Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,290 times

Advertisements

Hi all. So my girlfriend and I moved to Corpus about 2 months ago and love it, the only issue is that she is going to go back for graduate school and as you know, there are only a couple of schools here, both of which not offering her degree type.

We love how convenient SPID is, how relatively safe Corpus is (we live in the nice part btw), with all the food places to choose from, the gyms nearby, and the close vicinity to the H-E-B (regular and super) as well as to the Walmarts (regular and super as well, etc).

I'd like to know if y'all could recommend any cities with a similar feel.. it doesn't need to be near the ocean as Corpus is, as we don't go to the beach at all, but preferably a place that is diverse like Corpus, where it is close to everything.. kinda similar to SPID, and a place close to a good Christian church if possible. We were possibly considering Athens, Georgia as I have some family in Georgia, but now that we have been living in Corpus, we really want a place that has somethin similar to SPID, and a place with some diversity. When it comes to choosing her school, she's willing to drive an hour at the furthest if needed. Of course the closer the university is the better.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 PM

484 posts, read 1,632,340 times
I recommend Austin,,, it's great town with plenty of school opportunities. Failing that, San Antonio has several good school choices. If your GF is into a medical field or other scientific areas of academic interest, Houston might be her best bet.

The atmosphere of Corpus is going to be hard to match elsewhere.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I recommend Austin,,, it's great town with plenty of school opportunities. Failing that, San Antonio has several good school choices. If your GF is into a medical field or other scientific areas of academic interest, Houston might be her best bet.

The atmosphere of Corpus is going to be hard to match elsewhere.
Thanks jbtx.. I have heard that Austin is definitely a university/college city with awesome food .. however, we aren't much the partying types (used to be) but we don't want a place that's always going to have stuff constantly going on. How would you compare Austin to Corpus? We have also traveled through San Antonio, visted several different places, met with friends there, but .. we don't want to move there.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Galveston or thereabouts? Maybe Seabrook.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:25 PM

484 posts, read 1,632,340 times
tbx,

Then, by all means, stay in Corpus. Your GF can probably continue her studies on-line towards her degree program and if she has to go away for a short time for school,,, it is just that, a short time.

I think Corpus is unique, it is unlike San Antonio, very different from Houston, and nothing at all like the Rio Grande Valley towns. The closest town in character is the little city of Victoria 90 miles NE, but Victoria has only the VCC, (Victoria Community College), and the U of H (2 year under graduate school). Without knowing what your GF's course of studies are it is hard to give specific suggestions.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Galveston or thereabouts? Maybe Seabrook.
Hi Love Roses, Thanks for your reply back. Could you tell me a little about Galveston or Seabrook and how those cities are/the feel of them, in your opinion.

We're looking into Austin.. but still don't know how we will like it until actually visited there. There seem to be a lot more rentals for homes which is our ideal, .. but we're still unsure of where we want to go. Could you tell me how Galveston or Seabrook compare to Corpus?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
tbx,

Then, by all means, stay in Corpus. Your GF can probably continue her studies on-line towards her degree program and if she has to go away for a short time for school,,, it is just that, a short time.

I think Corpus is unique, it is unlike San Antonio, very different from Houston, and nothing at all like the Rio Grande Valley towns. The closest town in character is the little city of Victoria 90 miles NE, but Victoria has only the VCC, (Victoria Community College), and the U of H (2 year under graduate school). Without knowing what your GF's course of studies are it is hard to give specific suggestions.
We were thinking checking out Austin.. and even possibly Houston. Houston is where we wanted to go to originally as we have heard so many great things about Houston (but then again, we also heard so many great things about SA, and then we got there) and um, yeah we do not ever want to move there, so definitely going to the city-itself will make or break our decision. We need to do an official drive-through of neighborhoods/shopping areas in Houston and in Austin. I think we'll take a weekend to drive through those cities to kinda get a feel of it, see whether we like it or not and how convenient the shops are to where we would want to live.

Thanks jbtx

Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Because the only reason you want to move is so that your GF can go to grad school, it seems like you first need to figure out where she can get the degree she wants and then see if any of those places offer what you like about CC. It won't do you any good to find another town you like if it doesn't have the school she needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi