Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

It was 72 degrees here in Plainville today. I loved it. I am loving this thing called climate change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Temperatures at 6:11pm today.

Notice the cooler water keeping coast cooler than the Valleys and Inland. Some shades of yellow in there is mid 70s.

Also looks like the Adirondaks is in the 40s which is still warm for up there.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Here we go. None for NH for GraniteStater

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
537 PM EDT MON MAR 12 2012

..RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT HARTFORD CT

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 74 DEGREES WAS SET AT BRADLEY
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AT WINDSOR LOCKS CONNECTICUT AT 334 PM THIS
AFTERNOON. THIS BREAKS THE OLD DAILY RECORD OF 69 SET IN 1977.

--------------------------
RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
439 PM EDT MON MAR 12 2012

..RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 63 DEGREES WAS SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT
TODAY AT 3:58 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 61 SET IN 1973.

---------------------------

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
0516 PM EDT MON MAR 12 2012

..RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ALBANY NY

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 69 DEGREES WAS SET AT ALBANY NY TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 67 SET IN 1890.

--------------------------------------------------
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
0527 PM EDT MON MAR 12 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT SYRACUSE NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS SET AT SYRACUSE NY TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 67 SET IN 1977.

-------------------------------

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ISLIP NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 65 DEGREES WAS SET AT ISLIP NY TODAY AT
2:05 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 56 SET IN 1990.

----------------------

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT NEWARK NJ...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 73 DEGREES WAS SET AT NEWARK NJ TODAY
AT 2:55 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 68 SET IN 1973.

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT LAGUARDIA NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 69 DEGREES WAS SET AT LAGUARDIA NY
TODAY AT 2:49 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 63 SET IN 1973.

------------------------

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE TIED AT CENTRAL PARK NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 71 DEGREES WAS SET AT CENTRAL PARK NY
TODAY AT 3:17 PM. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 71 SET IN 1890.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here we go. None for NH for GraniteStater

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
537 PM EDT MON MAR 12 2012

..RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT HARTFORD CT

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 74 DEGREES WAS SET AT BRADLEY
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AT WINDSOR LOCKS CONNECTICUT AT 334 PM THIS
AFTERNOON. THIS BREAKS THE OLD DAILY RECORD OF 69 SET IN 1977.

--------------------------
RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
439 PM EDT MON MAR 12 2012

..RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 63 DEGREES WAS SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT
TODAY AT 3:58 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 61 SET IN 1973.

---------------------------

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
0516 PM EDT MON MAR 12 2012

..RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ALBANY NY

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 69 DEGREES WAS SET AT ALBANY NY TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 67 SET IN 1890.

--------------------------------------------------
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
0527 PM EDT MON MAR 12 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT SYRACUSE NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS SET AT SYRACUSE NY TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 67 SET IN 1977.

-------------------------------

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ISLIP NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 65 DEGREES WAS SET AT ISLIP NY TODAY AT
2:05 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 56 SET IN 1990.

----------------------

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT NEWARK NJ...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 73 DEGREES WAS SET AT NEWARK NJ TODAY
AT 2:55 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 68 SET IN 1973.

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT LAGUARDIA NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 69 DEGREES WAS SET AT LAGUARDIA NY
TODAY AT 2:49 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 63 SET IN 1973.

------------------------

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE TIED AT CENTRAL PARK NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 71 DEGREES WAS SET AT CENTRAL PARK NY
TODAY AT 3:17 PM. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 71 SET IN 1890.

As I noted earlier in this thread, you probably won't see much records broken the next few days because the next couple of days are part of a real "freak heat wave" in 1990 where temperatures were solidly in the upper 70s and 80s (some areas in the mid-Atlantic even had their earliest in the year 90-degree temp then.....Baltimore hit a stunning 95! I was working my first post-college job in Manhattan back then and remember the 85-degree mid-March day quite well). Bridgeport still has a shot as being "dead on the water" they were "only" in the mid 60s during those days back then (except for tomorrow's date as the winds were very "offshore" the first day of the stretch of heat and they actually were 84-deg).

Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,886 times
Just happened to see the title to a thread on weather for the Connecticut portion of CD and I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed, and it seems you have either a few folks who are well versed in meteorology or are actual meteorologists. I've attempted to start a thread for weather under the Okla. CD, but I haven't had a whole lot success in participation from others. I'll need to check this out a little more, maybe I'll fit in, because I am a Connecticut native (born in Rowayton near Stamford) and graduated school in Cornwall. I actually am LONG overdue for a trip back to CT. and New England in general.

Anyway.. on to the weather, Long range outlook is perplexing because of the strong, positive temperature anomalies centered over the Mississippi Valley, most everywhere east of the Rocky Mountains, which will persist through most of next week. I'm sure that with this anomalous warmth, they're may be a few who solely blame global warming.. not totally sold on that, but what's interesting is that these last two months, most of North America with the exception of Alaska was one of the only places that was ABOVE NORMAL in temperatures. Most of Asia, most of Europe, with the exception of the western U.K, much of northern Africa had an outstandingly cold winter, a far larger region of subnormal chill than I've seen in many years. We here in North America was the warm spot in the midst of a cold northern hemisphere, quite interesting. Anyway, more to come... glad this thread is here and I'll try to contribute whenever I can.. most of the time, you'll find me on the Oklahoma and occasionally Seattle, Washington boards talking weather or other musings that may cross my mind.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
That record temp was ANNIHILATED at islip by 9 degrees. And bdl was destroyed by a solid 5 degrees. WOW! 74 degrees before march 15 in southern england. That's what I'm talking about. GORGEOUS weather outside. Felt like a early june day. Really quite amazing. Snow season is over for sure now, so let's bring on the blowtorch! 70's is perfect weather.

As Cambium said, the water is in the mid 40's( WAY above normal) so the shore was a solid 10-15 degrees warmer than inland. Any southerly component to the wind, which is where all your warm air comes, and it blows over that water and you get a real solid maritime influence this time of year.

Poor Groton/new london only got to 57 degrees today! There's definetly a delay in spring/ early warm summer temps in southeastern ct every year, but the temp contrast is usually delayed and doesn't come to fruition until april/may, not early march! Very normal for the shoreline to be much colder than inland locations at that spring/early summer timeframe.

People think weather is "better" on the shoreline, but not always true. A little less snow than inland ct is simply trading snow for ice/sleet many times and they also miss out on this early warm weather.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It was 72 degrees here in Plainville today. I loved it. I am loving this thing called climate change.
lol....I hardly think having a one year warm pattern means global warming is occuring just as having one year of cold weather doesn't mean global warming isn't happening! The trend though obviously is a warming one with each decade of climatic normals(61-90, the 71-2000 ect.) gaining about .5 degrees each time it's released in nearly every station.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
That record temp was ANNIHILATED at islip by 9 degrees. And bdl was destroyed by a solid 5 degrees. WOW! 74 degrees before march 15 in southern england. That's what I'm talking about. GORGEOUS weather outside. Felt like a early june day. Really quite amazing. Snow season is over for sure now, so let's bring on the blowtorch! 70's is perfect weather.

As Cambium said, the water is in the mid 40's( WAY above normal) so the shore was a solid 10-15 degrees warmer than inland. Any southerly component to the wind, which is where all your warm air comes, and it blows over that water and you get a real solid maritime influence this time of year.

Poor Groton/new london only got to 57 degrees today! There's definetly a delay in spring/ early warm summer temps in southeastern ct every year, but the temp contrast is usually delayed and doesn't come to fruition until april/may, not early march! Very normal for the shoreline to be much colder than inland locations at that spring/early summer timeframe.

People think weather is "better" on the shoreline, but not always true. A little less snow than inland ct is simply trading snow for ice/sleet many times and they also miss out on this early warm weather.

Interesting that on the other hand, the temps are nearly identical at the 700mb (10,000ft) level on the shore vs inland even though the temps on days like this in spring are much warmer inland.

Talk about super stable air!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
That record temp was ANNIHILATED at islip by 9 degrees. And bdl was destroyed by a solid 5 degrees. WOW!
Remember that Islip only started recording weather in 1986 though. It only tied at Central Park, which has data going back to 1869 (and the record it tied occurred in 1890!).

Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I keep watching the weather forecasts, and yesterday it was 60's all this week, this morning it was low 60's and 59 Thursday, now it's 50's from Thursday through Sunday. The latest forecasts are getting cooler, why is that?
I was outside all day – it felt really nice. I was in Hamden and the highest bank temp I saw was 66 F, but I know several NWS reporting stations cracked 70 F in the afternoon! The buds are swelling on the trees and the daffodils are poking through, and I think soon we’ll see the yellow of the Forsythia. What is really nice is that we are just using up the last of the cool days of late winter/early spring with these nice warm temps. For lunch I went outside and sat in the sun against a south facing wall…and between the warm temps….the sun angle…and the birds making a racket – in felt like I was in a South American rainforest!

I guess this proves beyond any doubt – that the Bermuda High is still king of the hill when it comes to East Coast weather .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut