Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 12:08 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

I love how the question was "Will you cruise AGAIN" and most of the replies are from those who either dislike/hate cruising or have never even taken one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 12:34 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I love how the question was "Will you cruise AGAIN" and most of the replies are from those who either dislike/hate cruising or have never even taken one.
Haha... I know right?!?! To update my post the wife and I put the deposit down last night to extend our cruise in September.

As said we have a 10 night Hawaii out of Vancouver on Ovation of the Seas on Sept 17th-27th. Well, Ovation goes on the final Alaska cruise of the season on Sept 11th (my birthday) a 6 night ending in Vancouver obviously. Price for a balcony for 3? $1600 and change... for ALASKA. Obviously drinks and tips aren't included but either way I paid double that for a 7 night cruise in 2017 on an older ship and the going rate on Ovation prior to the pandemic was pushing $5k for a 7 night for 3. So this is IMHO a steal of a deal and it's no wonder why the price is what it is.

So... the tentative plan is to board Ovation in Seattle on 9/11... cruise Alaska... come back to Vancouver and then Seattle (we'll stay on the ship for this one) and then head to Hawaii. 16 nights Alaska/Hawaii followed by 3 days on Oahu before flying back to Seattle.

COVID-19 may or may not disrupt our plans.. with with 5 months to go I'm thinking we might be OK.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:33 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Well, I'm following this thread, and I have never cruised. Then info here still interests me.

Our family vacations have almost always been self-planned, usually picking a destination that has plenty things to do within a day's radius. We're kind of a 50%-50% relax-explore family. No theme parks. No group pre-packaged tours.

Until...

Kids get older and one year (about 3-4 years ago) we had the $ but not the time to plan a trip. We were just worn out from lots of things. We considered a cruise for a hot second but went to an all-inclusive instead. It was, "meh." Not terrible, and it WAS all-inclusive, but we returned saying we'd probably opt to do something different next time.

So since then we've talked to a handful of cruiser friends and TBH, I'm probably LESS interested in cruising now than I was before I started researching.

Why do I bring this up? Well...there are still some things that attract me to doing a cruise vacation. I'm sort of hoping that the cruise industry, like the rest of the vacation world, changes some of their practices to bring customers back into the fold when this virus all clears up. I very well might pull the trigger then!

Old 04-09-2020, 03:58 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Well, I'm following this thread, and I have never cruised. Then info here still interests me.

Our family vacations have almost always been self-planned, usually picking a destination that has plenty things to do within a day's radius. We're kind of a 50%-50% relax-explore family. No theme parks. No group pre-packaged tours.

Until...

Kids get older and one year (about 3-4 years ago) we had the $ but not the time to plan a trip. We were just worn out from lots of things. We considered a cruise for a hot second but went to an all-inclusive instead. It was, "meh." Not terrible, and it WAS all-inclusive, but we returned saying we'd probably opt to do something different next time.

So since then we've talked to a handful of cruiser friends and TBH, I'm probably LESS interested in cruising now than I was before I started researching.

Why do I bring this up? Well...there are still some things that attract me to doing a cruise vacation. I'm sort of hoping that the cruise industry, like the rest of the vacation world, changes some of their practices to bring customers back into the fold when this virus all clears up. I very well might pull the trigger then!

I've just never gotten to the point where i'd pull the trigger. If Cuba cruises were still available, I would have done that this year. That.. Would have been something very special.

Kids wanted to do a Disney cruise when they were younger and.. I'd have been OK doing that, but.. I just couldn't work it out between the high cost of a Disney cruise and when the prices got to where I could afford it, they were in school.. and when I had the money to do it during the summer, they had outgrown it.

As for the question about "again".. well, honestly, the people who have taken a cruise can't really answer that yet because we don't know what cruises will be like when they open back up. I think we all realize they can't be the same as they were. So, you have to ask yourself a lot of questions. some that I can come up with..

1) If you're required to have your temperature taken prior to embarkation and are denied boarding due to a fever, likely with no refund based on the way cruises operate.. Would you still buy a ticket?

2) If they require your temp to be taken throughout the cruise and a fever will cause you to be put off at the next port and/or quarantined.. Again, likely with no credit/refund.

3) If the price of a cruise doubles because they will only carry half the people as before.

4) If cruises were to limit the number of people at events. Pool can only have X number of people. Dining hall can only have half the number of people they do now.

I'm sure others can come up with other ideas. But, the question as it is, making the assumption that things go back the way they were.. Seems to be a moot question, because I don't think they can, at least quickly, go back to the way they were.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:01 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

Look at smaller ships, more upscale cruise lines, river cruises, and at more exotic/remote destinations (such as the Galapagos Islands, the Panama Canal, or the South Pacific). From your description of what you enjoy on your typical vacations I don't think you'll like the usual large-ship mass market cruise, but the sort of cruises I've mentioned might be perfect for you.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:53 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
I still plan to cruise in the future, possibly in 2021. I've been on three cruises so far and am chomping at the bit to go on another. I'd like to do a Baltic cruise, or perhaps cruise around Ireland and Scotland, then on to Norway. I'm not at all worried about the safety of traveling on a cruise ship once this COVID crisis is over.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:34 AM

1,361 posts, read 552,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I still plan to cruise in the future, possibly in 2021. I've been on three cruises so far and am chomping at the bit to go on another. I'd like to do a Baltic cruise, or perhaps cruise around Ireland and Scotland, then on to Norway. I'm not at all worried about the safety of traveling on a cruise ship once this COVID crisis is over.

... and neither am I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
NICE, I didn't think of buying some cruise stock!

Yeah... when this is over it's going to be an amazing ROI. It's been up and down since I made the purchase (and is currently up 25% over what I paid) but as said I bought at the 52 week low. The only way to go is up.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:53 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Booked on this one for October, 2021. It will be my 6th with this company. The ship holds only 66 passengers.

https://www.uncruise.com/destination...temala-wonders

Old 04-10-2020, 11:49 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
I'm usually rah rah cruising type, older, been cruising since 1982. I take long cruises, however, I cancelled a 26 day Grand Adventure for Aug./Sept. (Baltic plus transatlantic), and April 2021 transatlantic plus Spain and Med for 35 days. Anymore I rarely get on a ship for less than 15 days, hate short cruises and I don't go to the Caribbean.

Now with this situation, cruise lines maybe going a medical form route for older passengers (not an issue for me) but what Dr. in their right mind would sign something??? I'll wait and see before I book another cruise.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:52 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I'm usually rah rah cruising type, older, been cruising since 1982. I take long cruises, however, I cancelled a 26 day Grand Adventure for Aug./Sept. (Baltic plus transatlantic), and April 2021 transatlantic plus Spain and Med for 35 days. Anymore I rarely get on a ship for less than 15 days, hate short cruises and I don't go to the Caribbean.

Now with this situation, cruise lines maybe going a medical form route for older passengers (not an issue for me) but what Dr. in their right mind would sign something??? I'll wait and see before I book another cruise.

This seems to be a pattern as well. Most of the people just immediately saying they'd have no problem are not doing the 'common' cruises. The 3-5 day caribbean cruises. It's the folks doing the smaller river cruises or long cruises that I would suspect have fewer people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises