Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2023, 08:58 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,321 times

Advertisements

I'm running a Technics Sl-1200 MK4 through a Yamaha RX-596 Receiver. Problem is I'm only getting sound from the right speaker on Phono, everything else plays through both speakers like CD, Tuner, etc. At first I was getting at least a low volume from the left speaker, but now I get nothing.

I know the problem isn't the turntable because I also tried a spare turntable I have, and the same result happens. I swapped the RCA jacks behind the receiver to test and when I do I get sound from the left channel instead of the right.

I'm leaning towards there being a dirty switch in the receiver somewhere, but was looking for some guidance from others who perhaps have diagnosed the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 04:50 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Unclear from your explanation if you replaced the RCA cable as well. Although mine were permanently connected to my turntable, maybe yours aren't. The receiver RCA ports get dirty. Watch some YouTube videos on how to clean them.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:07 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
1) swap cables left to right. does the drop follow

2) if it does not follow, see me or someone like me to check out the phono eq section in the amp

3) if it does follow, pull and re-seat the stylus

4) remove the headshell

5) check the teeny tiny little colored wires for continuity from cart to tonearm/headshell contacts.

thats where I would start

Old 09-19-2023, 03:34 PM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
1) only getting sound from the right speaker on Phono (with low volume on left)
2) tested with another TT - only sound from right
3) swapped Right and Left cables at receiver - only left speaker works

Because you said you swapped connections (Left / Right) at the receiver and have been able to hear both left and right speakers, the issue does not appear to be in the receiver.

Based on how you wrote those items, it sounds like the same RCA cables were used for both times you tested, correct? Guessing this since I believe the SL-1200 has female RCA plugs for connection rather than hard-wired RCA cables.
If so, do you have another set of RCA cables to try?
If not, but to further test before buying a new set, make connections with the turntable normally and test. If you hear the right speaker only, try removing and re-seating the RCA plugs at both the turntable and receiver. While doing this, twist the RCA plugs in the connectors of the turntable and receiver (to possibly make better contact on the connectors, which can get corrosion buildup and cause signal loss).
Test again - right speaker only? Swap the RCA plugs (left / right) at *both* the turntable and the receiver.
Test again - if left speaker only, the cable is bad and should be replaced.

Old 09-19-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Unclear from your explanation if you replaced the RCA cable as well. Although mine were permanently connected to my turntable, maybe yours aren't. The receiver RCA ports get dirty. Watch some YouTube videos on how to clean them.

Both turntables use different RCA cables so yes I experimented with two different sets, but thank you though as this is often the problem.

Old 09-19-2023, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
1) only getting sound from the right speaker on Phono (with low volume on left)
2) tested with another TT - only sound from right
3) swapped Right and Left cables at receiver - only left speaker works

Because you said you swapped connections (Left / Right) at the receiver and have been able to hear both left and right speakers, the issue does not appear to be in the receiver.

Based on how you wrote those items, it sounds like the same RCA cables were used for both times you tested, correct? Guessing this since I believe the SL-1200 has female RCA plugs for connection rather than hard-wired RCA cables.
If so, do you have another set of RCA cables to try?
If not, but to further test before buying a new set, make connections with the turntable normally and test. If you hear the right speaker only, try removing and re-seating the RCA plugs at both the turntable and receiver. While doing this, twist the RCA plugs in the connectors of the turntable and receiver (to possibly make better contact on the connectors, which can get corrosion buildup and cause signal loss).
Test again - right speaker only? Swap the RCA plugs (left / right) at *both* the turntable and the receiver.
Test again - if left speaker only, the cable is bad and should be replaced.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you are correct in that I used two different sets of RCA cables with both turntables. The SL-1200 has a removable set, my other turntable which is a Sanyo has hard wired one's. So it leaves me stumped because I find it hard to believe I'd have two bad sets of rca cables, however I will try a third set just to rule it out completely.

If I determine it's indeed not the rca cables what else could it be?

Old 09-19-2023, 06:11 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Most likely? Bad left channel preamp in the receiver. If so, buy an external preamp and connect the output of that to a tape input.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:15 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
for grins I pulled the SM for the receiver....

you have to determine if the the problem is in the interconnects (RCA cables)

one way to be sure real fast is use the turntable interconnects for a cd player. do you hear both cd channels on the cd input?

DO NOT plug any non turntable stuff into the phono input jacks. its expecting 3mv, not 150 - you can blow sh** up.

that being said, if you can prove a set of rcas work both sides, then the issue is LIKELY mechanical in the TT - see my above post.

In the SCM contained in the SM for the 596, the phono eq is 'IC301' - an NJM2068 dual op amp with high gain set (lots of NJM2088s in there for DC coupling) I looked at how it is wired and all the gain is in the op amp, the bootstrap to the inverting input COULD have a shorted cap to ground - 220uf-6.3v which you can glue in a 220uf -10v safely - even 220uf 16v no problem but I doubt that is the problem.

and if the mechanical signal path is not the problem test pins 1 and 7 for output by bridging to the CD input...1 and 7 are the different channels but I doubt that is the problem either - they just dont fail in this application and if they did, you can still get them.

Prove the interconnects FIRST. and if they are ok gotta look stylus, cart, wires, tonearm wires to rca terminals. thats where I would spend my money.

also, without pulling the TT SM, is there a cart output short in there active when not on the record? sometimes there is and they tend to be mechanical as well, mebbe one side aint releasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics