Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:16 PM

21 posts, read 45,742 times

Advertisements

To any and all,

I may have an opportunity to return to Texas, specifically in the Corpus Christi area, after many years for a very good job opportunity.

I have a fairly rough idea of areas to aviod, cost of living w/houses, food, etc, etc.

However, I do have a unique situation and that is in regard to my wife. She is from mainland China. She has been in the US for about 5 years now (Nebraska, Oklahoma and San Diego, CA). Our concerns are:

1) What Chinese-type grocercies (vegetable/meats/prepackaged sauces and spices) are there in Corpus? I wasn't talking about HEB either, albeit we can fake it a little bit, but only up to a certain degree. I was comparing the food stuffs akin to Chinatown markets in Calif., which obviously Corpus isn't going to have. I did a search of this forum and other Internet assest for Corpus and didn't pulkl up a lot of information. BTW, I do know about Houston and Dallas (w/Chinatowns). We simply would prefer Corpus Christi/Portalnd over the both of these major cities. Most esp with the ocean.

2) We don't eat out much and prefer to make our own food at home. Is gardening a possibility for Chinese style vegetables? What would a rental home cost me to do this, and obviously with landlord approval.

Any other information regard to fresh fish sales markets, or other Chinese information which could be provided would gratefully appreciated. Most especially for a former California, which is seeking to escape back to Texas.

Please accept my thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,815 times
Google; "asian markets in corpus christi", I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the number of hits you will get.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
There is a mid-sized Asian market in Corpus Christi on SPID next door to a Chinese restaurant. I think it's just called "Asian Market." They have lots of prepackaged spices, some fresh produce and fresh and frozen seafood. There is also a smaller one on Saratoga, next to a Vietnamese restaurant. You can garden all year in CC, but if you want to grow something that needs cold temperatures (celery, for example) you're out of luck. Also, you can only grow some things during the mild winter, such as cabbage and broccoli, and some things during the hot summer.

What you'll spend on a rental home will depend on how big it is, it's location, etc. You should start looking on the Corpus Christi Caller-Times website and Craigslist, etc.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Google; "asian markets in corpus christi", I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the number of hits you will get.
JB, Thanks and I did exactly what you recommended. All I turned up was Rose's Speciality (Filipino) and Asian Market (also Filipino owned). One possibility was the Saigoh Market (Probably Vietnamese owned). However, all these culures are radically different in foods and cooking.

I was hoping that there might be some Chinese markets that don't have websites, which native Corpus Christi people might know about.

Why do I see windshield time coming up going to Houston. Checked Mapquest to see what the distanc and drive time is...... This new information then led to >>>>>

Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
There is a mid-sized Asian market in Corpus Christi on SPID next door to a Chinese restaurant. I think it's just called "Asian Market." They have lots of prepackaged spices, some fresh produce and fresh and frozen seafood. There is also a smaller one on Saratoga, next to a Vietnamese restaurant. You can garden all year in CC, but if you want to grow something that needs cold temperatures (celery, for example) you're out of luck. Also, you can only grow some things during the mild winter, such as cabbage and broccoli, and some things during the hot summer.

What you'll spend on a rental home will depend on how big it is, it's location, etc. You should start looking on the Corpus Christi Caller-Times website and Craigslist, etc.
Thanks Marlow. I adressed some of the markets you recommended to JBTX. Like I stated I was hoping that someone might have some inside information.

Regard to the gardening, good information that adjustments for growing will be necessary.

Apartments/condos and the ilk, I have been on both of those sights and was estatic at the prices as compared to San Diego. Felt like I was about to be a millionaire Lottey winner! If I take the position, my game plan was to rent a small furnished apartment and place excess household goods into storage. Then get the lay of the land, and make final housing decisions.

How bad is the job market overall? I was asking this for my wife for work in hospitatlity, service in stores/restaurant career fields.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Although the Asian Market is owned by Philipeno's they have a variety of foods from different areas--Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, etc. It clearly won't be what you'd find in a bigger city, but you may be pleasantly surprised. It's about a 3.5 hour drive to Houston, but you'd find everything you wanted there.

Yes, rent and home prices will be very low compared to San Diego. Wages are lower too, but if you're looking at a job with a good income you will probably be very happy with your housing choices.

The job market is ok--not great. I'm not sure about the specific areas you asked about. People in Corpus Christi do love to eat and shop though, so I'm guessing your wife will be able to find a job in one of those areas.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Although the Asian Market is owned by Philipeno's they have a variety of foods from different areas--Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, etc. It clearly won't be what you'd find in a bigger city, but you may be pleasantly surprised. It's about a 3.5 hour drive to Houston, but you'd find everything you wanted there.

Yes, rent and home prices will be very low compared to San Diego. Wages are lower too, but if you're looking at a job with a good income you will probably be very happy with your housing choices.

The job market is ok--not great. I'm not sure about the specific areas you asked about. People in Corpus Christi do love to eat and shop though, so I'm guessing your wife will be able to find a job in one of those areas.
Marlow, again my sincere thanks for your information. Heck, I would have the same pay rate there, as I do now in San Diego. With the lower cost of living, this akin to a $10.00 a hour pay raise for me.

I really look forward to the Corpus area. That was one area that my wife put her foot down on.....HAS TO BE ON BEACH! LOL And Galveston Bay wasn't going to cut it either!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:08 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,815 times
Cerberus,

We occasionally visit the Asian Market for specialty oriental foods, my wife is eastern European and likes some of the oriental sea foods common to China and Korea, (you just can't get good pickled or dried fish at HEB), Although it may be owned by a Filipino, the selection is generally pretty good. The spice selection for sauces is very typical of what you are prolly seeing in San Diego.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
Quote:

3.5 hours? How slow are you driving lol? It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to get from the Galleria to Annaville. That is because I stopped to get gas along the way as well.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,081 times
What kind of job offer are you getting in Corpus Christi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi