Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 12:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,932,659 times

Advertisements

We currently have FiOS for internet & phone and we love it. We are switching from DirecTV, which we like, to FiOS for TV later this week for a package deal savings. For people who have used both for TV recently, which do you think is better? Which one has better options? Does one have a noticeable difference in video, audio and speed?

Any other input, especially on FiOS TV, would be appreciated.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,241,649 times
I had FIOS at my other house before I moved and loved it. I had it for internet, tv and phone. I loved the quality of the tv picture and the internet was lightening fast. Sadly, the town I moved to does not offer FIOS and probably never will. I have Direct Tv now and it sucks. Big time. I let them buy my phone number and I couldn't get my phone to work. I switched back to Verizon. No problems now. I miss my FIOS so much.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I had FIOS at my other house before I moved and loved it. I had it for internet, tv and phone. I loved the quality of the tv picture and the internet was lightening fast. Sadly, the town I moved to does not offer FIOS and probably never will. I have Direct Tv now and it sucks. Big time. I let them buy my phone number and I couldn't get my phone to work. I switched back to Verizon. No problems now. I miss my FIOS so much.
Thx.

Is are the video and audio noticeably better with FiOS than with DirecTV?

Are the FiOS TV features better and faster than with DirecTV?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:39 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,241,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Thx.

Is are the video and audio noticeably better with FiOS than with DirecTV?

Are the FiOS TV features better and faster than with DirecTV?
IMO, yes, FIOS is superior to Direct Tv on everything. One BIG problem I have with Direct Tv is when it rains. I lose channels. Not all but some and it drives me cray-cray! I have called and had them out here so many times. Rewire, different position, new satellite, nothing works. I give up and pray for little rain.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
IMO, yes, FIOS is superior to Direct Tv on everything. One BIG problem I have with Direct Tv is when it rains. I lose channels. Not all but some and it drives me cray-cray! I have called and had them out here so many times. Rewire, different position, new satellite, nothing works. I give up and pray for little rain.
We are in Florida and lose the signal during afternoons storms, right when the race is coming to the checked flag. We have 100% reception, but it still gets blocked. That is my only complaint. Anxious to see the quality of FiOS.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:13 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,897,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv
I had FIOS at my other house before I moved and loved it.
I havent ever had FIOS but its gotta be better than DTV which I had and finally got rid of 2 years ago........ (Hardily anything but rubbish on and I was paying $50 a month for nothing really)

Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,105,560 times
Compare the channels for each package for dish, directv, fios. Same package of channels, dish to fios, fios is missing about 17 channels. If you want them it's $10 more a month. When the fios teaser rate expires, your monthly bill will be $160 a month.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:33 PM

I am more concerned about video and audio quality, as well as features and speed of remote control/channel switching.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,254,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I havent ever had FIOS but its gotta be better than DTV which I had and finally got rid of 2 years ago........ (Hardily anything but rubbish on and I was paying $50 a month for nothing really)
Every TV provider has the same basic set of channels--DirecTV, Comcast, FiOS. So if you thought DTV was rubbish, FiOS will be the same rubbish.

The OP is asking about picture quality, not channel selection.

I have both Comcast & DirecTV. I find DirecTV is compressed just a tad more than Comcast, and to an eagle eye, one can see the difference. But we're talking very minor difference. I have heard that FiOS is the least compressed of all, and has the best picture quality.

As an aside, we have some hellacious thunderstorms on the Gulf Coast, and my DirecTV rarely has a problem. I haven't lost a signal maybe 2-3 times in the last 2-3 years. And even then, only for a few minutes. During most rainstorms, even heavy ones, the picture comes thru no problem. Not sure why tamiz is having a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics