Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,458 times

Advertisements

Hi: I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire. But I'm not seeing in the description that it has a keyboard. Does anyone know if you can type, say, emails, into it? I'm looking at this one:

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" - Stunning 8.9" Screen and Dolby Audio

I'm an Amazon.com affiliate, and have over a thousand ebooks (including three of my own) on my old Kindle (I have the very first model made, which I think paid $600 for), so I want to stick with the Kindle and not some other tablet. I have this notion that if I get this tablet I can shut off my ISP on my lap and turn my Smartphone off (which is a Walmart phone, which is great for internet, calendar and texting, but they never got the phone part to work, so I have a small throw-away cell phone).

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
So go directly to amazon.com and look at it. There is a photo on the front page there.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So go directly to amazon.com and look at it. There is a photo on the front page there.
That's my point; I'm looking at all the descriptions and don't see anywhere, that it says there's a keyboard function. If you have one, or have held and played around with one, then please let me know, if you can.

It doesn't actually have a keyboard, but I'm wondering if it has a keyboard function, some screen, in other words, that serves as a keyboard when you bring it up. Though if it had that, you'd think it would show it. But I don't see it.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,392 times
Yes, there is a keyboard function that comes up on the screen when you want to use it. It works like the screen on any other tablet. You touch the screen to enter each letter. Get a stylus. That makes it easier and keeps fingerprints off the screen. It seems odd at first to enter text by touching the screen, but before long it is quite natural and for tasks like email and brief forum comments, it is no problem at all. Some tablets have the option of adding an aftermarket physical keyboard, but I am not aware of that option with the Kindle Fire, but I haven't looked into that. The touch-screen keyboard works fine for my purposes.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:05 PM

Can you put a document on a flashdrive and load it onto the Kindle, or does it have tone done electronically?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 PM

The Kindle does not have a standard USB port (I believe very, very few tablets do), so there is nowhere to connect a standard flash drive. It does have two mini USB ports, so if there is a flash drive that connects via a min USB port, then that might work. As far as I know, the mini USB ports are for the power/charging cord and, I think, an HDMI cable, which I haven't used yet. I don't know anything about newer versions of flash drives and whether there is anything available that uses a mini USB port or even if those ports could be used for that. You could transfer the document electronically, though, for example via email.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 PM

Yes, if transferring large documents has to be done electronically then I have to keep my ISP alive.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM

To update: I got one of the Kindle Fires and I like it but can't send mail out ( it stays in my outbox), though no trouble receiving mail. And can't read pdf files, though I did download the program.

If anyone knows how to fix these problems, please let me know?

Also, I did not get, from the Amazon ad, that I would need wireless, so I had to set that up at the house. I just thought it would work anywhere, like my old Kindle did. Nope.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Regarding the email, check the email account settings on your Kindle Fire and make sure they match the settings on your PC/laptop/whatever other device you use for email. I have learned that when setting up email on a new device, the default port for outgoing mail is nearly always wrong. Fixing that to match the outgoing mail port on my other devices has always fixed the problem.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Can't you contact Amazon via the Mayday button like on the commercial? I'm sure they can address all of your issues.

Also, your Kindle probably used wi-fi. It just didn't work like magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics