Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 10:21 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times

Advertisements

I'll never cruise on a big ship, because cruise ships are one of the worst polluters on the planet.

"...a single cruise ship can emit as much pollution as 700 trucks and as much particulate matter as a million cars."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesel...h=6879f97637db
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 08:24 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,052 times
Yes, it’s not the most environmentally friendly vacation. With about 30 million cruisers annually it won’t be going away. It is nice to see even slow steps towards improvement.
https://www.ontheluce.com/cruise-environmental-impact/

“Can cruising be sustainable?

Technology is helping lower the environmental impact of cruises with new developments like scrubbers to reduce exhaust pollution, more efficient hull and propeller design, improved water filtration, and a switch from diesel to liquid natural gas. And cruise lines are partnering with environmental groups to share data and organise sustainable shore excursions.
There’s even a zero-waste Japanese Ecoship in development, with a hybrid engine, wind and solar power and an educational mission. But can a cruise ever be green? If you’re looking for a low impact, sustainable holiday, cruising probably isn’t for you.”

Old 10-14-2021, 07:36 AM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I never understood, pay lots of money to hang out on a boat for several days? Why I could do that without the boat or water.

I don't understand the appeal can anybody explain?

When you word it like that, yes anyone who doesn't know about cruises will see the un-appeal. We all have different likes & dislikes. I can personally say the same thing about THE BEACH...I can't just sit out there for any longer than about an hour, maybe I can stretch it to two. Sitting on sand (even though you're on a blanket), you're bound to get sticky sand on your feet & other places & to just sit/lay out there for hours looking at the ocean to me is EXTREMELY BORING. Plus, I don't swim & don't really care to even get my feet wet in some warm water.

However, I like THE IDEA of the beach & can even live by it, breathe in those beneficial negative ions & I like sea animals & ocean & nautical home decor & love biking along the beach paths...just don't like actually sitting out there for any length of time.

But back to cruises, I've been on a few (way pre-COVID) & like them. They're nice when you don't care about just being at your destination faster w/ a plane & want to really enjoy the carefree experience of the transportation as well, plus you don't have to worry about getting a hotel at your destination. I like strolling the ship decks, browsing gift shops, watching some of the certain entertainment, the midnight buffets, taking pictures, etc. I never did the dancing at the club though, no gambling, & I don't swim, so no pools for me.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:52 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

But back to cruises, I've been on a few (way pre-COVID) & like them. They're nice when you don't care about just being at your destination faster w/ a plane & want to really enjoy the carefree experience of the transportation as well, plus you don't have to worry about getting a hotel at your destination. I like strolling the ship decks, browsing gift shops, watching some of the certain entertainment, the midnight buffets, taking pictures, etc. I never did the dancing at the club though, no gambling, & I don't swim, so no pools for me.

Even BEFORE Covid, the Midnight buffets were gone. A thing of the past.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:46 PM

163 posts, read 95,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I wondered about that after DH died but have found that the small cruises and tour groups tend to attract an older, more established group and fewer young couples and families just because of the cost. These couples are less likely to be together 24/7- one might get up for the 7 AM yoga class, the other sleep in or go to the early breakfast, one might do a "boulder-bash" hike while the other chooses a less-strenuous tidal pool walk, etc. They weren't always paired off so I felt like less of a third wheel. Since DH died in 2016 I've taken cruises off of Central America, the Sea of Cortes and Hawaii. I have Belize and Guatemala booked for October!

The single supplement is a pain but it's a price I'll pay for independence. I don't know anyone who shares my lavish travel budget who's also someone I'd want to share a cabin with.

I might have missed it but would you be willing to share what cruise line you use?

Old 12-13-2021, 04:36 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolfan View Post
I might have missed it but would you be willing to share what cruise line you use?
Most likely one of these...

https://travel.usnews.com/cruises/best-cruise-lines/

I'm guessing Seabourn. I had an Alaskan cruise booked on Seaboun that got cancelled in 2019 AND 2020, so we took the full refund, and re-booked for 2022 on Viking.

Vinking's #1 on this luxury ranking list, and Seabourn is #2, so I'm okay with the change now.

I've never been on a cruise, and never been to Alaska, so why not go all out?

Old 12-13-2021, 04:43 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,546,769 times
I think Viking is one of the cruises Athena likes.,

Old 12-13-2021, 07:24 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
I just don't know if I would enjoy the boat part.
It's not a boat. It's a ship. The only similarity between these types of vessels is that they both float. Just like living in a mansion is not the same thing as living in a tent, despite the fact that both of them can be classified as accommodations.

Quote:
So it's just transportation?
"Just" transportation is merely being taken from Point A to Point B. An American Airlines flight from New York to Chicago is just transportation. A cruise ship is a resort that happens to float and move under its own power from place to place.

Quote:
There are children on the boat? I didn't expect that to be common, sounds like they were bored if they were playing with elevator.
The number of children on any given cruise varies widely, depending on time of year, length of the cruise, the specific cruise line, etc. Want to be around lots of kids? Sail a short cruise on Disney or Carnival or Royal Caribbean in the summer. Want to avoid kids? Sail a long cruise on one of the small-ship luxury lines in the fall.

Quote:
Well yeah I understand traveling to different places and meeting new cultures, that's the part of travel I really like.
I'm just not sure about the boat part.
Cruises are a superb way to travel to different places and meet new cultures, but it must be understood that you're doing it only on a superficial level. If you want to immerse yourself in the culture of a particular place, cruising is not the way to do it.

Personally, I love cruising and can't wait to do it again. But it doesn't really sound like the OP would get much out of it. But that's OK. We all like different things.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:56 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
I can't imagine going on a cruise to meet or become cultured. Sure you might step foot onto a piece of land of another nation, but you're just seeing a new gift shop with rebadged made in china souvenirs.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:03 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolfan View Post

I believe athena53 prefers small ship cruising with 100 passengers or less. Lines such as UnCruise or Alaskan Dream. They are price but exceptional.

As for "...just seeing a new gift shop with rebadged made in china souvenirs." This is a choice. You can always choose a line that avoids the touristy areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises