Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 AM

18 posts, read 58,155 times

Advertisements

So my question is if it makes you dizzy and sick is it healthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
When I was a child we had a high voltage power line on the other side of our back fence..my brothers would build forts in the legs and play all day...it never seemed to bother them. I, on the other hand, couldn't get within 50 feet of the thing with out getting dizzy, an upset stomach and headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 AM

18 posts, read 58,155 times
You might keep your job as a Walmart greeter

Seriously now! The primaries here are 12 KV according to the system owner at the power company here, but I suspect you know more than he does.... Welcome to Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
My understanding of that post was to say living near the lower voltage residential won't cause adverse health problems.

The primaries you see in a residential area are typically going to be 7.2kv.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailenforcer View Post
People should actually read a post before making comments

our educational system is in failure.

they were asking about power lines in a residential neighborhood; what did you miss?

Quote:
You might keep your job as a Walmart greeter

Seriously now! The primaries here are 12 KV according to the system owner at the power company here, but I suspect you know more than he does.... Welcome to Walmart
we weren't talking about your neighborhood. we were talking about power lines in general; and residential primaries are typically 7.2kV. They might be fed from a 12kV distro line by the highway, but usually its lower within the neighborhoods.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
In most all cases electromagnetic radiation from power lines can be dangerous.
What cases aren't dangerous??

Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,805 times
...I think that driving into the poles kills more people than the wires overhead do.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm about to buy my first home. I am trying to figure out if there are any high voltage power lines near the property. I haven't seen any in the immediate neighborhood, but then again I think I'm confused as to what they look like. I know what the huge high-voltage power lines look like, that are generally in less populated areas, where you can hear the buzzing coming from them, but are there smaller power lines that are in residential areas, and if so how do these differ from telephone lines? I am confused between the difference between a telephone line and a power line. How can I identify them?

Can anyone provide any insight?
Kibbles, if you're worried about health issues from 12,000 volt lines, this (500,000 volt) video should help.

High Voltage Cable Inspection - YouTube

Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 AM

48 posts, read 101,536 times
There are many electrical engineers and it sounds like you may be a poor one. I hope you do understand that there is a difference between magnetic fields and electrical fields. Most of the concerns that have to do with childhood cancers or leukemias have to do with magnetic fields. Yes, power lines do emit a small magnetic field, typically around 2milliGauss. To see the significance of this, you have to realize that the earth itself emits a magnetic field that is at least >100x more so you can get more exposure from standing around in your yard. In fact, you are guaranteed to have leukemias, lymphomas and any other cancers if you simply live long enough. Human body eventually breaks down and cancers develop. There are no respected studies that show that magnetic fields or electrical fields from power lines cause any cancer. I think you may want to educate yourself before "spreading lies"

Power Lines and Cancer -- To Move or Not to Move - ABC News

Quote:
Not a myth and maybe you should educate yourself before spreading lies.

Electromagnetic radiation is dangerous and depending on where you are in the electromagnetic field and the intensity determines the damage to the human body.

Now I am sure you know more than me, I am only an Electrical Engineer, and also a Voice Data Engineer of 36 years. Yes that is Sarcasm.

I grow tired of Internet know it alls spreading false information as if they had a clue about what they babble about.

The human body can be adversely effected and even in some ways positively effected by magnetic fields. In most all cases electromagnetic radiation from power lines can be dangerous. There have ben a number of studies designed to prove that this type of magnetic field is safe and instead the data showed otherwise and the studies were hidden in locked file cabinets in back rooms. Fact is farms where livestock is allowed to graze under a high tension power line of 100,000 volts or higher have been known to develop tumors and offspring that have mutations/birth defects at many times that of live stock not exposed to these situations.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Fact is farms where livestock is allowed to graze under a high tension power line of 100,000 volts or higher have been known to develop tumors and offspring that have mutations/birth defects at many times that of live stock not exposed to these situations.
As the youtube video above clearly shows, this is a lie.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Typically the primary is 12 to 15 kv line to line, 7 to 9 kv to ground. Some could be as high as 34 kv line to line, mostly industrial. Once you get 20 ft away from the lines, not directly underneath, the magnetic field is rather low. A larger hazard is an electric blanket, much stronger for anyone lying beneath.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,123 times
See:
UTILITY POLES

It's out of date, but still mostly accurate. The "neutral space" is now called the "Safety space."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics