Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:47 AM

6,458 posts, read 4,967,909 times

Advertisements

A pair of amplified speakers with wired inputs should do the trick and one of those outboard Schitt DAC converters makes a big difference in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 08:12 AM

4,628 posts, read 2,761,364 times
All this business of how to link this equipment to that equipment has little to nothing to do with sound quality.

Bookshelf speakers are ineherently not going to deliver true high quality sound. To accurately and pleasingly reproduce midrange and bass notes, you need large cones in large enclosures moving large amounts of air. Taking teeny tiny little speakers and overboosting some of the range and putting big thumpy subwoofers to shake the floor is NOT a high quality approach to sound reproduction.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:10 AM

45,726 posts, read 27,348,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
All this business of how to link this equipment to that equipment has little to nothing to do with sound quality.

Bookshelf speakers are ineherently not going to deliver true high quality sound. To accurately and pleasingly reproduce midrange and bass notes, you need large cones in large enclosures moving large amounts of air. Taking teeny tiny little speakers and overboosting some of the range and putting big thumpy subwoofers to shake the floor is NOT a high quality approach to sound reproduction.
In general your are correct.

But this is what I had set up in my prior home in the last few years.

I put the subwoofer inside of my small wood TV stand to amplify the bass effect for the living room. The smaller speakers were placed near the TV. I ran the TV audio and aux/phone audio through the system.

I easily had the output to send decent sound to the whole house (3,400 sq ft) from that TV stand. I did have to crank up the treble knob to get enough highs. I controlled the amount of bass from the EQ on the Pioneer receiver to make sure it wasn't too boomy. I was able to push the speakers w/ the Pioneer, but couldn't have the output too high.

It wasn't ultra-high quality... but was it decent quality? Absolutely... especially with the low money spent.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:42 AM

1,118 posts, read 663,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
...one of those outboard Schitt DAC converters makes a big difference in my experience.
The DAC in the OP's $600 CD player is inferior to the Schitt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Bookshelf speakers are inherently not going to deliver true high quality sound...
Agreed that bigger sounds better, generally. But consistent with the OP's stated space requirement, people are opting for smaller and more versatile speakers to satisfy their needs for sound quality to play some music. Audiophiles are cringing.

Last edited by akrausz; 05-02-2024 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-02-2024, 12:00 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,042,778 times
The title was misleading...the OP's question is not an audiophile one. It was just about how to hook up a CD player to speakers.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:42 PM

116 posts, read 61,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
"white vans"!
Used to be blue vans up in the New England area.
"Hey, Hey Buddy! Want to buy some speakers? My boss said we're overstocked and that I can't bring them back! I can let you have them for a great price!"
Person: "What brand are they?"
Guy answers: "Bosstown Acousticals" (trying to make a play off of Boston Acoustics...)

Old 05-10-2024, 08:50 AM

1,118 posts, read 663,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
The title was misleading...the OP's question is not an audiophile one. It was just about how to hook up a CD player to speakers.
He is looking to spend $2k on an audio system and asked for opinions from audiophiles (presumably because he wants something decent). Works for me.

NJ2MDdude, what did you buy?

Old Today, 08:30 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,958,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
He is looking to spend $2k on an audio system and asked for opinions from audiophiles (presumably because he wants something decent). Works for me.

NJ2MDdude, what did you buy?
From Crutchfield -

1. Marantz CD6007 CD Player

2. Klipsch The Sevens Speakers

3. T-Spec Premium Cable

I have yet to receive the cable. For some unknown reason, UPS required a signature for the cable but not for the other two items. Since I wasn't home when UPS attempted to deliver, the driver left a note indicating that the cable would be delivered the following day. Unfortuantely, UPS delivered the cable to another house. So, I'm awaiting resolution before I remove the cd player and speakers from the shipping boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics