Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times

Advertisements

My husband and I took Celebrity a few years back, which was very enjoyable. However, I hear that Princess has the best cruisetours of any companies that sail to Alaska, and the best network of wilderness lodges. Keep in mind that the Inside Passage, while certainly very beautiful, is only a tiny part of Alaska. You really haven't seen Alaska until you've traveled the Interior. (And we've just returned from a fabulous Alaska land trip, including the Arctic!) Provided you have time, I would definitely recommend a cruisetour to get the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Since starting this, I have gotten a fair amount of additional info. Karla very kindly gave me the name of her agent who gave me a wealth of information. Celebrity seems to be her choice of cruisetours. However, last night, I finally got to speak to my friend who did the Princess cruisetour and she just loved it. Her recommendation was to go in the June-July timeframe.

I don't know which is the better of the two - Princess or Celebrity. Whichever it is, I can hardly wait. :-)

Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
jhlcomp
I am glad she was able to help you
she has done a great job booking all of our cruises
especially the one where we got married
June/July will give you lots of extra daylight hours

I agree with getting a balcony cabin
reading all of these posts makes me want to go back tomorrow !!!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Since starting this, I have gotten a fair amount of additional info. Karla very kindly gave me the name of her agent who gave me a wealth of information. Celebrity seems to be her choice of cruisetours. However, last night, I finally got to speak to my friend who did the Princess cruisetour and she just loved it. Her recommendation was to go in the June-July timeframe.

I don't know which is the better of the two - Princess or Celebrity. Whichever it is, I can hardly wait. :-)
I haven't been on Celebrity, only on Princess for Alaska. Whichever one you choose, you're going to have a great time. Hopefully the weather is good for you. Bon Voyage...

Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
oh yes almost forgot
take lots of memory cards for your camera or a laptop to upload them at night

I took around 1400 pictures

Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Quick question - I went to the Cruise Critic and a few other sites - what is the situation with the flies and mosquitoes? Are they seasonal? Also, I read that on the Celebrity cruise, they try to sell you like crazy the moment you get on board the ship? Did you experience that? Thanks!!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:04 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
Quick question - I went to the Cruise Critic and a few other sites - what is the situation with the flies and mosquitoes? Are they seasonal?
Yes, they are seasonal, with June and July being the worst months. However, June and July are also the driest months in an otherwise very rainy area. August sees a lot fewer mosquitoes, but more rain. Anyway you cut it, with Alaska, it's a gamble.

Quote:
Also, I read that on the Celebrity cruise, they try to sell you like crazy the moment you get on board the ship? Did you experience that? Thanks!!
No, I didn't.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Go Princess, no worries, be happy...

Old 09-24-2008, 03:35 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
We went on Celebrity, which I highly recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises