Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 PM

8 posts, read 23,789 times

Advertisements

As someone that has now lived here for two years, facilitated by work, I'd like to give some insight into what to expect and what not to expect. I have lived all across the western United States so I have quite a bit to compare it to. This post should not be read by the easily offended, but rather by the people that want to hear a no bull**** perspective on the city.

To begin with, I am someone that values free thought, intelligence, and progress in a city. You will find none of which here. Now, I understand that this is a relatively small city, however I still expect to see a relative level of progress. "But, MisanthropicJerk," you say, "you've only lived there for two years. How could you possibly observe and judge progress?" To which I'd respond, "You'll just have to trust my intuition. I do not see progress ever happening--degradation, maybe."

From what I've observed, there is a common low level of intellect and high level of obesity around here (it's very possible that these two things go hand in hand). This is a blanket statement, however true nonetheless. Don't expect people to know how to drive, either. People here are comfortable with their rinky-dink setup and lack of progress. If you expect a thriving small city with progression in mind, you will not find it. There is a single grocery store chain (H.E.B.) with a heavy monopoly on the town. DirecTV hasn't rolled out HD local channels until most likely later this year. Few parts of town outside the grossly overpriced Padre Island are nice, and still have very poor zoning regardless. As I type this, there is graffiti all over the fence outside of my upper-middle-class neighborhood in South Side which, while upper-middle-class, is about as nice as it gets in town. Schools here are a joke, consisting of poor education and very little diversity. By that I mean that the nearest one consists of 80% Mexican ethnicity. This serves some utility, however, as it's easy to spot my blonde haired kid when picking him up from school. The weather is pretty nasty too. I've lived in very hot climates, but it's the humidity here that kills you--so unbelievably pasty. I don't even feel like going outside during the summer. The city also has extremely high property tax for God knows what reason.

Furthermore, don't be surprised if you don't find things here that you once expected as common necessity, like Panda Express, a good bagel joint (My Favorite Muffin is horrible), or Krispy Kreeme Donuts. The city is very underdeveloped considering its population. There are, however, a few placeholder stores for which I am humbly thankful for, like Altex Electronics (in contrast to Fry's) and Sam's Club (In contrast to the vastly superior Costco. Sam's Club isn't much cheaper than Walmart, from what I've observed). There are two malls in town. One of which is extremely run down and hasn't much other than a few shops and the other is rather nice. There is also very little to do here other than fish or go to one of the two movie theaters in town.

The good? It's cheap. As what some may find to be a Northern extension of Mexico, the housing is extremely inexpensive, with some of the most expensive houses in the mainland costing no more than $400,000, and your average upper-middle-class home costing $150,000-$250,000. This of course, is offset by the high property tax.

Now, who should live here? I don't advise anyone to. If, however, you have a particular tolerance of dullness and sheepish follower personalities, this city may be for you. Myself? I'd like to get out of here as soon as possible.

Last edited by MisanthropicJerk; 05-28-2012 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,025,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanthropicJerk View Post
As someone that has now lived here for two years, facilitated by work, I'd like to give some insight into what to expect and what not to expect. I have lived all across the western United States so I have quite a bit to compare it to. This post should not be read by the easily offended, but rather by the people that want to hear a no bull**** perspective on the city.

To begin with, I am someone that values free thought, intelligence, and progress in a city. You will find none of which here. Now, I understand that this is a relatively small city, however I still expect to see a relative level of progress. "But, MisanthropicJerk," you say, "you've only lived there for two years. How could you possibly observe and judge progress?" To which I'd respond, "You'll just have to trust my intuition. I do not see progress ever happening--degradation, maybe."

From what I've observed, there is a common low level of intellect and high level of obesity around here (it's very possible that these two things go hand in hand). This is a blanket statement, however true nonetheless. Don't expect people to know how to drive, either. People here are comfortable with their rinky-dink setup and lack of progress. If you expect a thriving small city with progression in mind, you will not find it. There is a single grocery store chain (H.E.B.) with a heavy monopoly on the town. DirecTV hasn't rolled out HD local channels until most likely later this year. Few parts of town outside the grossly overpriced Padre Island are nice, and still have very poor zoning regardless. As I type this, there is graffiti all over the fence outside of my upper-middle-class neighborhood in South Side which, while upper-middle-class, is about as nice as it gets in town. Schools here are a joke, consisting of poor education and very little diversity. By that I mean that the nearest one consists of 80% Mexican ethnicity. This serves some utility, however, as it's easy to spot my blonde haired kid when picking him up from school. The weather is pretty nasty too. I've lived in very hot climates, but it's the humidity here that kills you--so unbelievably pasty. I don't even feel like going outside during the summer. The city also has extremely high property tax for God knows what reason.

Furthermore, don't be surprised if you don't find things here that you once expected as common necessity, like Panda Express, a good bagel joint (My Favorite Muffin is horrible), or Krispy Kreeme Donuts. The city is very underdeveloped considering its population. There are, however, a few placeholder stores for which I am humbly thankful for, like Altex Electronics (in contrast to Fry's) and Sam's Club (In contrast to the vastly superior Costco. Sam's Club isn't much cheaper than Walmart, from what I've observed). There are two malls in town. One of which is extremely run down and hasn't much other than a few shops and the other is rather nice. There is also very little to do here other than fish or go to one of the two movie theaters in town.

The good? It's cheap. As what some may find to be a Northern extension of Mexico, the housing is extremely inexpensive, with some of the most expensive houses in the mainland costing no more than $400,000, and your average upper-middle-class home costing $150,000-$250,000. This of course, is offset by the high property tax.

Now, who should live here? I don't advise anyone to. If, however, you have a particular tolerance of dullness and sheepish follower personalities, this city may be for you. Myself? I'd like to get out of here as soon as possible.
I don't blame you for what you wrote. I was born and raised here, but left in the mid 1980s and just recently returned to shack up at my parents while job interviewing (in other cities). When I lived here back then, there were a lot more theaters to pick from. Our largest (cine 6) had 6 screens and located near "the mall". HEB, although a monopoly does a lot of wonderful things for the community at large. It once had its headqtrs here, donates a lot of resources to community and offers fair prices. My first job as a sacker was at the HEB at Airline & McArdle (now gone). Believe it or not, there was once a time when CC didn't even have a single Starbucks (now we have 3!). We never had all of the chain restaurants that you see in Moore Plaza. Dairy Queen at McArdle & Airline and Whataburgers represented the restaurant chains that we had here. Everyone has a different idea of what they call a "necessity", Krispy Kreme is exactly not on my list, although we did once have one near the starbucks at staples/spid . No bagel places here- i miss that. I'm not crazy about the taquerias that have popped up everywhere.

Forward thinking progressivism has NEVER been a staple here. San Antonio is not much better. We've always had the conservative anglo power structure and the passive mexican american and anglo sheeple. Just read the local letters to the editor. You will see just how backwards the people are here. Some of these businesses here STILL have no mexican americans in management despite the large mex-amer popul.
I'm sorry that you apparently don't get along too well with mexican americans. Maybe your blond son fares a little better?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 AM

286 posts, read 570,661 times
Having only lived here a little less than a year, I can't argue with most of what you've said.
However, I do see some glimmers of hope.
Finally getting Schlitterbahn (or anything) to commit to developing the island is huge. Yes, I know there are a lot of people who want it to remain a sleepy little fishing village, but you can't have a good economy without actually having something to do. If you want to move to a retirement community, by all means do so, but Corpus Christi isn't one.
Hopefully Destination Bayfront a)happens, and b)revitalizes the downtown area. I can't be the only person who is sick of all the growth happening on the South Side, instead of the area that Corpus has that other cities don't. Why are businesses and people avoiding the bayfront? Look at what San Antonio did with their water, and take cues. Same for Greenville, SC. Look at Louisville, KY's downtown. This city has plenty of potential.
The roads are atrocious, and hopefully with all the discussion, something gets done.

On the flip side, I really don't care about bagels personally, so I can't comment on that. I do think we could stand to close a few taco stands, but we still have the best Mexican food of any city I've been to. There are bigger fish to fry than Krispy Kreme as well. I would prefer some nicer restaurants more willing to branch out.

And finally, there are plenty of >$1 million houses on the mainland. Expensive houses do not make a community though.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't blame you for what you wrote. I was born and raised here, but left in the mid 1980s and just recently returned to shack up at my parents while job interviewing (in other cities). When I lived here back then, there were a lot more theaters to pick from. Our largest (cine 6) had 6 screens and located near "the mall". HEB, although a monopoly does a lot of wonderful things for the community at large. It once had its headqtrs here, donates a lot of resources to community and offers fair prices. My first job as a sacker was at the HEB at Airline & McArdle (now gone). Believe it or not, there was once a time when CC didn't even have a single Starbucks (now we have 3!). We never had all of the chain restaurants that you see in Moore Plaza. Dairy Queen at McArdle & Airline and Whataburgers represented the restaurant chains that we had here. Everyone has a different idea of what they call a "necessity", Krispy Kreme is exactly not on my list, although we did once have one near the starbucks at staples/spid . No bagel places here- i miss that. I'm not crazy about the taquerias that have popped up everywhere.

Forward thinking progressivism has NEVER been a staple here. San Antonio is not much better. We've always had the conservative anglo power structure and the passive mexican american and anglo sheeple. Just read the local letters to the editor. You will see just how backwards the people are here. Some of these businesses here STILL have no mexican americans in management despite the large mex-amer popul.
I'm sorry that you apparently don't get along too well with mexican americans. Maybe your blond son fares a little better?
I don't mind people of any race. I do, however, mind the stereotypical passive personalities that this city consists of. My 80% Mexican figure was one of my demonstrations of a lack of diversity as a whole, culturally or otherwise. Everyone is likeminded and primarily Mexican.

Fortunately, the school that I live near is one of the best elementary schools in the city. I hope to be out of this town before my son and daughter enter secondary school. I recall what schools and the students comprising them were like elsewhere in the suburban summits that I grew up in; I can only imagine what kind of zoos they have here.

Can you speak for the overall attitude of Austin in contrast to SA and here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Having only lived here a little less than a year, I can't argue with most of what you've said.
However, I do see some glimmers of hope.
Finally getting Schlitterbahn (or anything) to commit to developing the island is huge. Yes, I know there are a lot of people who want it to remain a sleepy little fishing village, but you can't have a good economy without actually having something to do. If you want to move to a retirement community, by all means do so, but Corpus Christi isn't one.
Hopefully Destination Bayfront a)happens, and b)revitalizes the downtown area. I can't be the only person who is sick of all the growth happening on the South Side, instead of the area that Corpus has that other cities don't. Why are businesses and people avoiding the bayfront? Look at what San Antonio did with their water, and take cues. Same for Greenville, SC. Look at Louisville, KY's downtown. This city has plenty of potential.
The roads are atrocious, and hopefully with all the discussion, something gets done.

On the flip side, I really don't care about bagels personally, so I can't comment on that. I do think we could stand to close a few taco stands, but we still have the best Mexican food of any city I've been to. There are bigger fish to fry than Krispy Kreme as well. I would prefer some nicer restaurants more willing to branch out.

And finally, there are plenty of >$1 million houses on the mainland. Expensive houses do not make a community though.
Krispy Kreme isn't a particularly large fish, however I found it shocking that things that I once found a staple to any relatively large town are absent from Corpus. Development on the island isn't going to do much other than make SPI a somewhat less mediocre tourist attraction than it already is. Outside of South Side, the city is a real joke. Recently had to go into the city for various reasons--hopefully I don't find any more reasons to.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM

484 posts, read 1,633,977 times
Dear Jerk,

I'm very sorry you are so unhappy in CC. I suggest you move to Houston, or Dallas. Even better,,, consider moving out of Texas altogether. You will find all of those things you miss so badly in the big cities,,, as well as a 24 hours-a-day rush hour traffic, the same summer temps and even greater humidity percentages without the benefit of a nice sea breeze to cool things off in the evenings.

Although I guess being able to earn a decent living might compensate for some of the hardships you now face in CC. I'm pretty sure this is true because, as unhappy as you appear to be here, if you could find a better job someplace else you'd already be gone.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 PM

398 posts, read 1,418,440 times
Quote:

Furthermore, don't be surprised if you don't find things here that you once expected as common necessity, like Panda Express, a good bagel joint (My Favorite Muffin is horrible), or Krispy Kreeme Donuts.

I was totally going to pass up posting anything (you're very much entitled to your opinion and diversity in thought is great)... but this made me lol.

You're so 'merican, it's hilarious.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Dear Jerk,

I'm very sorry you are so unhappy in CC. I suggest you move to Houston, or Dallas. Even better,,, consider moving out of Texas altogether. You will find all of those things you miss so badly in the big cities,,, as well as a 24 hours-a-day rush hour traffic, the same summer temps and even greater humidity percentages without the benefit of a nice sea breeze to cool things off in the evenings.

Although I guess being able to earn a decent living might compensate for some of the hardships you now face in CC. I'm pretty sure this is true because, as unhappy as you appear to be here, if you could find a better job someplace else you'd already be gone.
Dear jbtx,

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

I am not in economical hardship, as it seems that other jobs are available. At this point, it's just a matter of organizing my affairs before leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
I was totally going to pass up posting anything (you're very much entitled to your opinion and diversity in thought is great)... but this made me lol.

You're so 'merican, it's hilarious.
Chinese food, bagels, and donuts--staples of a true American city and diet.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-17-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 03:05 AM

286 posts, read 570,661 times
Quote:
Krispy Kreme isn't a particularly large fish, however I found it shocking that things that I once found a staple to any relatively large town are absent from Corpus. Development on the island isn't going to do much other than make SPI a somewhat less mediocre tourist attraction than it already is. Outside of South Side, the city is a real joke. Recently had to go into the city for various reasons--hopefully I don't find any more reasons to.
While I'm not sure what your expectations are, I have never considered Krispy Kreme to be a staple. Or anything other than a random sweet tooth desire. Besides, it isn't as if there aren't any doughnut shops here in town.

Quote:
Chinese food, bagels, and donuts--staples of a true American city and diet.
Negative. Sorry. I haven't eaten a bagel in years. There's plenty of Chinese food here, just not a Panda Express.
I bet you like Olive Garden too.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
While I'm not sure what your expectations are, I have never considered Krispy Kreme to be a staple. Or anything other than a random sweet tooth desire. Besides, it isn't as if there aren't any doughnut shops here in town.

Negative. Sorry. I haven't eaten a bagel in years. There's plenty of Chinese food here, just not a Panda Express.
I bet you like Olive Garden too.
It doesn't seem that I'm using the right words to express what I'm trying to say. My point is, I've never lived somewhere and not had these things, and I've lived in many other relatively small cities. The lack of Panda Express was just particularly pissing me off at the time because I missed out on an orange chicken freebie that they had this week.

Can't stand Olive Garden. I did, however, find a very good little Italian joint on Alameda and Weber called Bellinos. Was surprised by its quality and authenticity.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:15 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,060,344 times
Olive Garden bah! I like the authenticity of Bellinos. Panda Express though - I once lived in a small city in China so I know what I am comparing too - totally authentic! And the donuts? What kind of small city beach town so far away from the East coast doesn't have a Krispy Kreme? As a progressive minded person, and an intellectual, not having ready access to East coast donuts is simply primitive.

I was totally blindsided by CC by the way. It's not like they advertise as being a small beach town! I feel led astray as I consider myself to be very metropolitan (as evidenced by the variety of small towns I've also lived in) and there is not a single California chain restaurant here. This is not at all what I was expecting when I decided to move my family.

I get what you are saying about Mexican children too. I cannot understand for the life of me why there seem to be so many Mexicans in South Texas.

As I am also clearly progressive and of a high intellect, I am too contemplating a move to Austin. I decided on this route because the billboards, in-flight magazine articles, and clips from various TV shows clearly illustrate what a progressive and enriching city it is. People can say what they may that I "didn't bother learning more about where I was uprooting my family too", but I really believe this is the move for me. A friend of mine from Grand Rapids who spent a few days at Austin CL really loved Austin. I'll take his advice over anyone else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi