Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 5,836 times

Advertisements

Hi. Planning a move from Florida to the Crossville/Monterey area soon. Came to Florida via Michigan. Too hot, no seasons, need something pretty. My husband and I are dedicated gym goers. Anything around? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 10:28 AM

6,005 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Default Gyms in Crossville

This one sounds pretty nice. I've never been there.

[SIZE=2]https://www.yelp.com/biz/fusion-superfit-complex-crossville?search_key=10532

[/SIZE]

Old 09-24-2016, 01:35 PM

Thanks for that info. Looked at their website and they are mainly a crossfit/classes type gym. Looking for just a gym. Free weights, benches, cardio equipment. That kind of thing. I'm sure there is something out there. Especially with Cookeville being a college town.
Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:51 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,812 times
We're you looking for a gym in Crossville or Cookeville? There are a quite a few gyms in Cookeville. Large Planet Fitness is 1. Quick google search will find 5-6.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:52 AM

Thanks. We're not sure which way to go. So, we're looking anywhere from Crossville, Monterey, Cookeville. Doing what I can to research the best choice. A gym is important to us, but so is a little bit of land/rural feel. Would enjoy a nice small town to go to also. Am I asking for the impossible? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I appreciate the response I've gotten so far. Any input helps our decision.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylove72 View Post
Thanks. We're not sure which way to go. So, we're looking anywhere from Crossville, Monterey, Cookeville. Doing what I can to research the best choice. A gym is important to us, but so is a little bit of land/rural feel. Would enjoy a nice small town to go to also. Am I asking for the impossible? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I appreciate the response I've gotten so far. Any input helps our decision.

How do you define "small town"? What are you looking for in the town other than a good gym?

In the past year to 18 months, my wife and I looked at both Cookeville and Crossville (and surrounding areas) and decided on the Crossville area...... Lake Tansi to be precise.

I would sum up our findings briefly this way: Cookeville is roughly 2 or 3 times the population of Crossville. It has more restaurants, more shopping, and more of everything than Crossville. Unfortunately, this also means it is more crowded and more congested (traffic wise). It also begs the question "How many restaurants do you need?" Crossville has perhaps 50 or 60 eating places (my estimate) and we haven't even come close to eating in all of them...... and probably never will since we eat most meals at home. If eating in a different restaurant every night is important to you, then Cookeville would be the better choice.

However, if getting around town easily with few traffic problems is important to you, then Crossville is the better choice. The streets are wider and much less congested than Cookeville. Also, real estate prices are perhaps 25% to 40% less in and around Crossville depending on what type home or property you are looking for. Real estate taxes are lower in Crossville too.

Yes, Cookeville has a better hospital and more doctors, but it's only about a 35 to 40 minute drive from Crossville and there is no law that says you can't go to Cookeville for a doctor, or to shop at a special store, or whatever.

Crossville has several nice grocery stores (I prefer the Kroger here). Crossville also has an excellent Lowes store that I really like with friendly and competent employees and just about any item you want. I do most of my shopping either online at Amazon.com or at Lowes. My wife does her grocery shopping at Kroger. Lowes and Kroger account for about 90% of our trips into town.

BTW, I think you'll find land considerably cheaper around Crossville than Cookeville. So, it all depends on what you're looking for. BTW, I'm retired so schools have no interest or concern for me. I love to play golf, visit with friends, and relax...... and there's plenty of that available here in Lake Tansi at reasonable prices. Lots of boating/fishing too if that interests you.

Oh, and Crossville (at nearly 2000 feet elevation) on the plateau is about 3 to 5 degrees cooler than Cookeville. That's a BIG help with summers like we've just had.

Last edited by Chas863; 09-25-2016 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 09:32 PM

121 posts, read 162,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
How do you define "small town"? What are you looking for in the town other than a good gym?

In the past year to 18 months, my wife and I looked at both Cookeville and Crossville (and surrounding areas) and decided on the Crossville area...... Lake Tansi to be precise.

I would sum up our findings briefly this way: Cookeville is roughly 2 or 3 times the population of Crossville. It has more restaurants, more shopping, and more of everything than Crossville. Unfortunately, this also means it is more crowded and more congested (traffic wise). It also begs the question "How many restaurants do you need?" Crossville has perhaps 50 or 60 eating places (my estimate) and we haven't even come close to eating in all of them...... and probably never will since we eat most meals at home. If eating in a different restaurant every night is important to you, then Cookeville would be the better choice.

However, if getting around town easily with few traffic problems is important to you, then Crossville is the better choice. The streets are wider and much less congested than Cookeville. Also, real estate prices are perhaps 25% to 40% less in and around Crossville depending on what type home or property you are looking for. Real estate taxes are lower in Crossville too.

Yes, Cookeville has a better hospital and more doctors, but it's only about a 35 to 40 minute drive from Crossville and there is no law that says you can't go to Cookeville for a doctor, or to shop at a special store, or whatever.

Crossville has several nice grocery stores (I prefer the Kroger here). Crossville also has an excellent Lowes store that I really like with friendly and competent employees and just about any item you want. I do most of my shopping either online at Amazon.com or at Lowes. My wife does her grocery shopping at Kroger. Lowes and Kroger account for about 90% of our trips into town.

BTW, I think you'll find land considerably cheaper around Crossville than Cookeville. So, it all depends on what you're looking for. BTW, I'm retired so schools have no interest or concern for me. I love to play golf, visit with friends, and relax...... and there's plenty of that available here in Lake Tansi at reasonable prices. Lots of boating/fishing too if that interests you.

Oh, and Crossville (at nearly 2000 feet elevation) on the plateau is about 3 to 5 degrees cooler than Cookeville. That's a BIG help with summers like we've just had.
You seem to have the same opinion on this as I do. We picked Crossville over Cookeville for pretty much the same reasons. Housing costs, taxes, traffic and little less humidity. We lived in FL for 40 years so we had about all the humidity that we could stand. We do travel down to Cookeville 3-4 times a year to shop at certain stores that we don't have here but other than that we find most everything we need for day to day living available here. While we don't have a lot of chain restaurants here in Crossville I find the locally owned places to be pretty good. I don't really miss having all the chain restaurants all that much. We do enjoy a couple of the chains in Cookevill now and then but we can get by without them as a rule.

To each his own, you have to do what works best for you.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 AM

Thank you! Wonderful info. We've been leaning towards Crossville and you've just given us a big push in that direction. Retired also, looking for a little land. Something without HOA's or POA's. A nice, relaxing way of life. We'll be in Crossville soon, checking things out. Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:25 AM

This gym sounds pretty nice, and they won the award for best gym in Crossville.

http://www.brikhousegym.com/

Old 10-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Thank you all for being so helpful. That gym seems to be just what we were looking for, as does Crossville. We will actually be in Crossville tomorrow checking out some properties. Really looking forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville