Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 PM

204 posts, read 940,722 times

Advertisements

I may be getting stationed at NAS-CC in the next couple months so me and my wife scouted out the city this weekend. We loved the area around Ocean Drive about halfway between dowtown and NAS. Since there is only one way to and from base if you live around that area, I figured the traffic might be bad. So how is the traffic on Ocean Drive towards the base in the morning? Also, if we lived on the island, how bad is the traffic on the bridge in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 PM

808 posts, read 3,648,399 times
Ocean Drive traffic is not terrible at all. You may have a bit of a backup at the gate, but that's standard at all of the entrances to the NAS.

Not sure on the bridge (JFK Causeway) traffic, but it can't be horrible.

Corpus is notorious for having very few traffic problems.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:22 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,399 times
There is no traffic in Corpus anywhere. People who complain about CC traffic obviously have never driven in rush hour traffic in any other city. You can drive across the entire city of CC from the farthest point north to the farthest part south in 35 minutes during rush hour traffic.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,166 times
As others have said, CC traffic is not bad. Only exception might be the Airline / SPID area at rush hour. And the occasional event at the beach that makes it hard to get onto the island.

You have focused on what I believe is the best part of Corpus Christi, the "gaza strip" from downtown to Ennis Joslin, between Alameda and Ocean Drive. There are some wonderful established neighborhoods in that area, close to everything, mature trees, away from the growth on the southside. Plus, you'll find yourself driving along the bayfront a lot. Take that away and you may as well be living in Phoenix or something!

As my wife often says when we're tooling down Ocean Drive, looking out at the bay:

We live here!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Ocean Drive traffic is not terrible at all. You may have a bit of a backup at the gate, but that's standard at all of the entrances to the NAS.

Not sure on the bridge (JFK Causeway) traffic, but it can't be horrible.

Corpus is notorious for having very few traffic problems.
now THAT is something good to be notorious for........

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM

162 posts, read 705,751 times
Traffic + Corpus Christi = non-existant

This is the one thing I'm going to miss dearly about this place when we bail, lol.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
It is a very long back up at the south gate in the morning , extending down SPID a ways ,, we lived on padre so there was no back up there .......

Are you really bailling Calallen mom ?? We are in Waco (L-3 ) for a year and I was raised in Port A so I am homesick. We have lived everywhere including Europe but this time the homesickness is bad for all of us .

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 AM

162 posts, read 705,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
It is a very long back up at the south gate in the morning , extending down SPID a ways ,, we lived on padre so there was no back up there .......

Are you really bailling Calallen mom ?? We are in Waco (L-3 ) for a year and I was raised in Port A so I am homesick. We have lived everywhere including Europe but this time the homesickness is bad for all of us .
We're going to try and head up to San Antonio -- I'd like to be gone by summer, but we have a few things going on right now that might postpone things for a bit. Unfortunately, the career my husband is in has no growth for him down here and if he could take a job up in SA, not only would he be working less hours, but he'd be put on salary, as well.

I've often thought about if I'm going to be home sick. I moved to Washington for a while as a kid and I cried and pleaded to come home. I'm just trying to redirect our focus on a new beginning (and dinners on The Riverwalk, ha!).

Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,166 times
At least San Antonio is close, and still has that South Texas vibe to it. Close to Austin, close to the Hill Country, and close (enough) to CC and the beaches.

I moved to Wichita (!) from Corpus Christi a couple years ago and was *terribly* homesick. I think it had as much to do with not liking Wichita as it did with missing Corpus Christi, though. I sometimes wonder, if we we had moved to, oh, Roanoke VA, would we have moved back?

So, DutchessCottonPuff, your homesickness may have a lot to do with the fact that you are in WACO!

No offense intended (much) to anyone who loves Waco, of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi