Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,967,167 times

Advertisements

Thinking about doing grad school at TAMU in Corpus Christi. We visited last summer and stayed with someone in the Everhart/Holly area not far from SPID. I thought that area of small homes/rentals was a bit sketchy. But many of the students seemed to be renting houses in that area.

I need to live on a budget with my stipend but would like to find an apartment near TAMU. I will have a car and I also would like to bring my 10-pound dog. I'm not much for living downtown, prefer a place where I could go for a walk with my dog and find parks or at least grassy areas. As a busy grad student I would prefer to be away from popular off campus housing for undergrads...I can do without the noise and parties. I'm thinking of places that are more family friendly, though I will be on my own - no family with me.

It would be helpful if you can name specific apartment complexes to look at, not just streets. I live out of state and will have to do my apartment hunting online. Also, if anyone has strong opinions of places t avoid, please let me know.

Also, if anyone has TAMU websites as resources for grad students please let me know. Surprisingly, the university has not been very helpful with specific information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
You might have better luck if you find some places online and post questions about them here. We don't know your budget or what a particular complex's pet policies are, but if you ask about a complex or an area, someone might have an opinion about whether it's safe, well-managed, etc. There are lots of apartments geared toward students near Ennis Joslin and SPID. That might be a place to start.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM

I've been looking at The Shores online. Any opinions?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I've been looking at The Shores online. Any opinions?
I visited someone there years ago, but don't anything about the condition or management these days. It's very convenient to the University--probably a 5-minute drive.

Also, any apartments on Alameda would be convenient because the bus runs down Alameda straight to campus. The names that come to mind are the Sunchase and Normandy ...Something. Again, can't comment on them specifically, other than they're in a good location. The Bordeaux apartments are on Airline and Alameda, so again, a good location.

Hope someone chimes in with more specific info.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM

12 posts, read 21,393 times
Try Sugar Tree Apartments off S. Padre Island Dr. and Paul Jones. Under 10 minutes to school. It's older so it's affordable and great views of campus and the bay.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks! I hope more people will share with specific apartment complexes...I would even consider a studio apartment, might choose not to have a room mate.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 PM

Ok, Sugar Tree was a bit out of the budget, thinking about a studio to avoid the room mate drama.

But Bordeaux, Normandy, Armon Bay, and Bay Tree all make the short list. Sunchase was in budget but lacks closet space when I compared their floor plans.

So anyone ever live in any of these recently???

Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Bay Tree is also a good location. Wish I could give you more specific advice. Have you tried any of the apartment review sites? Those are always sort of a toss-up, because the only people who post usually are mad about something, but they might be the kind of people who are always mad about something.

Location-wise, also check out the Alameda Apartments and Manor House Apartments. I think you could about walk from Manor House to TAMUCC. The Alameda Apartments are within walking distance to a grocery store, shopping center and several restaurants. Not sure if transportation is an issue for you or not.

All of these apartments are in a decent part of town so it's not like you'll be moving into a ghetto without knowing it. The issue will be whether they're in good shape and well-managed. Since your budget is limited, you might just have to take the leap, live somewhere for a year and then move if you don't like it.

This forum doesn't get a whole bunch of traffic, but keep checking back and maybe someone will have some recent information for you.

Last edited by Marlow; 04-12-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Bay Tree is also a good location. Wish I could give you more specific advice. Have you tried any of the apartment review sites? Those are always sort of a toss-up, because the only people who post usually are mad about something, but they might be the kind of people who are always mad about something.

Location-wise, also check out the Alameda Apartments and Manor House Apartments. I think you could about walk from Manor House to TAMUCC. The Alameda Apartments are within walking distance to a grocery store, shopping center and several restaurants. Not sure if transportation is an issue for you or not.

All of these apartments are in a decent part of town so it's not like you'll be moving into a ghetto without knowing it. The issue will be whether they're in good shape and well-managed. Since your budget is limited, you might just have to take the leap, live somewhere for a year and then move if you don't like it.

This forum doesn't get a whole bunch of traffic, but keep checking back and maybe someone will have some recent information for you.
Thank you. Transportation is not an issue as I have a car. But I do prefer to use public transportation when available. I've discovered I can save $125/year if I don't buy a parking pass for campus, using the shuttle or public transportation to get there.
I'm inclined to find a studio apartment to start with, I think. I really don't need or want to pay for a 1-BR since it is just me and my 10-pound dog. I'm thinking a studio will be plenty. I'm thinking that I dont want room mate drama either, so I've stopped looking at the 2-BR. I would rather be in an apartment where there is less emphasis on recruiting students to live there, and more about families and older couples. I have a long, tough academic road ahead and need a quiet and relaxing place to live.

I will look into those that you've mentioned. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 PM

115 posts, read 380,811 times
You won't find "Grassy areas" here. Everything is burnt up or shriveled up and dried out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi