Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 05:16 PM

116 posts, read 61,790 times

Advertisements

Here's a starting point (powered speakers with line in and remote) https://www.google.com/search?client...+in+and+remote
I added 'remote' as a convenience in case the speakers wouldn't be placed near your usual listening position. Use some caution when looking at off-brands.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 02:45 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,597,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I'd like to buy a cd player (maybe Marantz CD6007) and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Do I need to also buy a receiver to get the cd player to work?
Yes, you do. A CD player, regardless of brand, just plays the CD, or Record, (turntable) or Tabe (tape deck)

So, what DRIVES the speakers, is NOT the CD player. It's the amplifier or receiver that does that.

If you tell me more about the speakers - acoustic suspension or bass reflex? Brand? Model? Year? How large is your woofer? That is the part that emits bass sounds. Besides a tweeter, (High sounds) do you have a mid-range speaker?

I can lead you in the right direction, but only with that information. What you now have in an incomplete component system.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:40 AM

1,118 posts, read 663,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can lead you in the right direction, but only with that information. What you now have in an incomplete component system.
My goodness, there must be over 10 posts in this thread! I know, that can be a lot to read, so here is the Reader's Digest version. He was given options and decided to go the powered speaker route.

Now that you are all caught up...lead away!

Last edited by akrausz; 04-30-2024 at 06:58 AM..

Old 04-30-2024, 05:45 AM

17,466 posts, read 22,211,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
That should trigger a comment or two in a thread with "audiophile" in the title.
Guy was looking for a simple way to play CDs. I'd say the Bose product for what you will pay for it will be a lot of bang for the buck and its compact.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Guy was looking for a simple way to play CDs. I'd say the Bose product for what you will pay for it will be a lot of bang for the buck and its compact.
Agreed.

The reason for my comment was that some "audiofiles" seem to put Bose in the highly over-rated category, where people buy their products just for the brand name. While Bose has made some great speakers (the 901 was maybe even revolutionary in its design), I think both sides of that discussion have some merit. Personally, my Bose car system sounds great.

Last edited by akrausz; 04-30-2024 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-30-2024, 06:48 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,634,055 times
Quote:
I'd like to buy a cd player (maybe Marantz CD6007) and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Do I need to also buy a receiver to get the cd player to work?
or an amp...if small, head to parts express and get one of the cool lepai tripaths, (beware of 'lepy' clones on amazon, I just sent a brand new one I got for free to the trash...the chinese clone chip is junk)

Or if you are close stop in, I still got a bunch of restored stuff from my closed store.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:54 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,634,055 times
Quote:
Ok...so then I should be able to connect a cd player to speakers with built-in amplification. Thanks!

volume, tone balance concerns? if they are bluetooth powered speakers then the source sends the volume, if they are wire connected, then the pre-amp side sends the volume...

Old 04-30-2024, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
volume, tone balance concerns? if they are bluetooth powered speakers then the source sends the volume, if they are wire connected, then the pre-amp side sends the volume...
Just plug a CD player into something like this and it has all the bells and whistles:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8PFN4IRUQ&th=1

Also another variation of the powered speaker not to be overlooked is a soundbar, especially one with a wireless subwoofer. The powered speaker market has come a long way in the past couple decades.

Last edited by akrausz; 04-30-2024 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-30-2024, 09:00 AM

45,726 posts, read 27,348,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Just plug a CD player into something like this and it has all the bells and whistles:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8PFN4IRUQ&th=1

Also another variation of the powered speaker not to be overlooked is a soundbar, especially one with a wireless subwoofer. The powered speaker market has come a long way in the past couple decades.
If you like full sound, a subwoofer is the way to go.

If no subwoofer - then Bose has been the best consumer option I have heard. I'm sure there are better super premium options out there that are out of my price range.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:12 AM
exm

3,737 posts, read 1,796,771 times
Quote:

What's your budget? Do you have speakers? Looking for new or used? Do you also want to stream?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics