Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:05 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

What consumers are discovering is what large companies discovered long ago.
You have to re-record your data to a new medium and new format constantly.
While the media can have a long life, drives and software do not.

Or, in the case of entertainment, you forget about physical media and watch what Netflix allows you to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:14 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think PCs are doing away with DVD drives. I can't remember last time I used mine.
For laptops it is a power hungry bulky device.

Some PC's are doing away with hard drives as well and using internet based software.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:37 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog811 View Post
This.

Unlike magnetic tape, which is very delicate and degrades over time even when stored and handled in ideal conditions, commercially produced DVDs and CDs are very stable. There will be collections of playable discs around for many, many years after the formats have disappeared from the retail market. The demand for players will continue long after it's no longer possible to buy new releases in those formats.
Disagree. The medium doesn't matter, tape or disc. So you're saying companies stopped making VCR's because... tapes don't last as long? No... they stopped for the same reason they will stop making DVD players, too: demand. It doesn't matter how cheap they can make them... when they only sell a few 100 a year... they won't make anymore...

Old 06-26-2018, 10:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Economics is not the only reason a new format takes over. Technology has a lot to do with a change in medium. Streaming is the reason DVD's will no longer be popular. Same thing with CD's. But hey, CD's took over albums and now vinyl is coming back? It's still a physical medium where streaming is not. Maybe nostalgia has something to do with it but sound quality is another. As far as music, many prefer the sound with analog over digital.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:57 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I didn't say economics had anything to do with a new technology taking over.

I was specifically referring to Paco's comment, and to a lesser degree, BigDogs "Demand will continue". I should have quoted Paco, though.

"Best Buy is advertising their in-store brand DVD player for $19.99 ($10 off sale).There is no reason for all the manufacturers to stop producing such an inexpensive item."

It doesn't matter how cheap a company can make them. There is absolutely a reason. If they aren't selling a lot, they aren't going to continue to make them just because they can cheaply. Also: economies of scale. When your making 5,000 things it is going to be a lot cheaper then just making 100 of those things.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I've started converting my favorite DVDs to digital copies through Vudu Disc to Digital, but it costs me $5 to convert each one, so it can get pricey. It's very easy to do though because all you have to do is scan the barcode on the DVD with your phone and it automatically downloads the digital copy to your library.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I've started converting my favorite DVDs to digital copies through Vudu Disc to Digital, but it costs me $5 to convert each one, so it can get pricey. It's very easy to do though because all you have to do is scan the barcode on the DVD with your phone and it automatically downloads the digital copy to your library.
Why on earth would you do that? You can get software to do the same. One time purchase. You stick the disc in the drive, make a few clicks and you have your digital copy. Do you have a PC?

Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
DVDs and CDs have been doing fine. I can't see them being replaced any time soon.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If there is no issue, don't worry about it.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:29 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Why on earth would you do that? You can get software to do the same. One time purchase. You stick the disc in the drive, make a few clicks and you have your digital copy. Do you have a PC?
I do have a PC, but I want to be able to stream the movies to my TV via Chromecast.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:15 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That's almost always technically illegal. Ironically that makes people who didn't buy the disc at all much more likely to copy it than those that did. Or for someone to spend $5 per disc to convert through an overpriced service.

It shouldn't be illegal. We should press our representatives to make it not illegal. Unfortunately digital entertainment companies are well organized and well funded and consumers are not. So politicians listen to them. There are a lot more of us, and ultimately we are the ones who vote, so if we made it important things would change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics