Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 06:01 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

My current laptop is running Windows 8.1 which has been unsupported since Jan. 2023. My husband thinks this is a security risk. So...I'm looking at new laptops.

Wanting: Gen 13, Memory 32 GB, an AMD chip (?), and very good for running my new website, maybe some light video editing capabilities, runs Window 11 Pro.

I don't really care about screen size as I have a separate large screen. And I use a tractor ball mouse as the touch screen seems to give me carpal tunnel pain.

I'm not a computer geek, but I am a heavy user and want something very dependable. My 2015 Dell has been bombproof but wondering about other brand options.

What's your take if you were shopping??

Thanks mucho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 07:46 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...f=variantstack

Why do you think you need Pro?

Old 04-10-2024, 07:50 AM

[quote=Peregrine;66627511]https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...f=variantstack

Why do you think you need Pro?[/QUOTE

'Cause my spouse told me so! And I always listen. lol.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:36 PM

And as a Professional supporting end users and hardware for over 20 years I can promise you: you don't need Pro.

Don't need 32GB of RAM either unless you are doing animation or CGI. 16 is plenty. 8 would probably be OK unless you're a gamer but the one I shared with you has 16.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:47 PM

666 posts, read 425,466 times
It is "track and ball" btw

Also "Gen N number" is an Intel marketing nomenclature and so wouldn't be descriptive of an AMD product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
for running my new website, maybe some light video editing capabilities

I am a heavy user
Interesting
Quote:
What's your take if you were shopping??
Well, since you asked, I would certainly avoid anything with Windows (as you correctly identified, it is indeed a security risk ).

And if I had to work within the given parameters, I would find Intel only acceptable from vendors who disable the Intel Management Engine; like Purism, for example.

Quote:
Our products are designed from the hardware on up to respect you and your digital life, they come with physical hardware kill switches for your camera and microphone, with all known hardware backdoors completely neutralized and disabled (Intel Management Engine)
(Emphasis mine)

Of course, the real solution is to buy hardware which doesn't need to have backdoors "neutralized". De-clawed, if you will. What a sad state of affairs we are in that the very hardware of most consumer electronics cannot be trusted.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:43 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
It is "track and ball" btw
Seeing as you went there, it is actually "trackball", btw.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:30 PM

A friend recommended Lenova laptops--I've no experience with them? Any good? Another friend is big on Asus..it just keeps getting more confusing...

I've gone to the Dell site--they seem fine--but kind of pricey? I want good quality that lasts...

Old 04-12-2024, 05:32 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
A friend recommended Lenova laptops--I've no experience with them? Any good? Another friend is big on Asus..it just keeps getting more confusing...

I've gone to the Dell site--they seem fine--but kind of pricey? I want good quality that lasts...
I'd pass on the Lenovo laptops. Lenovo is what a lot of companies use who want to save money. HP and Acer are other brands I personally would not consider. They are no where near as good as Asus and Dell. If you are running/managing a website/business, maybe you should also look at Apple Macs. Macbook Air and Macbook Pros are very very good for what you are looking for. If I were in the market for a laptop, I would ONLY consider MacBooks.

I primarily use my home PC but the wife and kid both use MacBook Airs for work and school and they LOVE them.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:43 AM

Disagree. Lenovo is fine. Agree though avoid Acer and HP.

Dell and Asus are good. MSI is too.

"Seems kind of pricey".... "I want it to last"....
Pick one or the other. Cheap isn't going to last.

I shared a Dell with you that's pretty damn good for $599. What's wrong with that? If $599 is too expensive then you shouldn't be buying

Here's another one with a 16 inch display.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...f=variantstack

Old 04-16-2024, 12:46 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I'd pass on the Lenovo laptops. Lenovo is what a lot of companies use who want to save money. HP and Acer are other brands I personally would not consider. They are no where near as good as Asus and Dell.
Unless you're getting.a Lenovo ThinkPad X,T, or W/P series. Those are some of the highest quality laptops on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics