Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,358,080 times

Advertisements

I have worked in high voltage substations for over thirty years . I'm talking about voltages over 500 ,000 volts . I do NOT have cancer , I do NOT have liver or kidney disease and have fathered two healthy sons . Stop believing everything you read .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,245,222 times
another way to tell the difference is telephone lines are within a jacketed cable; you'll see a black cable and its attached directly to the pole.

primary electrical lines are uninsulated; you'll see the bare metal and its not directly on the side of the pole. like someone mentioned earlier, look for the insulator.

i know all areas are different, but the majority of telephone lines are underground. maybe you see verizon servicing television cable lines?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:18 PM

806 posts, read 2,886,001 times
Most phone and cable lines are underground in neighborhoods, unless it's an old(er) one.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 AM

18 posts, read 58,197 times
Not a myth and maybe you should educate yourself before spreading lies.

Electromagnetic radiation is dangerous and depending on where you are in the electromagnetic field and the intensity determines the damage to the human body.

Now I am sure you know more than me, I am only an Electrical Engineer, and also a Voice Data Engineer of 36 years. Yes that is Sarcasm.

I grow tired of Internet know it alls spreading false information as if they had a clue about what they babble about.

The human body can be adversely effected and even in some ways positively effected by magnetic fields. In most all cases electromagnetic radiation from power lines can be dangerous. There have ben a number of studies designed to prove that this type of magnetic field is safe and instead the data showed otherwise and the studies were hidden in locked file cabinets in back rooms. Fact is farms where livestock is allowed to graze under a high tension power line of 100,000 volts or higher have been known to develop tumors and offspring that have mutations/birth defects at many times that of live stock not exposed to these situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
nO, IT'S A MYTH.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 AM

Lucky you and I know of a number of coworkers including myself who has been riddled with tumors and skin cancer. There are exceptions to every rule the first fundamental rule of any study. In smoking lung cancer deaths we can all point to a number of people who never get cancer. I know my father was a two pack a day smoker and at age 80 never had a single problem. Yet I have 6 family members that died of lung cancer and two friends who smoked less that dad did. So what does this mean?

It proves that there are always exceptions to every rule. But no one with any hint of sanity would argue that lung cancer and smoking are unrelated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I have worked in high voltage substations for over thirty years . I'm talking about voltages over 500 ,000 volts . I do NOT have cancer , I do NOT have liver or kidney disease and have fathered two healthy sons . Stop believing everything you read .

Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Typically the lowest lines are cable television if there is cable in that area. Then the next set of lines above cable are telephone, then above the telephone are Power company secondary lines usually 220/240 volt lines. Above that are the Primary lines and the voltages range depending on the area from 12,000 to 17,000 volts and in some rural areas higher is a possibility.

So typically if all the utilities are pole mounted you will see 4 different attachment points on a standard utility pole. Now if one or more utilities are underground then the pole hardware change will reflect that missing utilities that are buried. Now in many areas the burials are only short bury, meaning they actually are carried to the area of the property then come down a pole either from a transformer or to a ground set transformer via burial. Those transformer are usually green metal boxes when on the ground.

I hope this helps a little....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm about to buy my first home. I am trying to figure out if there are any high voltage power lines near the property. I haven't seen any in the immediate neighborhood, but then again I think I'm confused as to what they look like. I know what the huge high-voltage power lines look like, that are generally in less populated areas, where you can hear the buzzing coming from them, but are there smaller power lines that are in residential areas, and if so how do these differ from telephone lines? I am confused between the difference between a telephone line and a power line. How can I identify them?

Can anyone provide any insight?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,454,873 times
When I lived in Florida, the nicer neighborhoods had their power lines buried. You might not immediately understand why but when you think about the hurricanes you get it.

I would want to live near power lines for the reasons mentioned and for this reason either. Here in Texas we had a storm, tree came down, took the power lines down. I like em buried...

Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,297,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
it's pretty simple

on any utility pole the power lines are at the top

telephone and cable are below the power lines
this!!!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:02 PM

21,164 posts, read 19,761,393 times
Stand under the wires at night with a flourescent light bulb.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:59 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,245,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailenforcer View Post
Not a myth and maybe you should educate yourself before spreading lies.
My understanding of that post was to say living near the lower voltage residential won't cause adverse health problems.

Quote:
then above the telephone are Power company secondary lines usually 220/240 volt lines. Above that are the Primary lines and the voltages range depending on the area from 12,000 to 17,000 volts and in some rural areas higher is a possibility.
The primaries you see in a residential area are typically going to be 7.2kv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics