Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,252 times

Advertisements

Take these kind of articles as you want, but it is nice to see West Hartford get some recognition.

10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Yahoo! Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I agree that West Hartford is a great town but find it kind of odd that it is being compared with major cities like Washington DC, Seattle and Austin. those are major metropolitan areas while West Hartford is just a suburb. anyway, for what it is worth, I guess this is a good thing. Jay

Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
It's nice and from what I've seen of it I agree it's a great city, but I agree with Jay here. I found the comparison odd. Maybe they're thinking it will take over Hartford as the "main" city in size the way San Jose took over San Fran and Oakland? But it would have to double to do that, I don't think West Hartford.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
West Hartford doesn't belong on this list, much as I love living in it. Having some restaurants and struggling boutique retail shops doesn't make you a top ten city. It's a very good, diverse, suburban community, which would be truly great if it were right next to a functional major city. The only bad thing about WH is that it's two hours to NYC or Boston.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:15 AM

I am getting tired of people saying that Hartford is such a bad city. It is not.

Hartford is NOT Boston or New York and that is a good thing. It is a very liveable city meaning that it is easy to live hear. There are not a lot of hassles like there are in bigger cities and yet there are so many amenities of larger cities that we all take for granted.

Hartford is also is a relatively affluent city. The metro Hartford area is one of the most affluent in the country and yet we still keep saying it is so poor. Many of the so called "hip" cities would love to have the corporate base that Hartford has. I just wish more people would see the good in this area.

Oh yeah, and without Hartford, West Hartford would not even be on this list which by the way is a pretty good honor. Jay

Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am getting tired of people saying that Hartford is such a bad city. It is not.

Hartford is NOT Boston or New York and that is a good thing. It is a very liveable city meaning that it is easy to live hear. There are not a lot of hassles like there are in bigger cities and yet there are so many amenities of larger cities that we all take for granted.

Hartford is also is a relatively affluent city. The metro Hartford area is one of the most affluent in the country and yet we still keep saying it is so poor. Many of the so called "hip" cities would love to have the corporate base that Hartford has. I just wish more people would see the good in this area.

Oh yeah, and without Hartford, West Hartford would not even be on this list which by the way is a pretty good honor. Jay
Jay, the reason people say Hartford is a poor city is because it IS poor - the state's poorest and one of the lowest income in the nation. I'm not hating on Hartford, these are facts. And no, I'm not happy about this downward spiral either. Impoverished neighborhoods, high crime, a tax base that's leaving for the suburbs as you stated earlier when commenting on Perez, the corruption of the elected officials - it's embarassing. Drive down Albany Avenue or Main Street north of downtown and you will see the results of neglect and poor city planning - the opposite of New England's Rising Star. Going through there, there's this sense that nobody is ever going to clean this up - it's as if the area is just damned and we should just accept that.

I really hope that at some point in my lifetime this city will improve - and not just be an entertainment district for suburbanites to spend money and then go home in their cars to McMansionland. The only way a city can truly function is if it becomes a places not only where people work or hang out but also live. But unless attitudes change and there'sa middle class segment that can prosper (which still exists, albeit much smaller than in decades past), I dont' see how this can happen. Many young people who live there seem to glorify living in the ghetto and like to perpetuate this. How can that help?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
West Hartford's opening a Chipotle. That alone would make it a good place to live imo.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
West Hartford's opening a Chipotle. That alone would make it a good place to live imo.
Wow! I did not know it was coming. Is it open yet? Funny that this is the first one in the state yet RI has two and NY and MA has many. You would think with all the money here they would open a few. Jay

Old 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wow! I did not know it was coming. Is it open yet? Funny that this is the first one in the state yet RI has two and NY and MA has many. You would think with all the money here they would open a few. Jay
They had free burritos last Thursday and the line was to the corner. No sure if they're officially open yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut