Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times

Advertisements

We have an old RCA VCR and a remote made by RCA. When the batteries are installed and we press the on-off button it turns red and blinks until we release the button. Same thing when we press the VCR-DVD button.
One article said to press both the on-off button and the VCR button at the same time, hold them down and press the play button every 5 seconds until the VCR turns off. It never did. Any tricks?
--------------------
We have a Magnavox that works fine with it's remote but it only has two recording speeds and the tape can only record 2 hours which is too short.

The RCA has three speeds. We have more than one so called universal remotes and two RCA remotes. We have tried both RCA remotes and not getting any results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The reality of older electronics is that the EPROMs begin to get flaky. Sometimes the ones in the remote fail first, sometimes the ones in the receiver end fail.

Currently, I have an Onkyo receiver that has to have a universal remote to adjust the volume, a Panasonic DVD player/burner that won't operate from the control panel on the front, a Hitachi TV that also needs a different controller to turn it on and off, and a VCR that is giving me some issues I haven't yet nailed down. On the plus side, I have a VCR/DVD combo unit that didn't work when I bought it, but now works fine.

Sometimes I just want to drag out the old Super 8 projector and watch grainy film, but the mag stripe has come off some. Even my 3D stereocards from the 1800s are fading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics