Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 03:36 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

I just moved into an older house and I am trying to figure out how the previous owners had their TVs set up. I just purchased an antenna and stuck it in the attic and it works fine. I ran the cable direct down the stairs to my living room to test the signal. Obviously I don't want to keep it like this. Can I somehow reuse the coaxial outlets that were previously used for the satellite dish the previous owners had? I saw there was a Zinwell 2x4 multiswitch . If I somehow got my antenna cable into one of the "SAT" inputs on that multiswitch, would I be able to get 4 antenna signal connections to my 4 outlets?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
TV/Satellite Cable is 75 Ohm cable. If the output of the antenna is to 75 Ohm coaxial cable, and a TV antenna almost certainly is, the connection should be just fine.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:21 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I saw there was a Zinwell 2x4 multiswitch . If I somehow got my antenna cable into one of the "SAT" inputs on that multiswitch, would I be able to get 4 antenna signal connections to my 4 outlets?
A standard one in, four out splitter is pretty cheap. I doubt that the Zinwell multi switch will hurt to try, but it is easy enough to replace. You could get one at Amazon or Walmart

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7vu4cmyx69_b

Old 05-19-2015, 06:19 AM

336 posts, read 591,589 times
I have found that a powered splitter works better for OTA HDTV signal that the passive one I had before. Cost-wise it is not much of a different.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Yes you can use the old wires.

I'm guessing all of the satellite wiring and switch is outside the house and you don't want to punch a hole from the attic to the outside.

You can try to take your test cable and plug it into one of the wall outlets and plug your tv into another outlet. If it doesn't work replace the satellite switch. The satellite switch is actually an intelligent switch that uses power from the satellite boxes that selects input 1 or 2. Based on what I've seen with dish network installs, I don't think you can use their switch.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
No problem connecting the attic antenna to what use to be the wire for cable or sat TV. all three are ok with the 75 Ohm wire to all rooms. In my case, I have DISH and they don't carry any sub channels like ME tv, grit, GET, so I ran another cable. Lucky me that the garage shares the wall with the living room. One wire for antenna channels, one wire for the dish. Co-ax to co-ax in on TV, HDMI from sat receiver to HDMI 1 on TV. Switch between input on remote no problem. All other rooms connected to antenna wire.
Go to antennaweb.org or tvfool.com to make sure the antenna is pointed exactly at the transmission tower for the strongest signal.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:12 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
No problem connecting the attic antenna to what use to be the wire for cable or sat TV. all three are ok with the 75 Ohm wire to all rooms. In my case, I have DISH and they don't carry any sub channels like ME tv, grit, GET, so I ran another cable. Lucky me that the garage shares the wall with the living room. One wire for antenna channels, one wire for the dish. Co-ax to co-ax in on TV, HDMI from sat receiver to HDMI 1 on TV. Switch between input on remote no problem. All other rooms connected to antenna wire.
Go to antennaweb.org or tvfool.com to make sure the antenna is pointed exactly at the transmission tower for the strongest signal.
I'm guessing you don't have a multiroom DVR from Dish. You can use a pair of diplexers to combine the signals onto one 75 ohm wire then use another one to split it out. This is how they setup their multiroom DVR, it sends the signal for the second TV using a UHF channel like channel 60.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
^^^^^
I don't want or need a DVR. Don't want the problems of the DVR, don't want to pay for something that will never be used. If by chance there is a concert on AXS channel that needs recording, I use my DVD-R.
With all the OTA channels I get, I don't even know why I still have DISH.
btw- even though the 211k receiver has a co-ax in, having a separate wire from the antenna directly to the TV and having a HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV HDMI 1 works perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics