shop, Mediza is becoming McLadden's Irish pub, and a pasta shop is also opening up.

Speaking of delis, I've heard alot about Rein's in Vernon through word of mouth but I haven't been yet. I take it you're not a fan?
Oh please, please be like Carnegie!!!

My wife loves Carneige and I do too. Our favorite deli in Connecticut, Rye Ridge in Fairfield, just closed so now we have no where to go to get our fix of good New York Jewish deli in the state. People have said to try KAtz's in New Haven but we have not gotten there yet.

As for Rein's, well it is definitely NOT Carneige. That is all I can say. Thanks for the info. It will brighten my wife's day. I see a trip to West Hartford in the near future. Jay

Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Rein's has a decent breakfast. Was not impressed at all by their deli style sandwiches. From the responses so far, it sounds like all the really good delis are in New Jersey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut