Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's not that simple. For instance, you may be able to put a dish on the roof of an apartment building, but if there is no coax wiring there, and the apartment rules do not allow for adding any wiring, then you can't have a dish. An upscale apartment or condo building, as an example, will not allow wiring to be run down the side of the building and will find a way to keep it from happening.

I dealt with the rules for several years. In some cases it was simply too much effort on the part of the buyer to bother with a dish.
You may not want to go to the trouble but it can be done.

"If you have an exclusive use area that is covered by the rule and need to put your antenna on a mast, the local government, community association or landlord may require you to apply for a permit for safety reasons if the mast extends more than 12 feet above the roofline. If you meet the safety requirements, the permit should be granted. Note that the Commission's rule only applies to antennas and masts installed wholly within the antenna user's exclusive use area. Masts that extend beyond the exclusive use area are outside the scope of the rule. For installations on single family homes, the "exclusive use area" generally would be anywhere on the home or lot and the mast height provision is usually most relevant in these situations. For example, if a homeowner needs to install an antenna on a mast that is more than 12 feet taller than the roof of the home, the homeowners' association or local zoning authority may require a permit to ensure the safety of such an installation, but may not prohibit the installation unless there is no way to install it safely."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You may not want to go to the trouble but it can be done.

"If you have an exclusive use area that is covered by the rule and need to put your antenna on a mast, the local government, community association or landlord may require you to apply for a permit for safety reasons if the mast extends more than 12 feet above the roofline. If you meet the safety requirements, the permit should be granted. Note that the Commission's rule only applies to antennas and masts installed wholly within the antenna user's exclusive use area. Masts that extend beyond the exclusive use area are outside the scope of the rule. For installations on single family homes, the "exclusive use area" generally would be anywhere on the home or lot and the mast height provision is usually most relevant in these situations. For example, if a homeowner needs to install an antenna on a mast that is more than 12 feet taller than the roof of the home, the homeowners' association or local zoning authority may require a permit to ensure the safety of such an installation, but may not prohibit the installation unless there is no way to install it safely."
As I said, how much effort and expense is TV worth?

Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 757 times
My Mitsubishi will not go on. My sister gave me the tv and it worked. They had cable and I don't will the tv turn on?

Old 08-26-2013, 03:57 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charangelo View Post
My Mitsubishi will not go on. My sister gave me the tv and it worked. They had cable and I don't will the tv turn on?
You need to provide some more details. What do you mean by "go on"? If you mean power up, then having cable would make no difference. If you mean that you don't receive any channels, then that could make a big difference.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,463,666 times
Wanted to update my situation with DirecTV. As I said in my post back in January, I was paying around $100+ a month for service. They wound up going up to $110, and I finally decided to call DirecTV and see if I could talk them down. It was like pulling teeth with the customer service rep, but I finally got them down to $80 a month. This was several months ago.

I didn't think we were going to be able to afford NFL Sunday Ticket this year, and I realized that the NFL package is on auto-renewal unless you call and cancel, so I called DirecTV last week to cancel the NFL Sunday Ticket, and they wound up offering me 50% off the price of ST, plus an additional $20 off on my overall monthly bill for the next 12 months, and a free upgrade tot he Whole-Home DVR Genie thing. Couldn't pass up the deal. Once I have paid for the NFL Sunday Ticket, my bill will only be around $56 a month until next August.

So, the rule of thumb - at least with DirecTV - is that they are open to negotiation on an annual basis. You do have to do your negotiation with their retention department, but if you get a good customer service rep, you can get your bill down close to what people usually pay for the new customer promotions.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM

134 posts, read 443,878 times
I ditched cable tv and stick with internet only. I use a combination of Netflix, Amazon Video, and iTunes for my content. Never had an issue and I've been saving a lot of money per month on stuff I don't watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics