Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 04:46 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times

Advertisements

Don’t get used to the warm air during the week. Another Arctic blast will hit us.

Possible Snowstorm next weekend. That’s our only chance at snow because I think we warm up afterwards until mid Feb.
All models are in agreement that there is significant moisture from a coastal storm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:03 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Hope you're right. Our snow cover right now in the Hartford area is rather wimpy!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
The westernmost of those possible tracks would usually mean rain except from maybe Albany and Springfield on north. Though with such a long cold spell in place compared to normal, maybe the "warm air" that such a track would pull would not be as warm.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:53 PM

Again, hate having 2 straight posts, but thought I'd note the long-range forecast, after having Thursday thru Saturday being in the 40s, now mentions after that a storm Sunday night into Monday and saying "chance of rain or snow". Amazing.......

Also (since Jay closed the last snowstorm thread where I noted this about Naples, FL), the Weather Channel is saying that some areas of the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area have received snow flurries/ice pellets last night. The only other time this has ever occurred there at least in the history of weather recording is the famous Jan. 19, 1977 event that put a coating over the whole area.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 01-10-2010 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
On another site I go to, one member from Miami stated she saw snow yesterday. However, looking in the Miami forum here last night I didn't see anyone mention snow.

I did know they had it up by Ocala, got a coating there. But that's 300 miles NNW.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The westernmost of those possible tracks would usually mean rain except from maybe Albany and Springfield on north. Though with such a long cold spell in place compared to normal, maybe the "warm air" that such a track would pull would not be as warm.
not a weather expert, please explain why, supposed to fly to Bradley the 18th

Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
not a weather expert, please explain why, supposed to fly to Bradley the 18th
When the track is west of here, the circulation around the low pulls in air from the ocean/sound, which is usually (in winter) warmer air. So it usually warms up enough that you get rain. Whereas if the track (the center of low pressure) is out on the ocean, the circulation is pulling in colder air from the north and it usually makes it colder and produces snow.

B

Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
Don’t get used to the warm air during the week. Another Arctic blast will hit us.

Possible Snowstorm next weekend. That’s our only chance at snow because I think we warm up afterwards until mid Feb.
All models are in agreement that there is significant moisture from a coastal storm
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...st-thread.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Also (since Jay closed the last snowstorm thread where I noted this about Naples, FL), the Weather Channel is saying that some areas of the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area have received snow flurries/ice pellets last night. The only other time this has ever occurred there at least in the history of weather recording is the famous Jan. 19, 1977 event that put a coating over the whole area.
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...right-now.html

Old 01-12-2010, 09:04 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post

All models are in agreement that there is significant moisture from a coastal storm.
Snowman, where do you get your long range forecasts? I'm glad to hear we may warm up through mid Feb. If that holds true it doesn't really surprise me because the weather always tends to balance out. Since it's been so cold for the past 6 weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see it warm up for the next 6 weeks.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Snowman, where do you get your long range forecasts? I'm glad to hear we may warm up through mid Feb. If that holds true it doesn't really surprise me because the weather always tends to balance out. Since it's been so cold for the past 6 weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see it warm up for the next 6 weeks.
NOAA. They are the experts with all the models. I'm just the monkey who tells it as is at that point in time. Right now models are showing a mixed rain event.

If it's boring, I dont post. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut