Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:16 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,471 times

Advertisements

This is my theory..and it's unproven, unstudied, uncited, unsupported, personal opinion only:

---the more technology and devices a person has, the more unhappy they are.

Why? Too many incompatibility issues, connectivity, and other problems the more devices one has...

Has anyone gone away on a technology retreat, unplugged and re-discovered themselves?

Or, are you blissfully happy being connected all the time everyplace you go--- and suffer from technology withdrawal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
This is my theory..and it's unproven, unstudied, uncited, unsupported, personal opinion only:

I'm betting they weren't so happy in the first place.

Quote:
Why? Too many incompatibility issues, connectivity, and other problems the more devices one has...
Then they bought technology they didn't understand, didn't learn about the product after they purchased it (I'm guilty of this with my Smartphone), or simply didn't hire someone to help them hook it up.

Quote:
Has anyone gone away on a technology retreat, unplugged and re-discovered themselves?
Yes, I have unplugged for weeks when I am out of the country, but no, I didn't "rediscover" myself. I wasn't lost when I unplugged.

Quote:
Or, are you blissfully happy being connected all the time everyplace you go--- and suffer from technology withdrawal??
No, I'm not plugged in "all the time everyplace I go", but I value the benefits that technology allows me to easily access WHEN I WANT THEM.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-31-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 01:13 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,471 times
"When I want them" is terrific...sounds as though you can opt out at will. I do wonder how many of us are "hooked" and must check texts, Facebook, Twitter, cellphone when it calls--much like Pavlov's dogs automatically salivated at the sound of kibble rattling into their food bowl.

I realized this myself the other day after viewing the 1001st video of cute dogs/cats/kids (fill in the blank). I managed to avoid taking the test to find out what kind of jello I am. (lol)

How much of my one precious life am I wasting on this garbage?

Can I dis-engage? Or am I hooked, too?

Not feeling too proud of myelf just now...living among the Land of the Great Time-Wasters as I am.

Now signing off to write an essay!

Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
"When I want them" is terrific...sounds as though you can opt out at will. I do wonder how many of us are "hooked" and must check texts, Facebook, Twitter, cellphone when it calls--much like Pavlov's dogs automatically salivated at the sound of kibble rattling into their food bowl.

I realized this myself the other day after viewing the 1001st video of cute dogs/cats/kids (fill in the blank). I managed to avoid taking the test to find out what kind of jello I am. (lol)

How much of my one precious life am I wasting on this garbage?

Can I dis-engage? Or am I hooked, too?

Not feeling too proud of myelf just now...living among the Land of the Great Time-Wasters as I am.

Now signing off to write an essay!
Actually, I think the cute dogs/cats/kids etc photos are pretty much the same as what we all did BEFORE we had all this technology. We read flipped through magazines and looked at the pictures. We read comic books. We enjoyed photo albums of family and vacations. It's only the delivery method that has changed, and the communication surrounding that delivery method.

Me? I still bring a book to the dentist office so that I can turn away from the People Magazine that's sitting on the table. Or I'll play Angry Birds on my phone.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 AM

531 posts, read 758,970 times
Quote:

Try that on your health without technology. The 1st out is antibiotic, then keep counting...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
We used to go on this canoe trip for 8 days each year. Only thing we'd take is a radio. My one buddy would bring his cell phone but he'd turn it off and leave it off. It did come in handy the one year, took 12 hours but by 2AM and 12 beers later we had a new canoe.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
Try that on your health without technology. The 1st out is antibiotic, then keep counting...
My one buddy that went on canoe trip with us was a pharmacist. He'd bring a small stash of penicillin and some other things. Honestly though the last time I took an antibiotic was almost 30 years ago. That was for an ear infection that wasn't going away on it's own.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:06 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Well, I'm in a long distance relationship and technology has allowed me and the gf to be as close to each other as possible during these times. So, no, I'd be unhappy without it.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I simultaneously love and hate technology.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
I don't think I've ever been happier at any point in my life and I have every gadget known to man.
Theory fail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics