Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times

Advertisements

Here is another interesting article about Corpus Christi. In all cities of the U.S., it ranked 4th in the top 5 in the nation to invest into real estate giving the city a little national recognition.

Here is the link:
City on list of top places to invest in real estate : Corpus Christi Local Business | Caller-Times |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:18 PM

244 posts, read 804,000 times
This is great. Much needed and much deserved attention.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:20 PM

I really think Corpus is one of the most overlooked and under rated cities in the U.S. And most people just don't realize how much potential this city has to offer.

But, I think the city is about to hit a boom era. Anytime now. Im assuming it will come once Crosstown Commons Lifestyle Center and Dolphin Ventures Outlet Mall are built. The city is about due for some major growth especially along U.S. 77, U.S. 181 in Portland, I 37, and along SH 44 in between the city and Robstown where the airport is located.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Gabe, I agree, but your city officials have to allow it to grow.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 PM

I think city officials are now more open ended to growth now. Faces are changing as well as the views of the local govt. The tax incentives were huge for the Crosstown Commons project and La Palmera Mall. I think it shows that local officials are now more for growth than against it.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Look at the demographics carefully. Corpus' growth is because of young people having kids. The Anglo and professional population is not growing. The northern outskirts on the other hand, are all growing rapidly. Portland, Aransas Pass and Rockport - are doing well.

Umm Gabe what faces are changing? Corpus has less turnover on city council that most other places- do your research. When someone in cc is done being Mayor they run for County Judge.

Corpus does have some advantages - its cheap and along with Buffalo, one of the top places for drivability. On the other hand the refineries turn off and sicken many and its what you see coming into town on I-37. Many visitors who say CC is ugly never got to take a drive down Ocean Drive.

Rockport does not allow polluting industry and it does just fine. IN the last 10 years Aransas County has gone from 18,000 to 24,000. During this economic decline it presents opportunity as people who have a 2nd house here are being forced to sell. Land too - some great deals in waterfront.

Ingleside if you can wait longer should have some growth,as soon as the market rebounds from the navy base leaving.

Robstown, west of cc, will not have quality growth. Its held back by poverty and poor schools.

Calallen is a plus - near the river and a good school system. By the way there are cheap river lots near Calallen but there is also flooding.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
I just looked at the Caller_Times article. First the caller-times only presents news with its point of view. They endorsed McCain two weeks ago and then wrote an article that AP says the polls show the race neck and neck- lol all the other polls for that week had Obama up by 5-12 points. They endorsed the Democrat tyrant judge Longoria in the 214th even though almost every attorney says he's the rudest and most petty judge in the area- Ive been in there -he's horrible. Why? well the attorneys said there's a lawsuit against them in front of that judge. In short the Caller_Times is not to be trusted.

Finally look at the other cities on that list. Binghampton NY is dying and losing population rapidly. It has hot sticky summers and cold nasty winters. Amarillo is 2nd on their list. I lived in that area 17 days - and fled - its horrible. Corpus isn't perfect but deserves to be in much better company. What that survey did is find places most people would never want to live- where prices are down and assumed they couldn't go much lower. They may be correct but that doesn't make it a great investment.

Now for full disclosure as is honest, I do have some property in Corpus, so there's an interest. I also have some waterfront and an island free and clear in Rockport currently listed for $1,975,000. When I sell that I will get a vacation home in of all places EL PASO! I love that place just as I love Rockport.

Last edited by ocean2026; 10-30-2008 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: poor punctuation lol its late and still poor just not as poor

Old 11-03-2008, 05:14 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,357 times
Default Corpus Christi: A Place to Consider??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Here is another interesting article about Corpus Christi. In all cities of the U.S., it ranked 4th in the top 5 in the nation to invest into real estate giving the city a little national recognition.

Here is the link:
City on list of top places to invest in real estate : Corpus Christi Local Business | Caller-Times |
I remember reading that article while researching on locations for relocating. Corpus has come up as one of my favorites (second favorite in Texas; first being Austin). If you don't mind me asking and maybe you could help me, would you recommend a 19 year old guy (well 20 if I decide to move next summer) to move to C.C. I visited there a few years back when I was in S.A. for a youth convention and drove down there for a look at the ocean which I fell in love. I did not see much of the city. I will be moving with an AAS degree in Business. Just a few basic questions if you could help:

1) How much is rent for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment?
2) Is there much to do besides going to the beach?
3) How is the business? I would prefer to work in retail. What is the minimum wage?
4) Of course, would you recommend for a 19 yr. old to move down there, somewhere else in Texas, or just leave it for as a place to retire?

Thanks. Again that article really influenced my decision.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
I remember reading that article while researching on locations for relocating. Corpus has come up as one of my favorites (second favorite in Texas; first being Austin). If you don't mind me asking and maybe you could help me, would you recommend a 19 year old guy (well 20 if I decide to move next summer) to move to C.C. I visited there a few years back when I was in S.A. for a youth convention and drove down there for a look at the ocean which I fell in love. I did not see much of the city. I will be moving with an AAS degree in Business. Just a few basic questions if you could help:

1) How much is rent for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment?
2) Is there much to do besides going to the beach?
3) How is the business? I would prefer to work in retail. What is the minimum wage?
4) Of course, would you recommend for a 19 yr. old to move down there, somewhere else in Texas, or just leave it for as a place to retire?

Thanks. Again that article really influenced my decision.
1)Rent for small apartments in Corpus is not expensive. You will probably be looking at anywhere from $350-$700 per month depending on location.

2)Downtown is getting a lot of clubs if you are the party type. The AA affiliate of the Houston Astros play here in Corpus, the CC Hooks. There is also 2 arena football teams and a professional hockey team here. Corpus is one of the best places in the world to go wind surfing. There are a bunch of outdoor stuff. A lot of rock and country bands come to town. Shopping is adequate for a city of its size. The USS Lexington is here, the Texas State Aquarium, and a medium sized university, Corpus Christi A&M.

3) Minimum wage here is $6.75 but most retail starts their employees at around $7.50. Cost of living here is a lot cheaper than most of the US. For example, gas here is $1.95. Business is good here. Actually in the whole state of Texas. An outlet mall is soon to start construction on the outskirts of town and a lifestyles center called Crosstown Commons is also planned in the city. Its supposed to be similar to La Cantera in SA. Also the city's main mall is currently under new ownership and being expanded.

4) Corpus Christi is a mix of young people and older people. A lot of college people in town and the clubs are usually crowded on the weekends. Its a fun city if you take advantage of everything it has to offer. I would recommend it for anybody of any age.

If you have anymore questions just ask and I will be happy to answer.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Hey Gabe.. did you get any pictures today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi