Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 12:37 PM

17 posts, read 33,267 times

Advertisements

First off, i received a generous job offer and it's located in Mohegan Sun, I have children that goes to college (Community, Highschool and and 3rd grade), Im currently living in New York (NASSAU) and it's wonderful here, expensive but doable.
Now, i don't mind driving 20-30 minutes to work, because I need to consider my kids needs first, we need a town that is close to transportation, Post Office, schools, hospitals, convenient stores and all that. I only been to Mohegan Sun once to check the job location but that's it. I never venture outside, but before i do (this time with my family), I would like to ask the Members here who currently lives in CT for their point of view and advise as to where's the best place to live if you have school kids and working in Mohegan Sun. We are looking for a 4-5 BR house, not apartment.
I would appreciate if anyone will point us to the right direction, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:24 PM

181 posts, read 557,287 times
Southeastern Connecticut is a really nice area. It's not overcrowded, but it's not disconnected. If I were you I would suggest looking at towns like Ledyard, and Montville, and then move outwards, probably avoiding Norwich and New London with their increased inner city problems. For working at Mohegan Sun, 20-30 minutes would put the edge of your living radius right around East Lyme to the south west, Stonington to the south east, Plainfield to the north, and Colchester to the west. If your children are high school-college age, I would suggest maybe living closer to the coast as there are 6 college and university programs in Groton-New London alone. (Connecticut College, Mitchell College, University of New Haven-eastern campus, UCONN-Avery Point, RPI-Groton, and the Coast Guard Academy) Many of the school systems are quite good, offering top of the line academics as well as many state championship level sports programs. Most of the housing stock in the entire region is single family detached dwellings, so you ought to be able to find a 4-5 bedroom in any town. Budget, however, could be prohibitive. What range are you potentially looking at? That could make all the difference.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:59 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Eastern Connecticut is a fairly rural area. Probably the town with the best schools in the area is the coastal community of East Lyme which is about 20 minutes away. Waterford, Montville and rural Salem are nice too and close by. These towns either have or are close to shopping but it will be nothing like Nassua County. All in all it is a great place to raise a family. The link below will give you information on schools in Connecticut. I hope it helps. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrotonMan View Post
Most of the housing stock in the entire region is single family detached dwellings, so you ought to be able to find a 4-5 bedroom in any town. Budget, however, could be prohibitive. What range are you potentially looking at? That could make all the difference.
Coming from Nassau County, eastern Connecticut homes should look like a real bargain. Jay

Old 11-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Thank you so much guys (@: GrotonMan & JayCT) for these detailed information & links, i do appreciate it. Both of you sounds very knowledgeable which I'm sure we're in good hands. We will definitely check these places out East/South East part of CT), we're aware that Ct is nothing like Nassau, hence we are very excited and can't wait to have a life in a totally different setting. Our budget is somewhere around $2400/month. Thanks once again. Further, do you know the name of their local newspaper there?

Old 11-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Coming from Nassau County, eastern Connecticut homes should look like a real bargain. Jay
Is that right?? Then we're in for a treat!

Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 PM

JayCT, thanks for the links once again, it'll come very handy..

Quote:
Eastern Connecticut is a fairly rural area. Probably the town with the best schools in the area is the coastal community of East Lyme which is about 20 minutes away. Waterford, Montville and rural Salem are nice too and close by. These towns either have or are close to shopping but it will be nothing like Nassua County. All in all it is a great place to raise a family. The link below will give you information on schools in Connecticut. I hope it helps. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 11-13-2009, 04:22 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May_Fair13 View Post
I would appreciate if anyone will point us to the right direction, Thanks!
Hi MayFair13. My sister in-law's inlaws work at Mohegan Sun. Are you planning to move mid school year?

I just checked the MLS and there are no SF home rentals in Middlesex and New London Counties. There are some in New Haven county but the commute might be longer than you wish. Milford is a nice place to live near Exit 40 but you'll be about 40 minutes away from work.

P.S - you could probably find a nice home to own for the amount of rent budget you have in mind.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:47 PM

181 posts, read 557,287 times
Quote:
Ha ha, yeah. I've just had some friends come up and be looking at homes and really like one in Eastern Point, Jupiter Point, or Groton Long Point, and then realize that the price tag is at or above the 1,000,000 mark. I don't look around at rentals too much, but I have seen that you can get some pretty nice houses in some really nice shoreline neighborhoods for around the $2400 range. I'll try to keep an eye out and post anything that fits that criteria. And like Snowman said, you definitely probably could find some nice houses for the cost that you are looking for, and that would probably open up your options quite a bit.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:12 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,341 times
In that market rentals are more likely to be listed on craigslist.org & newspapers than in the MLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut