Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM

752 posts, read 2,087,534 times

Advertisements

So....one day I get home and turn on the tv....a 32" flat screen HD TV bought from Wal Mart 3 months ago. The sound works, but there is absolutely no picture. What is going on? Not sure if hubby purchased the extended warranty or not, but i still have the warranty paperwork.

Is sthre a bulb or cable we should be looking at? Id call the Dish company but I don' think the problem lies with the cable co.

Any diagnosis help would be appreciated. The TV is an Emerson BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
So....one day I get home and turn on the tv....a 32" flat screen HD TV bought from Wal Mart 3 months ago. The sound works, but there is absolutely no picture. What is going on? Not sure if hubby purchased the extended warranty or not, but i still have the warranty paperwork.

Is sthre a bulb or cable we should be looking at? Id call the Dish company but I don' think the problem lies with the cable co.

Any diagnosis help would be appreciated. The TV is an Emerson BTW.
Do you have Dish or cable? How is the Dish or cable box connected to the TV? If it's HDMI, unplug it then plug it back in. You can also unplug the TV, and reset the Dish box-look on the front of the box for the reset button.

Call Walmart. They may be able to help you over the phone with this. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Seriously? Do you think we can diagnose without access to controls to see what, if anything happens when we do... this?

It could be as simple as the input was changed, it could be a power circuit that is gone. The manufacturer would be your first place to call for help.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,603,547 times
A model number might be helpful. Go Google and see what you find. This is what I came up with.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Is there a MENU button on the remote? Even if it is disconnected from everything, it should display the menus. If it can't, then its broken.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,411 times
Is the TV an LCD or an LED? (I'm presuming it isn't a plasma b/c I don't think Emerson makes those.)

Do you have spare cables? If so, try them. If that fixes the issue then your original cable is bad.

Do you have another TV in the house that you can temporarily hook up with the same cables that you hooked up the HDTV with? If so, try that and if there's a picture then we can definitely eliminate the Dish co. as a cause.

Check the original manufacturer's (Emerson) warranty that comes with the TV. Assuming the TV is defective, you might still be covered. The details are probably described in your owner's manual. If you don't have the manual, it's probably available online on Emerson's website.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,536 times
I have a similiar problem.
Have Emerson 40", model nr. LC 401EM 3F.
Pic just went out while watching. Still have sound. Tried youtube tips of backlight test and display menu with flashlight test. Negative on both.
When tv is powered on, it displays, in lower right corner, DIGITAL TV in big letters, then nil.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:26 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,007 times
I would think the first thing to do is to call Emerson, 'Hey, this TV...'.

I had a problem with a 39" Samsung, started a random opportunity thing where the screen would fade to black from the edge inward like the telescoping end of a show. Contacted Samsung, 'I want to start a conversation about random fade....'. Over a few months we worked through scenarios and fixes, downloaded an update and installed by USB. Finally got the okay to replace a video card. The repairman said they had a history of some problems with that card. Four months left on warranty, took ten minutes, a smile and a thanks. No cost.

There's probably a repairman in your metro. Don't delay.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:25 PM

142 posts, read 179,159 times
Cool Warranty

If you purchased the TV with a credit card, most will double the warranty up to an additional year if purchased new. So even a 90 day manufacturers warranty would go to 180 days. Call the credit card company.

For troubleshooting, if your set top box (cable, satellite TV, etc) is connected via HDMI, try another HDMI port. I've heard of them "going bad" if there is a defect on the TV's "main board."

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics