Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 AM

57 posts, read 99,010 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My family and I are moving to West hartford next weekend and need some tips on area amenities, etc. My kids are 4 and 10 and will have to finish out their school year when we get there. I have visited the schools websites and it seems that they are going to be at Aiken and King Phillip. I am just not sure about 2 things:

1. Does Aiken have PK? Since my son needs to finish up the last two months of PK I need to know where that will be.
2. How does extended care work? I didn't see anything that spoke to after school or before school care. I might need this since I work.

Also, what is available that isn't HUGELY expensive, for summer programs/camps? We are thinking about the JCC??

Finally, any advice on local doctors (family practitioners), grocery stores, parks, etc??

Oh, one more thing! What is the best way to go about heating oil?? This is new to us, it's gas out here in the midwest! we don't want to get hit with a $500 bill for oil and have to freeze to death! Can you just fill it little by little every month instead of waiting until it's empty and costs an arm and a leg?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:27 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
I really wish I can help you out, but I have no idea about the schools, etc. Do you have a place to live already?

West Hartford center is nice - they've built it up a LOT. I know West Hartford Center has whole foods, but otherwise I'm not sure what grocery stores are around.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 AM

Thanks! Yes, we just signed the lease (hooray) for a house on tumblebrook lane. I don't know if that is the center or not, but it's between N Main st and 185.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Hmmmm, I know North Main, but not 185. Or maybe I DO know 185 but as another name. LOL

If I could afford it, my first choice (tied) would be to live in WH Center, or Manchester (but we're not talking about Manchester, LOL). There is a lot to do there, and some great places to eat.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 AM

185 is also Simsbury rd. LOL

Old 04-25-2010, 07:41 AM

Ahhhh, I don't think I know that area. I'm mostly very fmailiar with WH closer to Newington/Hartford.

I know a little about Farmington Ave/WH Center, and as a kid we used to go to a doctor in Bishops Corner. But I never got to venture more into it.

Oh and I am familiar with Route 44.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,823 times
Based on our experience with propane, I would say you are going to pay a lot more per gallon to fill your oil tank little by little than all at once. The cost of transporting the oil to you several times instead of just once makes it very inefficient and costly for the oil company which will pass that along to you. In our experience (and again this is propane, but guessing oil is similar), you will not use very much from now until it gets cold again.

Once companies set their rates for the coming season (they haven't yet for propane but will soon), you will want to lock in with a company that has a good price. And yes it is a big chunk of money all at once, unlike the gas bill which is monthly so you may want to budget for the winter starting now.

Best wishes to you for a smooth transition and welcome to New England!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 AM

thank you! :-)

Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Hi there!

I live in West Hartford, near Simsbury Road, and the Stop & Shop grocery store in Bloomfield (North Main turns into Cottage Grove, which is part of Bloomfield) is pretty close.

However, we most often go to Waldbaum's, which is in the Bishops Corner section of West Harford, and is probably even closer to where you will be living.

There are other groceries that you might want to go to, in neighboring towns (Avon has Big Y; S. Windsor has Price Chopper; and there's a Shaw's a bit further down on Prospect), and none of them is too far to get to. But Waldbaum's and Stop & Shop (there's another on Farmington Ave, in West Hartford, but that would be more of a haul for you from your house than the one on Cottage Grove) will be the closest.

Oh, and Whole Foods for specialty stuff, whether in Bishops Corner or West Hartford Center.

As for parks, Elizabeth Park, part of which is on Prospect Avenue, is beautiful.

Pop on over to the JCC -- they'll provide you with a pamphlet listing all the options, along with their prices.

Welcome to West Hartford! I'm sure, once you move in, you'll find all sorts of goodies to keep you busy.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,846,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post

Once companies set their rates for the coming season (they haven't yet for propane but will soon), you will want to lock in with a company that has a good price. And yes it is a big chunk of money all at once, unlike the gas bill which is monthly so you may want to budget for the winter starting now.
Oil companies also do monthly budget pay plans where you pay a monthly fee all year long. There is no chunk of money needed all at once when you do it this way.

Our water heater uses oil but it such a small amount that during the summer we don't ever need oil delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut