Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,011 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Cookeville area soon. I have never been there and am a little weary of moving my family across six states to a place I have never been but I have faith that it is the right thing to do after researching the area.

I understand that the economy is bad everywhere but we are unsure how we will find jobs from so far away without the money to go there before moving permanently. My husband is a welder but is working at Wal Mart because his work is obsolete in our current area. How would he job search so far away without any local connections? Would we be able to survive in Cookeville for $18,000 a year?

Any advice would be helpful!!! I am at a loss as to what to do next!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM

179 posts, read 453,152 times
If you've been able to survive in Fresno on $18k then I'd say yes for sure, but I don't think I have to tell you that it will be a challenge. That's about what my husband was making working part-time in college, and we survived, but you have to learn to do without.

As for finding jobs, check out the local paper - www.herald-citizen.com and a local free classified site (you could even post a job hunting ad) - www.localsalesnetwork.com (they also have alot of advertising for rentals on there). Also, I have a friend who owns Stafforce in Cookeville, a temp agency, maybe they would know of something in the welding field - www.stafforcejobs.com. Finally, check out the chamber of commerce - www.cookevillechamber.com for more info.

It's a scary move for sure, but once you get established here, it's a great community with lots to offer. Prayers for you & yours through this transition!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
Yes, you could survive, but it wouldn't be grand or anything. There are a lot of apartments, especially near Tech, that are quite reasonable. There is at least one income-sensitive apartment complex that is near Staples that seems decent. I'm not sure that even a Wal-Mart job would be easy to secure here these days, though. Honestly, I just don't know either way. There are jobs to be had here, but it's pretty tight. If you have a good cushion to accompany you here, you would probably eventually find something and not have to worry. Of all the places in the country to live pretty cheap, though, Cookeville is a pretty good one. I cannot get over the apartment prices.

If I were you, I would really try to visit before you make the move. We visited twice before we actually moved here. Once was just a fact-finding trip late in the month of November and I was kind of dismayed at how unattractive it was. The second time was in the summer, looking for a home to buy and it was much much prettier. Really, late November-March = not that beautiful unless there is snow on the ground. The rest of the time it's great, though. People are friendly, live moves at a nice, relaxed pace and other than Target, we have pretty much everything. But try to visit first. Sometimes the reality is not what we have built up in our minds even with photos available, and it's hard to make them align.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
I cannot imagine trying to live in Cookeville--or anywhere, really--on only $18,000/year. I mean that's for TWO people? I suppose with food stamps and discounted rent it's possible. As Wordy said, there are some inexpensive apartments in Cookeville.

Cookeville is starting a city bus service later this week which will make it the smallest town in the state with regular bus service. The buses will stop at one of the Wal-Marts as well as other shopping areas, the medical center, the university, downtown, and "Restaurant Row" down by the interstate. So if you're able to live near a bus stop and work near a bus stop, that could drastically help reduce the cost of living as you won't have to worry about car insurance, car payments, and the cost of gas and car maintenance.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 9,656 times
Great come on over! There is a Volkswagen car factory being built in Chattanooga. I'm sure there will be satilite businesses from it. I don't think that this area has been hit as hard as other places. We don't have an income tax here. With two lakes and thousands of acres of woodland there is plenty of things to do....so letsgowheelin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville