Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times

Advertisements

You all are great- thanks for the good info.... now I want an IPod for Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I purchased an 8 gig IPod for my 14 YO for Christmas. What do I do now? Should I go online and set up an account so that he can download songs? I know that he will want to use it immediately on Christmas morning. And will he be able to use it without anything else? Do I need to get any accessories in order for him to use it? My mom has gotten him some really good speakers, but I mean will he need any cables or anything to hook it up to the computer?
you need to be very carefull when setting up the account, to purchase music off of Itunes store you will need to have a credit card entered into the account. I would do this with a password your son cannot figure out, so you can monitor how much he downloads. Even though the songs are .99 cents each, when you go nuts buying them, it very quickly adds up.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
I made a mistake in my previous post. Instead of saying
Quote:
For security reasons, save credit card numbers in you computer
, I should have said DON'T SAVE CREDIT CARD NUMBERS IN YOUR COMPUTER"

This is very important.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I made a mistake in my previous post. Instead of saying , I should have said DON'T SAVE CREDIT CARD NUMBERS IN YOUR COMPUTER"

This is very important.

LOL! I wondered about that!

My son loves older groups, so I purchased Zepplin, Hendrix, Van Halen, the Doors.....that way he can upload them to his IPod......and I can play them on my CD- heh, heh....

Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
LOL! I wondered about that!

My son loves older groups, so I purchased Zepplin, Hendrix, Van Halen, the Doors.....that way he can upload them to his IPod......and I can play them on my CD- heh, heh....
That should work very well.

I have been using my kid's iPod's for awhile now, and today I decided to read the instructions and learned a couple of new things the kids knew about, but I didn't

1. To turn the iPod ON, press any button on the iPod.

2. To turn the Click-wheel OFF, turn toggle switch at the bottom of the iPod to OFF.

3. To turn the iPod completely OFF, press and hold down the "Pause/Play" button on the Click-Wheel for about a second. The display will turn black, not just dimmed.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:59 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
I would wait on signing up for Itunes. Let him rip his CDs to the Ipod first.

Important note, music can take up lots of space on the computers hard drive. Like I have about 50 gigs worth. I would suggest you purchase an external hard drive with USB2.0. then when you intsall Itunes on the computer have it look to the external hard drive. Have him rip the CDs to the external hard drive. this way your system doesn't suffer as the hard drive fills up.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:49 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,787 times
I have an 80 GB iPod with over 6,000 tracks on it and I've never been to iTunes in my life; I refuse to use the software.

I use Media Monkey; it's awesome. Very good tool, and it's free.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:35 PM

He just got to pick one gift to open. I don't have the IPod out....he picked a CD....so now I bet he really doesn't expect the IPod.

I will remember Media Monkey.

All these suggestions on how to set up...I thought I was finished with this when we put the last bicycle together on Christmas Eve years ago.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I have an 80 GB iPod with over 6,000 tracks on it and I've never been to iTunes in my life; I refuse to use the software.

I use Media Monkey; it's awesome. Very good tool, and it's free.
iTunes is just a program you install on your computer. One can use iTunes to manage music, videos, and photos in the iPod, as well as for burning music CD's, DVD's, etc., or for sending the photos or music to your TV and stereo system. I use iTunes, but seldom go the the online store.

It's also true that you can set-up the iPod with other than Apple software, and there are a few out there one can use.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:28 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
iTunes is just a program you install on your computer. One can use iTunes to manage music, videos, and photos in the iPod, as well as for burning music CD's, DVD's, etc., or for sending the photos or music to your TV and stereo system. I use iTunes, but seldom go the the online store.

It's also true that you can set-up the iPod with other than Apple software, and there are a few out there one can use.
I know what iTunes is and what it does...I think it's a piece of crap. Software like this is kind of personal; some people love it, others hate it. Luckily there are alternatives out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics