Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:36 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

You guys make me laugh! I promise you that those trailer parks look pretty ratty in person, I guess the camera made them look better?

Otherwise, you're right that there aren't really any "bad" parts of town. Having said that, there are certainly some run-down places out in the countryside although not nearly what it was like 20 years ago. Historically, the Cumberland Plateau has been dirt poor, and some parts are still pretty poor, but in the last 20 years or so it's been getting better.

At any rate, I'm glad y'all are enjoying the pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 PM

128 posts, read 408,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You guys make me laugh! I promise you that those trailer parks look pretty ratty in person, I guess the camera made them look better?

Otherwise, you're right that there aren't really any "bad" parts of town. Having said that, there are certainly some run-down places out in the countryside although not nearly what it was like 20 years ago. Historically, the Cumberland Plateau has been dirt poor, and some parts are still pretty poor, but in the last 20 years or so it's been getting better.

At any rate, I'm glad y'all are enjoying the pictures!
Well, like I said, compared to so cal, ratty isnt so bad. I lived in a "ratty" trailer park here for 3 years. And what did I see while there you ask? four dead bodies from over doses on drugs, several meth labs, a couple of them exploded, fights and attempted suicides outside our door, people passed out cold in the driveways, break-ins, attempted murders, and prostitutes-prostitutes everywhere. Oh yeah, my three sisters in one way or another were all sucked down into the trailer trash way of life. but thats so cal. i'm assuming theres non of that in TN.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
Well, like I said, compared to so cal, ratty isnt so bad. I lived in a "ratty" trailer park here for 3 years. And what did I see while there you ask? four dead bodies from over doses on drugs, several meth labs, a couple of them exploded, fights and attempted suicides outside our door, people passed out cold in the driveways, break-ins, attempted murders, and prostitutes-prostitutes everywhere. Oh yeah, my three sisters in one way or another were all sucked down into the trailer trash way of life. but thats so cal. i'm assuming theres non of that in TN.
That sounds horrible! But remember that there's some of that element pretty much everywhere, although hopefully not nearly as much as what you had to put up with. There are meth labs in Tennessee, but they've done a pretty good job lately of cracking down on them (no pun intended). I think for the most part the meth labs are confined to really remote areas. I hope.

And even though the really cheap housing in Cookeville is probably mainly college students and hard-working, wonderful Hispanic families, I'd still lock my doors at night.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 PM

128 posts, read 408,976 times
[quote=JMT;1685378]There are meth labs in Tennessee, but they've done a pretty good job lately of cracking down on them (no pun intended). I think for the most part the meth labs are confined to really remote areas. I hope.quote]

I remember when I was there a couple years ago, and every time they found or shut down a meth lab, it was headline news in the paper and on TV. lol. I thought it a little sad. Every time that happens here its like, 'oh, thats nice, how quaint.' The officials think they can beat it, but they cant. It will eventually grab TN and pull it down too.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
I guess you never been too Scootmoore,Fl A new mobile home is a resided 1957 Airstream. with the young-ins playing in a old gradall tire out back with their 1 eyed dog named jack handle.......

Old 10-09-2007, 05:13 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I live in a trailer park and I am sure most would consider it ratty. But it is just one street and we actually each have our own yard. Cops never get called, no fights, no drugs, so far (guy across the street has a criminal record, due to drugs, but he has been doing well since he moved here five months ago).

But we see a lot of trailer parks that are just horrible. I would be terrified to live there.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 AM

421 posts, read 1,690,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post

I remember when I was there a couple years ago, and every time they found or shut down a meth lab, it was headline news in the paper and on TV. lol. I thought it a little sad. Every time that happens here its like, 'oh, thats nice, how quaint.' The officials think they can beat it, but they cant. It will eventually grab TN and pull it down too.
Cookeville/Putnam County has already pulled itself out of the meth "gutter",so to speak.Not saying there aren't any more labs at all,I'm sure there are somewhere. But the meth problem was 10 times worse here from the late '90's to the early 2000's.Has diminished rapidly every since.
Most of the credit,in my opinion,is due to the Cookeville city council,who made Cookeville the first municipality in TN to require people to show I.D. & sign for any decongestant with Ephedrine/Psuedoephedrine,and limit quantities of meth ingredients you can buy(matches,Coleman fuel,etc...).
This was done here YEARS before it was adopted state wide(which it is now in TN).
Sorry,not to mention hard work and dedication by local sheriff & CPD officers,the 13th JDTF & aggressive prosecution by the D.A....

firepower

Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 PM

710 posts, read 1,960,733 times
Yes, there is still A LOT of meth in middle TN but in general you find it more outside of Putnam County than in. However, you still find it in Putnam more than any decent person would want. I can't really say how I know that but from my volunteer work and my husband's job, it's still pretty appalling how much is out there. Again, though, you would find more of it as you go away from more built up and populated areas.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Not bad at all!
looks like most of Murfreessboro!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,252 times
Default Not Ugly at all

I'm considering purchasing 20acres in Cookeville to move to in 5 years to raise my family and horses. I was happy to see the "lesser" considered areas as pretty nice. I'm from NY and this is nothing to consider ugly...you want ugly, man I could show you ugly. I wish we could be in TN sooner...the way my husband describes it seems like heaven, he just got back yesterday. How 'bout some pix of the lovely parts of town and country ... I'd love to look at them if you have any laying around you could share. Thanks Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville