Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:12 PM

323 posts, read 1,791,400 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I would like to buy a new lap top. With good memory, power etc. Thin, wireless.
I don't do any wild games or graphics.
Would you recommend an Apple and if so what kind?
Or a Toshiba?
Why or why not?
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
What's your budget? What's your current tech "ecosystem" look like? If you have an iphone/airport/apple tv/etc, you may as well go with Macbook air if you don't have to constrain to a small budget.

Otherwise we'll need to at least know the budget to hone in on a good recommendation. Maybe an ASUS Zenbook UX301 or a Dell XPS 13.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Adyn posed some good questions. One that I would add is: What do you use now and what software do you use/own?

If you don't want something fast, but really thin, I recommend the ThinkPad X1 or MacBook Air.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,400 times
Hi,
I have a Samsung galaxy phone and a Galaxy Pad. (I bought the pad before the phone).
My budget is within 1,000. range. Give or take.
Thank you

Old 11-13-2014, 08:49 AM

Take a look at the hp spectre:

HP Spectre 13 Ultrabook Review - Editors' Choice - LAPTOP

Most important things to remember for a laptop:

-You cannot change the processor or video (without addon cards, yuck) so get the best you can afford if you want it to last.

-You CAN increase the memory but be wary, if the laptop has 2 memory slots it's a good chance they'll both be filled and you'll have to replace one or both to increase it. By this I mean if you wanted to add 1GB of memory to the laptop, you probably won't be able to just buy a 1GB RAM stick, you'll have to buy one that will be as large as the old one plus the new desired amount. Also motherboards have limits on how much memory they support, so try finding that out before you go off buying memory (if you ever feel the need)

-An SSD instead of a hard drive makes the laptop feel almost immeasurably faster. I wouldn't buy a laptop without an SSD these days. Having said that, SSDs are much smaller than traditional hard drives, comparing GB/$ spent. If you need lots of space, a large SSD may be out of your price range.

I'm sure others will have similar advice, hopefully they would chime in.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Buy a MacBook air. It's the best laptop ever made.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Buy a MacBook air. It's the best laptop ever made.
Wow, that's a hefty claim. Please, elaborate.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Take a look at the hp spectre:

HP Spectre 13 Ultrabook Review - Editors' Choice - LAPTOP

Most important things to remember for a laptop:

-You cannot change the processor or video (without addon cards, yuck) so get the best you can afford if you want it to last.

-You CAN increase the memory but be wary, if the laptop has 2 memory slots it's a good chance they'll both be filled and you'll have to replace one or both to increase it. By this I mean if you wanted to add 1GB of memory to the laptop, you probably won't be able to just buy a 1GB RAM stick, you'll have to buy one that will be as large as the old one plus the new desired amount. Also motherboards have limits on how much memory they support, so try finding that out before you go off buying memory (if you ever feel the need)

-An SSD instead of a hard drive makes the laptop feel almost immeasurably faster. I wouldn't buy a laptop without an SSD these days. Having said that, SSDs are much smaller than traditional hard drives, comparing GB/$ spent. If you need lots of space, a large SSD may be out of your price range.

I'm sure others will have similar advice, hopefully they would chime in.
If the bold part is a concern, the OP better check before assuming that's true. A lot of laptops have the RAM soldered directly to the motherboard now. The HP Spectre 13 (and the Pro version) and the Macbook Air mentioned elsewhere both have the RAM soldered to the motherboard. It's important to get what you need at the time of purchase.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If the bold part is a concern, the OP better check before assuming that's true. A lot of laptops have the RAM soldered directly to the motherboard now. The HP Spectre 13 (and the Pro version) and the Macbook Air mentioned elsewhere both have the RAM soldered to the motherboard. It's important to get what you need at the time of purchase.
Good point, I did not know HP was doing this now.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Only ULTRABOOKS are doing this. Not "standard" laptops. Having removable panels adds size so to keep them skinny they take away screwed on doors and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics