Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times

Advertisements

I don't think taking pets on cruises is a good idea at all. I certainly wouldn't want to spend the money to have to put up w/ barking dogs or dog poo on a ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I don't think taking pets on cruises is a good idea at all. I certainly wouldn't want to spend the money to have to put up w/ barking dogs or dog poo on a ship.
Since they only allow animals on crossings, I am thinking that most people who do this have property in in the country they are going to, maybe two homes or perhaps they are moving to a permanent residence. Maybe smaller animals can be harmed more easily on the long air flights so people prefer having them where they are physically accessible.

I know the site given said you should feed your dog in your cabin, but I think I read something on the Cunard site that said all animals are kept confined and fenced off in cages on a certain deck. They are sometimes allowed out into that area for exercise and that they were NOT to be taken to passenger cabins.

None of the information indicates where cats can exercise, so perhaps they cannot. The cages are probably big enough for food and kitty litter and the cat cages cost more because someone has to go, cage to cage, to pick up the dirty litter.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Since they only allow animals on crossings, I am thinking that most people who do this have property in in the country they are going to, maybe two homes or perhaps they are moving to a permanent residence. Maybe smaller animals can be harmed more easily on the long air flights so people prefer having them where they are physically accessible.

I know the site given said you should feed your dog in your cabin, but I think I read something on the Cunard site that said all animals are kept confined and fenced off in cages on a certain deck. They are sometimes allowed out into that area for exercise and that they were NOT to be taken to passenger cabins.

None of the information indicates where cats can exercise, so perhaps they cannot. The cages are probably big enough for food and kitty litter and the cat cages cost more because someone has to go, cage to cage, to pick up the dirty litter.
The Cunard web site contradicts the site mentioned previously and states that a kennel master handles all feeding. I'm inclined to believe the official site over what a one hit wonder poster who is most likely a travel agent trying to drum up business is posting.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Traveling with your dog on a cruise ship and having it in your cabin is so not happening. A service dog is another story, a working dog and yes, they do make provisions for these dogs. I've been onboard where there were service dogs. It was Princess and there were 2 onboard, a black and a yellow lab. Just like my friend who has a service dog, you never knew they were around, even in the dining room. It is a very complicated process to travel out of the country, to different counties with an animal. You don't just say I'm bringing my dog, end of story, quite the contrary, so one should not get their hopes up.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,236 times
I have a Yorkie who is 9 yrs old. Ever since he was 4 months old, he has traveled with me at least 3 times a year between New York, San Juan and other destinations. I used to go on cruises before he came into my life. I love cruising and tell everyone that a cruise is the best vacation/experience that anyone can have. But because I cannot take my Sky along, I have not been on a cruise for 9 years. It would be nice if they would allow small dogs on the ships. It is a matter of a responsible family member for some of us. My Sky is so used to traveling onboard a plane and staying at Petfriendly hotels that I'm sure he would be just fine on a cruise.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HecRoy48 View Post
I have a Yorkie who is 9 yrs old. Ever since he was 4 months old, he has traveled with me at least 3 times a year between New York, San Juan and other destinations. I used to go on cruises before he came into my life. I love cruising and tell everyone that a cruise is the best vacation/experience that anyone can have. But because I cannot take my Sky along, I have not been on a cruise for 9 years. It would be nice if they would allow small dogs on the ships. It is a matter of a responsible family member for some of us. My Sky is so used to traveling onboard a plane and staying at Petfriendly hotels that I'm sure he would be just fine on a cruise.
You may love your dog and i'm sure its a beautiful dog and would be well behaved on a cruise but not all people share your opinion of dogs. Some look at dogs as just a stinking animal that has no place on a cruise ship,restaurant,motel,hotel or dozens of other public places large outfits like cruise lines have to take this into consideration when setting company policy.Restaurants and food outlets also have to be concerned for local or state health legislation when it comes to allowing dogs into restaurants.
Obviously the op has given some good info on how you can have your cruise and dog too.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecRoy48 View Post
Many large breeds are quieter and better behaved than many small breeds. The size of your dog doesn't matter. My greyhound is quieter, less active, and less likely to bite (statistically) than your dog. That doesn't mean he belongs on a cruise ship.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:46 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
I have done 8 cruises . When pet dogs are allowed, that will be the end of my cruising.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:41 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
I am a traditional cat owner. I'd be fearful of taking my cat, because cats can be unpredictable and skittish, on a cruise.
I would, though, love to see folks walking their dogs on a ship. For me, it would be a pleasant reason for interaction.
Children are much more of a nuisance than dogs would be, in my opinion.
Maybe there should at least be designated cruises that allow dogs.

If I am planning to spend some time in Europe I can always take my cat aboard a plane and have him in a container under a seat. Most dogs do not have that option. The Cunard crossings might be a good way to bring Fido between the continents.

I am thinking this way because there are still tragedies of lost or ill pets when traveling in the pet compartments of airlines. The last horror story that I read about was on American Airlines.

This might be an untapped market that someone could investigate. I, too, vacation much less because I don't want to leave my cat at home. There may be a sizable number of people who think this way.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am a traditional cat owner. I'd be fearful of taking my cat, because cats can be unpredictable and skittish, on a cruise.
I would, though, love to see folks walking their dogs on a ship. For me, it would be a pleasant reason for interaction.
Not everyone wants to "interact."

Quote:
Children are much more of a nuisance than dogs would be, in my opinion.
I'd suggest sailing cruises that don't allow or highly discourage children.

Quote:
Maybe there should at least be designated cruises that allow dogs.
The smell, fur, and dander would still be there after they left. It would takes weeks of cleaning to remove it all. I'd be FURIOUS if I boarded a cruise ship that smelled like dogs. Most dogs (like children) are not the little darlings that their owners think they are. (I'm a dog owner and understand the reality--dogs have an odor and can be unpredictable in unfamiliar situations, just like a cat.)

Quote:
If I am planning to spend some time in Europe I can always take my cat aboard a plane and have him in a container under a seat. Most dogs do not have that option. The Cunard crossings might be a good way to bring Fido between the continents.
I agree with this--in the kennel on the ship--which I think is a brilliant idea. Notice I said kennel, not in cabins.

Quote:
I am thinking this way because there are still tragedies of lost or ill pets when traveling in the pet compartments of airlines. The last horror story that I read about was on American Airlines.

This might be an untapped market that someone could investigate. I, too, vacation much less because I don't want to leave my cat at home. There may be a sizable number of people who think this way.
And far more (including many pet owners) who completely disagree. I am asthmatic and cat dander can be deadly to me. Not to mention litter boxes are truly gross and disgusting and I don't care how often you clean them, the smell NEVER goes away.

Either cruise a ship with an on board kennel for your pet, or leave it safely at home with a trusted friend or relative while you travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises