Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times

Advertisements

Cunard has some Trans-Atlantic ships that allow your dog in your stateroom!. Great news, thinking of doing this for vacation.

How to Take a Dog With You on a Cruise | Travel Tips - USAToday.com

Find a cruise ship that allows pets. While cruise ships always accept service dogs, such as dogs that assist the blind, the vast majority of ships are not equipped to handle canine passengers. One exception is Cunard's Queen Mary 2, which allows pets only on its transatlantic crossings between New York and Southampton, U.K. Rules are subject to change, however, so check with your favorite cruise line or a travel agent to see if any new cruising options for pets are available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
If your "pet" is a service animal, any cruiseline will accept it.....but then, they really aren't "pets"! They are working animals.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
What a horrible, horrible idea.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
While my dog loves boating I don't think she would like a cruise. She had a hard enough time when we traveled out west and she saw gravel instead of grass. That really confused her.

So...how exactly do the dogs relieve themselves? I don't think this is a good idea. Most cruises aren't kept clean enough for people forget about adding animals As much as I would like to take my dog with me, I think a ship for a long time would really upset her.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Cunard does NOT allow pets in staterooms. They have a kennel on board and pets must remain in the kennel area or in the specific deck area set aside for them. Only service dogs are allowed in staterooms--and rightfully so of course.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 AM

36 posts, read 85,199 times
annerk is right!

Cunard absolutely does not allow dogs in the stateroom. The have a VERY limited number of kennels on board which you can pay for. The kennel has it own little deck area and it's own staff. The dogs are treated superbly and you are free to visit with them during the day but they can not leave the kennel area...

Sorry to burst your bubble.....

Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 PM

969 posts, read 2,853,400 times
So there are "no" cruise ships that cater to people with well behaved pets?
Screaming children with poopie diapers may sit next to me in the dining room - but Baxter - English Toy Spaniel (CGC Canine Good Citizen - 13lbs - housebroken) isn't allowed anywhere?
Say it ain't so

Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Screaming children with poopie diapers may sit next to me in the dining room - but Baxter - English Toy Spaniel (CGC Canine Good Citizen - 13lbs - housebroken) isn't allowed anywhere?
Say it ain't so
Well at least we have options. Maybe not on cruises but we can travel to pet friendly destinations and adults only

Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Cruise on a line that doesn't allow children under a certain age and you won't have the child problem. I have dogs, I love my dogs, but I see no reason to take them on vacation with me. It's very stressful for them. They'd rather be in their own home with the responsible pet sitter that they love watching them full time while I'm gone.

I stayed in a hotel last week that allowed pets, the hallways smelled like a combination of litter box and wet dog, it was gross. I will avoid the place and others in that chain like the plague moving forward. I stayed in another hotel in California last month that allowed dogs, and the one in the unit next to mine barked all day while the owner was gone and then lunged at me while being walked as I was loading my car. My guess is that if that dog were home he wouldn't have been behaving in that way.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Say it ain't so
Sorry - but I don't want to eat in a dinign room with anyone's dog. Ugh.

I'm not a dog lover but I don't understand why anyone would want to bring their dog on a cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises