Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,514,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm sorry, i normally don't do this, but............................

Absolutely, HELL NO on that recommendation.

.......Unless, you think large quantities of disgusting fried crap piled on a plate constitutes a great experience.

I'll take quality over quantity.....
Remember Allen's East at the seawall. I heard they built a new place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 03:18 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,514,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Unfortunately, seafood is one area where we don't do very well, which is odd considering our location. Most people that i've talked to about seafood restaurants seem unanimous about Scribner's in Milford being the most consistent. I went once and thought it was good, but not good enough for the $$$$$. The Shell Station in Stratford is another stalwart that isn't bad overall. Their menu is small and the food is somewhat bland to me though. Let us know if you do find something really good. LOL.
They sell food at a gas station?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,888,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
what about Captain's cove in Bridgeport. It is not fancy but it overlooks the marina and is pretty fresh. I have not been there in years.
If you're going to do Bridgeport, i'd take the food at Dolphin's Cove over Captain's Cove.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM

490 posts, read 1,789,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
what about Captain's cove in Bridgeport. It is not fancy but it overlooks the marina and is pretty fresh. I have not been there in years.

Conte's in Westport closed a while ago. It relocated from the spot that is now Ruzzutos to the Westport Inn but did not last that long there. Too bad they were once very good. Jay

PS - For decor you can't beat Cobb's Mill Inn.
Oh, Jay...we all love your opinions but I have to say...Capitain's Cove???? the food is horrible. I feel like spitting it when I chew it.

I heard about a place called Jimmie's in West Haven, I think. I have not been there but maybe someone else knows it and can give an opinion.

Or why not drive a bit longer and go to City Island in The Bronx?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:01 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,964,749 times
I generally find that you're better off going to a really good restaurant that features seafood than a restaurant specifically dedicated to seafood. Often, restaurants specifically dedicated to seafood are mediocre tourist trap-type places.

I've been to many really good restaurants that have extensive seafood selections. Steakhouse almost always offer shrimp and lobster, and sometimes other types of seafood, and it is often quite good. High end French, Italian and American restaurants also usually have some very good seafood dishes, prepared in innovative ways, as opposed to the piles of fried mediocre stuff offered by the tourist trap seafood places.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:51 AM

588 posts, read 1,874,187 times
Thanks to all for your recommendations! We ended up going to The Restaurant at Rowayton Seafood. A bit pricey, but the stuffed lobster was very good. Service was great - we were seated within about a minute of showing up (although we would have had to wait if we wanted a water-side table - those are first come first served), and our waitress was on the ball - drinks were quick, and she was always around if we needed her without being obtrusive. Overall - would definitely go back.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:59 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Thanks to all for your recommendations! We ended up going to The Restaurant at Rowayton Seafood. A bit pricey, but the stuffed lobster was very good. Service was great - we were seated within about a minute of showing up (although we would have had to wait if we wanted a water-side table - those are first come first served), and our waitress was on the ball - drinks were quick, and she was always around if we needed her without being obtrusive. Overall - would definitely go back.
Great. I'm glad you had a good experience. I love eating out at really nice restaurants. I wish I could find a way to make a career of it...

Old 05-29-2010, 09:19 PM

34,982 posts, read 57,077,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Oh, Jay...we all love your opinions but I have to say...Capitain's Cove???? the food is horrible. I feel like spitting it when I chew it.
I said I had not been there in a while. Years ago it was pretty good since the seafood was fresh. Not sure about it anymore. It is also kind of casual. Oh well I guess I won't go there. Jay

Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 AM

173 posts, read 352,412 times
It's not a lobster shack, but Osianna in Fairfield is a wonderful, romantic restaurant with a lot of seafood and shellfish on the menu. I found this thread because I'm looking for more of the "bib-wearing, shell-cracking" type of seafood restaurant, but for a celebration, this place is one of our favorites.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM

74 posts, read 300,038 times
My brother-in-law's family own's Captain's Galley... hmmm, I guess I'll have to tell him what some of you think of it.

Other than the ambiance, I've always thought the food was good, and I'm picky. But I still would have voted for Lenny's in Stony Creek in Branford. Not big on romance and whatnot, but delicious seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut