Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
Hello,
I would like to buy a new lap top. With good memory, power etc. Thin, wireless.
I don't do any wild games or graphics.
Would you recommend an Apple and if so what kind?
Or a Toshiba?
Why or why not?
Thank you in advance.
Get the kind of computer that your geeky friends have since you will be turning to them for help. If they use Macs get a Mac, if they use Windows, get a Windows computer.

You'll need to consider weight, battery life, monitor size, keyboard size. If you store a lot of music and videos, you'll need to consider hard drive size too. Personally I haven't used over 120GB on the laptop hard drive so I only buy Solid State Drives SSD

All MacBooks have gone to non replaceable memory modules too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,068 times
Hello I decided on this:
Toshiba Satellite Laptop Computer With 156 Touchscreen Display Intel Core i7 4710HQ Processor S55T B5273NR by Office Depot

Toshiba
15.6 screen size
8gb memory
1T hard drive

<My only issue is that it doesn't have a DVD burner so i cant play my DVD's.
I tried buying a memorex but it was not compatible. Trust me , myself and Office Depot geek (I love him) tried and it would not work!
Thank you for all your feedback!

Old 11-29-2014, 04:13 PM

260 posts, read 326,192 times
Quote:
Hello,
I would like to buy a new lap top. With good memory, power etc. Thin, wireless.
I don't do any wild games or graphics.
Would you recommend an Apple and if so what kind?
Or a Toshiba?
Why or why not?
Thank you in advance.
If some-one asks me to recommend a laptop, I would recommend MSI. People have asked this before, "What are you going to use it for ?" Then we can give you options.

For instance, I am a computer programmer, I use the double RAM that most people use and also a good processor.

Do you want to play games ? Are you looking for an Internet machine ? Do you work with graphics? Do you carry it around or do you keep it at home. Is weight and screen size important? Do you want to interface it with your TV? (Then you need HD graphics with TV output).

Some people only use Apple, I use only use MS Windows.

I think that Dell is better then Toshiba, but determine your requirements and then bargain shop.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:

I tried buying a memorex but it was not compatible. Trust me , myself and Office Depot geek (I love him) tried and it would not work!
A) You don't need a DVD BURNER to WATCH DVD's.
B) You mean you tried using an external Memorex DVD drive? And it didn't work? That doesn't make a lot of sense, you absolutely should be able to plug in a USB DVD Drive and watch movies.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Hello I decided on this:
Toshiba Satellite Laptop Computer With 156 Touchscreen Display Intel Core i7 4710HQ Processor S55T B5273NR by Office Depot

Toshiba
15.6 screen size
8gb memory
1T hard drive

Thank you for all your feedback!
Like a Mac, did you have a DVD in the drive as that is when it gets recognized? I use the Memorex MRX-650LE in both in a PC and Mac and both wait for a DVD to be loaded. Also did you plug in the thick wire, thin wire or both?

fyi
On Toshibas after the initial 90 days have passed they now charge you to talk to them($30). The 1 year warranty is for repair only. Also if it requires repair, you have to pay for shipping it to them or pay them $30-$40 in advance and they will send you a pre-paid box for shipping.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:13 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,521 times
asus has free lifetime tech support unlike some companies!! I would avoid DELL at all cost there tech support is a complete joke nothing but a bunch of desk jockeys that read from a script. then they always want remote access to your pc trust me they ****ed up my pc many times because they did not know what they were doing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics