Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 08:51 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times

Advertisements

Have you ever used your Amazon Fire as a picture storage unit?

If yes, what did you use and how did it perform?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 04:48 AM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
Warning: No I have not and off-topic response follows.

One thing some consumers don't realize when they buy their Amazon tablet from a great company for a great price, is that Amazon chose to fork in their own direction with their Android tablets, and away from industry-standard compatibility. Hence their tablet consumers are left to find out through trial and error how compatible they are. Every other non-Amazon Android tablet does not have that problem. I stay away from Amazon tablets for their lack of compatibility.

I like to take a lot of pictures. My first criteria for storing pictures is seamless automatic recovery from the cloud should my hardware fail. I believe Amazon's cloud does that.

One of the best features of cellphones is if you take a picture with an Android phone, it automatically gets backed up to the cloud. Then you don't have to do anything for it to appear on your industry-standard Android tablet, as Google Photos does this seamlessly in the background. Same with Apple products. If your pictures are from a regular camera, then you have to work a little harder to get them safely stored, backed up and on your tablet.

Last edited by akrausz; 12-13-2021 at 05:34 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 08:55 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Thank you!

Old 12-13-2021, 10:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Amazon tablets has Amazon Photos which you can install on any android device as well. Offers the same functionality as Google Photos except that for prime members, you get unlimited storage, Google is 15gb total, plus you can store youre photos in original quality. Not possible with google unless you pay extra. Amazon photos works the same, you take a picture, it backs it up to the cloud. If you have a firestick as I do, you have access to the same photos from there and you can view your pictures on the big screen as well as use them as a screen saver.

You can install Google Play on Amazon tablets, thereby giving you access to all of the google play apps.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Amazon tablets has Amazon Photos which you can install on any android device as well. Offers the same functionality as Google Photos except that for prime members, you get unlimited storage, Google is 15gb total, plus you can store youre photos in original quality. Not possible with google unless you pay extra. Amazon photos works the same, you take a picture, it backs it up to the cloud. If you have a firestick as I do, you have access to the same photos from there and you can view your pictures on the big screen as well as use them as a screen saver.

You can install Google Play on Amazon tablets, thereby giving you access to all of the google play apps.
Cool. When you edit the photos in Amazon Photos, do those edits show up on a Chromebook and Windows laptop automatically like they do with Google Photos? Can the photos be also edited on a Chromebook and have the edits show up on the phone like with Google Photos? I have a regular camera that uploads my photos via wifi to Google Photos. Does Amazon Photos have similar integration with cameras without additional steps. Or is Amazon Photos not that far along?

That's nice that Amazon tablets can be configured to access the Google Play Store. Here is a set of instructions which require installing 4 .apk files unique to the device, among other steps. The author says it is not in-depth hacking, which I read to believe it is every-day hacking that many will be able to do. Are these the correct instructions?

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how...n-fire-tablet/

Last edited by akrausz; 12-13-2021 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 02:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Cool. When you edit the photos in Amazon Photos, do those edits show up on a Chromebook and Windows laptop automatically like they do with Google Photos? Can the photos be also edited on a Chromebook and have the edits show up on the phone like with Google Photos? I have a regular camera that uploads my photos via wifi to Google Photos. Does Amazon Photos have similar integration with cameras without additional steps. Or is Amazon Photos not that far along?

That's nice that Amazon tablets can be configured to access the Google Play Store. Here is a set of instructions which require installing 4 .apk files unique to the device, among other steps. The author says it is not in-depth hacking, which I read to believe it is every-day hacking that many will be able to do. Are these the correct instructions?

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how...n-fire-tablet/
That should work for the play store instructions. Just make sure that the instructions are for your model of tablet.

As for the photos questions, as long as you install the app on your chromebook and your phone and they are logged into the same account, you edit the photos in the cloud, they will appear across devices. The integration is there.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That should work for the play store instructions. Just make sure that the instructions are for your model of tablet.

As for the photos questions, as long as you install the app on your Chromebook and your phone and they are logged into the same account, you edit the photos in the cloud, they will appear across devices. The integration is there.
Cool. I went and installed Amazon Photos and then I went to amazon.com/photos on my laptop. Some things I noticed:

I edited a photo I took today on amazon.com/photos. After over an hour the photo was still showing a very low resolution. On photos.google.com it shows high resolution immediately. I went to crop the photo. Amazon did not understand that the photo needed to stay in portrait mode. Google new to keep the photo in portrait mode.

Google Photos has an Auto Filter which analyzes the picture and adjusts over a dozen settings like exposure, color, sharpness, etc. It's not perfect, but I use it a lot. Then I can see what adjustments it made and tweak them if necessary. Usually the Auto Filter is all I need to really make the photo come to life. Amazon does not have an Auto Filter.

So now I have two versions of the photo. One edited on Amazon and the original on Google. They did not sync and I did not expect them too. So if you edit your photos on Amazon, and you continue to use Google Photos, the two systems will be out of sync. It's really one or the other if you choose to edit and/or delete photos.

I took a picture with my regular camera that has WiFi. The camera uploads the photos to Google Photos. It does not upload the photos via WiFi to Amazon Photos. I would have to take the card out and stick it into a laptop every time and then back into the camera.

So after 15 minutes, this is not a comprehensive review by any stretch of imagination. I think they are both good, and Amazon probably wins if you rely on Amazon devices. But I certainly would not dump Google Photos for it, as it is more advanced in the areas that I need.

And the "everyday hack" required on their tablets to run standard Android apps (that every other Android tablet can run without having to follow those instructions) is an issue for some.

Last edited by akrausz; 12-13-2021 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 593 times
[url]https://shrinke.me/CXqHJMm1[/url]

Watch this

Old 12-14-2021, 08:58 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Have you ever used your Amazon Fire as a picture storage unit?

If yes, what did you use and how did it perform?
As mentioned - if you have Prime, Amazon Photo is included with unlimited storage for photos (there is a cap on video storage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Cool. I went and installed Amazon Photos and then I went to amazon.com/photos on my laptop. Some things I noticed:

I edited a photo I took today on amazon.com/photos. After over an hour the photo was still showing a very low resolution. On photos.google.com it shows high resolution immediately. I went to crop the photo. Amazon did not understand that the photo needed to stay in portrait mode. Google new to keep the photo in portrait mode.

Google Photos has an Auto Filter which analyzes the picture and adjusts over a dozen settings like exposure, color, sharpness, etc. It's not perfect, but I use it a lot. Then I can see what adjustments it made and tweak them if necessary. Usually the Auto Filter is all I need to really make the photo come to life. Amazon does not have an Auto Filter.

So now I have two versions of the photo. One edited on Amazon and the original on Google. They did not sync and I did not expect them too. So if you edit your photos on Amazon, and you continue to use Google Photos, the two systems will be out of sync. It's really one or the other if you choose to edit and/or delete photos.

I took a picture with my regular camera that has WiFi. The camera uploads the photos to Google Photos. It does not upload the photos via WiFi to Amazon Photos. I would have to take the card out and stick it into a laptop every time and then back into the camera.

So after 15 minutes, this is not a comprehensive review by any stretch of imagination. I think they are both good, and Amazon probably wins if you rely on Amazon devices. But I certainly would not dump Google Photos for it, as it is more advanced in the areas that I need.

And the "everyday hack" required on their tablets to run standard Android apps (that every other Android tablet can run without having to follow those instructions) is an issue for some.
I think that may be a setting or something...? I have no problems uploading photos automatically onto Amazon from any of my devices w/ Amazon Photo installed. Certainly Google may be more seamless if you have a Google/Android phone. Just as iCloud would be more seamless if you had an iOS device. When I had a Pixel, it would upload both Amazon Photos and Google Photos almost at the same.

I can't speak to the photo editing capabilities of either as I don't typically use them.

I think the big word of caution with any of these cloud storage units is that you might be somewhat tied to it. Moving it from one to another may take some effort. I know there is a tool to move photos from iCloud to Google. But I don't know if Amazon does anything (or a good 3rd party tool exists).

Amazon likes to make it easy to bring data in... but not out. That's pretty much their MO when it comes to AWS. Ingress is often free. But egress... not so much.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I think that may be a setting or something...? I have no problems uploading photos automatically onto Amazon from any of my devices w/ Amazon Photo installed. Certainly Google may be more seamless...
I checked again today on amazon.com/photos and all my photos still shows in low resolution. Doesn't matter if I use a Chromebook or a Windows 11 laptop. I was not able to find a setting to fix the problem on amazon.com/photos. But the correct resolution is there, because when I edit a photo with either laptop it loads the higher resolution. I have to edit each photo just to see if it is in focus. So a significant seam for me. Of course that's just my personal experience so far.

Last edited by akrausz; 12-14-2021 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics