Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:00 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times

Advertisements

Also, Seasick - I echo your real estate agent frustrations! No one is interested is educating an out-of-town buyer about the more subjective qualities of areas/neighborhoods. I can hear the "deer in headlights" look through the phone when I talk with them about needing/wanting someone to educate me on those nuances that you can't see on paper. Either they are completely not experts in the areas they work in, or they're lazy. If I were a real estate, I would be excited to educate buyers about these things! If you ever find an agent you're pleased with, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 12:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
seasick and ICG,

If either of you want me to recommend a real estate agent, I'd be happy to. I know of two off the top of my head that I think are trustworthy. Just DM me.

About the animals, there is a non-profit high-volume spay/neuter clinic that has been open about a year and there is very little wait for an appointment. They do some free TNR for feral cats in certain zip codes and they also have a "feral cat package" for other areas. Another non-profit clinic is about to open as well. IMO, it's not the responsibility of area veterinarians, who are small business owners, to provide their services for free to the public. And I've never had to wait long for an appointment, so I don't think that is an issue here.

About taxes and insurance, they are both very high compared to other places. Sales and property taxes are high in part because Texas doesn't have a state income tax. Homeowners insurance is high because of the threat of hurricanes.

Homes sit on the market in Del Mar and the older neighborhoods because they're old. Most of the Del Mar homes were built in the 20's. Except for the really big and nicely redone ones, they tend to have very little storage and the plumbing and electrical stuff can be funky from having been redone during the years. Also, if you want to send your kid to a neighborhood school, the schools in that area are not great. Lots of new families and first time home buyers buy on the Southside (anywhere south of SPID is called the Southside, but SPID is not very far south any more.) That's the direction the city is growing.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions as you get closer to visiting and thinking about renting and buying. I'd be happy to talk to you.

Last edited by Marlow; 04-23-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 01:59 PM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
Marlow - No, vets shouldn't have to do the spays and such for free - I'm just saying they need to make the actual dropping off of animals easier. Allow working people to drop off early, pick up late, drop off w/o much notice, on special "spay weeks." I feel for the animals when so-called owners are slackers and uncaring. It's great to hear there is a low-cost place there in CC.

I will DM you as to that real estate agent, bc I have not had luck. Probably because we are going to just pay cash for a very modest place.

IslandCityGirl - thank you so much for your observations. I have not been as methodical as you have. Mainly just been arriving for a weekend and driving all around. I do love that Del Mar area. The horrible taxes and this "windstorm" stuff is a miserable thing to encounter. In fact, it's very scary to see the property taxes. It will take a big chunk out of my limited income as a senior. I mean BIG, for me. Makes me scared what will happen if they jack it up, as municipalities are prone to do.

And the mosquitoes and these large roaches have me concerned. I am scared they could hurt the pets. I guess the pets have to be on special medicines to live there. But I really, really loved the LOOK of CC, the sea breeze, all the fantastic weird pine trees there.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
seasick--"fantastic weird pine trees" made me smile. I have no idea what you're seeing, but I'm glad you like them!

Pets have to be on heartworm prevention all the time because of the mosquitoes.

The roaches are terrible and I recommend getting quarterly treatments from a pest company. It makes a big difference.

Another thing about the older houses in Del Mar and areas around there is that the houses are all on a pier and beam foundation. If you're not familiar with that, you may not like it. It adds to the poor insulation issues. Houses built after about 1960 are usually on a slab foundation. We lived in P&B houses for years, but I appreciate our slab foundation now. Better insulation, no dead o'possums under the house and it's quieter.

If, after you get settled, you want to do some volunteer with rescue organizations, there are several that would love to have you. They engage in some cat-fighting (pun intended), but you can ignore all that.

I'll DM you the Real Estate agent info tomorrow. Remind me if I forget.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:20 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,967,167 times
Not only will your dogs need to be on heartworm preventative year 'round, but you will need good flea control. My dog was on Sentinel when we moved down here, considered a pretty effective heartworm and flea control med where I came from. Within two weeks of moving to CC my dog had a really bad case of fleas. First, I don't think they cleaned the carpets in my apartment before I moved in and second, the building was not well taken care of regarding pest control. So be watchful when you first move here and get your dog to the vet if you see a flea!

I have worked with a few real estate agents who specialized in rentals and they were not helpful at all. Good luck in your hunt for a house. I thought I would buy a small place here, but as you have seen, the taxes and insurance were just too much for my moderate savings and meager student stipend to live on. But good houses seem to go fast. There are several grad student couples in my department who have bought houses in this last year. Some of them have missed out by not getting a bid in quick enough. And I can't emphasize the improtance to getting all of the inspections necessary to be sure you are getting what you think you are paying for.

Also, depending on where you are moving from...in general "island time" in Corpus Christi moves veerrryy slow! When in Rome...just don't expect things to happen on your time line.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:58 PM

Okay, my heart is thumping at the thought of the "terrible roaches" and dead possums under the house. And fleas jumping onto my legs or the pets' legs. Yikes!

Terrible roaches - omg - omg - so large and when they run or fly - Help Help!

We have already seen how quickly the good houses go. Amazing. Just the stale houses left, with prices not in line with reality.

The bizarre pine trees are evidently Norfolk Island Pines.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 15,627 times
Unfortunately swarms of spring/summer fleas and dog size roaches are a way of life around here.

My wife and I are realtors, so if you or anyone else would like more info on a property or properties in general, post here or PM me your wants and needs and will be happy to assist you in finding the perfect home.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,967,167 times
Here's a little bit from the local news about the latest crime issue going on...

Police Warn Residents of Recent Spike in Violent Crime - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Here's a little bit from the local news about the latest crime issue going on...

Police Warn Residents of Recent Spike in Violent Crime - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend
That is just appalling. APPALLING. And police, while making sense to warn, seem to be saying "Watch out" as if this is just how things are? Don't go out late at night? Going out late at night is common for me. I'm SHOCKED.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINS View Post
Unfortunately swarms of spring/summer fleas and dog size roaches are a way of life around here.

My wife and I are realtors, so if you or anyone else would like more info on a property or properties in general, post here or PM me your wants and needs and will be happy to assist you in finding the perfect home.
Thank you for the warning about the bugs and the offer to help! I am just shocked out of my mind at the crime and the police advise about not going out late at night. I am often out late at night, for both work and caregiving reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi