Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times

Advertisements

If I were younger, maybe an early retiree, I would look into this - Freighter Cruising. It may be a unique experience, probably less expensive.

I think, were I younger, I'd like to hop from one place to another and this would just be an alternate way of doing that.

It certainly is not for everyone, but I've never seen it offered before, so I'm putting it out for those who may have an interest, or perhaps to hear from those who have done this.

Cruising the world by freighter

I am not a member of this company's group, nor am I recommending them. I found it when I looked for travel agents for Oceana Cruises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
It can actually end up being more expensive than regular cruising with far fewer amenities.

A very inexpensive way to "cruise" is to fly to Europe and cruise the Italian or Greek islands or the Dalmation coast on the ferry system, staying in hostels as needed in various port cities. We met a family who was doing that down the coast of Croatia last summer and having a ball.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Annerk is right, there are ways to save on cruising for those who want to seek adventure and do not expect any perks. For most of us, that is not what cruising is about. It certainly isn't the way most seniors would want to experience a week or two but for the young people and/or the adventuresome young family it might be a really fun vacation.

Before even thinking about something like freighter cruising one would need to do their homework and a lot of research...it isn't for everyone...in fact, it is for a very few, but it is a different approach. I will add, not new though. We heard about it, maybe 25 years ago.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM

I think GoldenGrain has a very one-sided understanding of cruising based on the cattle call like large and mega-ships and their marketing.

Those aren't for everyone--certainly not me.

There are other classes of ships that are small and intimate and everything the mega ships aren't. No lines, great food, lot's of space, no chair hogs at the pool, even "open bridge" policies. The passengers are generally well traveled and well mannered.

No belly flop contest or other nonsense to disturb a quiet afternoon lunch poolside. No pounding disco music baring into the night. The small ships also sail into small ports that don't have 10,000 tourists descending on them daily. The experience couldn't be more different in every way than what the big ships offer. 200 passengers versus 6000. I'll never go back to a big ship, even Regent seems big to me these days.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,139,958 times
The only research I did into "cruising" on a freighter, the cost was about triple the cost of a cruise line, and there were no amenities at all.

The value I can see is that the freighter goes to ports that cruise lines don't, so there are lots of options about where to go.

It would make more sense to me to sign on as crew for a short term, and then it wouldn't cost anything. I wouldn't expect you to get pay for a 2-3 week stint on-board, but you'd have something to do and wouldn't have to pay for your trip.

Of course, you'd have to have some sort of job skill. Diesel mechanic, top notch cook, or even entertainer.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The only research I did into "cruising" on a freighter, the cost was about triple the cost of a cruise line, and there were no amenities at all.

The value I can see is that the freighter goes to ports that cruise lines don't, so there are lots of options about where to go.

It would make more sense to me to sign on as crew for a short term, and then it wouldn't cost anything. I wouldn't expect you to get pay for a 2-3 week stint on-board, but you'd have something to do and wouldn't have to pay for your trip.

Of course, you'd have to have some sort of job skill. Diesel mechanic, top notch cook, or even entertainer.
Research is the key to any travel, in fact anything period, especially when it is not the main stream. Can you imagine a cruise where there in literally nothing to do, min accommodations, most likely not even private bathrooms and still paying more. For those who are really adventuresome and want to see the truly out of the way ports, this would probably work. Of course even seeing out of the way ports could be a disappointment. Our younger daughter and her husband wanted something different a few years ago. They hired a private small yacht for a week, complete with captain, chef, etc. They were thinking about all the out of the way places they would visit. Well, they did that, they did fish for their food some nights and they did spend so much money I don't even want to think about it. Did they enjoy the week? Not really.. The small out of the way places also had nothing to do, only a handful of people and no one spoke any English. The shower on the yacht, due to water pressure was so bad, they actually did rent a hotel room in one of the little ports one afternoon, just to clean up. The positive thing though, was the food. Apparently it was really good. BTW, they did research for a year before booking.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM

The passenger cabins on the freighters do have private baths. They are comfortable but not lavish--think a typical lower end chain motel--maybe Fairfield at best, clean Motel 6 at worst.

That's why I like to cruise on the small ships (120-300 passengers)--the amenities of the large ships with the sense of privacy and unique ports of a private yacht.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It can actually end up being more expensive than regular cruising with far fewer amenities.

A very inexpensive way to "cruise" is to fly to Europe and cruise the Italian or Greek islands or the Dalmation coast on the ferry system, staying in hostels as needed in various port cities. We met a family who was doing that down the coast of Croatia last summer and having a ball.
This is so true. Most freighters are going from point A to point B on a time schedule and are not into amenities or sight seeing stops. They are not there to entertain you or provide on board activities except playing cards. Food selection is limited and their choice not yours.
They may stop at certain ports to either unload or load supplies but are there for only a short time. If you get off the frighter to sight see and miss the boat when it's leaving port again you're stuck and unlike cruise lines might not be able to fly to the next port to board ship again.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
This is so true. Most freighters are going from point A to point B on a time schedule and are not into amenities or sight seeing stops. They are not there to entertain you or provide on board activities except playing cards. Food selection is limited and their choice not yours.
They may stop at certain ports to either unload or load supplies but are there for only a short time. If you get off the frighter to sight see and miss the boat when it's leaving port again you're stuck and unlike cruise lines might not be able to fly to the next port to board ship again.
Freight ship travel is for the very few, young, love adventure, no not expect any amenities and just want a new and different experience. It appears the OP doesn't have a true understanding of cruising period or ideas on what most expect from their adventure and at what price?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Freight ship travel is for the very few, young, love adventure, no not expect any amenities and just want a new and different experience. It appears the OP doesn't have a true understanding of cruising period or ideas on what most expect from their adventure and at what price?
Golly, since the OP specifically said this sort of cruising is certainly not for everyone, and since some people obviously choose this option, I am wondering how the initiation of this post warrants such a comment?

There seem to be people haunting sites like this who are affiliated with the industry and they get very peeved at posts that may distract from 'standard' cruising.

These forums are not here to air only one point of view. I thought traveling broadened people's horizons and made them more tolerant of other points of view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises