Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times

Advertisements

Planning ahead - my husband and I have never been on a cruise, but would like to go to Alaska in September 2009. We would appreciate hearing from you and your experiences and recommendations. We are in our 50's.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Well, we've to Alaska twice on Princess and it was fantastic. Good ship, good food, good service, good shows, lots of fun and neat things to do on the ship, and you only un-pack once. As long as it doesn't rain you'll enjoy Alaska. Sept is usually a rainy month so take that in mind. They get about 220 inches per year and it rains nearly every other week.
Our first trip to Alaska was in Sept it rained everyday and most of our excursion trips were canceled. Our second trip was in June and and perfect weather.
FYI, the reason for the low prices in June is the rain is a crapshoot, off season.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 PM

Thank you for the valuable info. I wanted to give you a rep point but it said I had to spread some around ... :-)

I didn't know about the rain. Any recommendations on excursions? Thank you.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times
jhlcomp
This time last year we were in Alaska
We were on Royal Caribbean
we had terrific weather lol the whale watching tour we were on they wanted to keep us in Juno because they said we brought the sun
This was our 2nd cruise on RC we really like the cruise line

Friends of ours are going on Celebrity for their cruise to Alaska in about 2 weeks

You are going to have lots of options for departure you can leave out of Seattle or Vancouver or Seward
We flew into Anchorage and met the ship in Seward we went a day early and had a great time in Seward we got to hang out with rance & sweden
One of our favorite stops was the Hubbard Glacier in Glacier bay

If you want we have a terrific cruise agent that has book all 4 cruises we have been on as well as the one our friends are going on in 2 weeks I can DM you her info
she has been on many cruises to Alaska and really knows the excursions

You are going to love going !!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 AM

I meant to say the low prices in Sept is because of the rains. May-June-July are the premium price months.
No matter what ship you go on, you're going to have a great time.

Princess, RC, Holland America all have the same itenary, along with a few others, and anyone should be good. We're partial to Princess as we've cruised with them 8 times so far and have enjoyed everyone of them. Our neighbors went on Holland America and said it was just so so on board. I believe it's whatever you make of the trip to enjoy it.

As far as excursions, oh there are so many. You may want to pull up the cruise lines web sites to see what is offered. They have town tours, helicopter tours, seaplane tours, walking tours, trips to villages etal. You will have a choice of a dozen or so to choose from at each port, so pick one or two that interests you the most since you're only in port one day at each stop.

Note, when you arrive at any port, there is usually 3 or 4+ more ships docking and unloading at the same time. So the towns/ports increase in population during these stops from about one thousand to as many as 10,000 or more people. It can get crowded near the port areas. And also at the port areas, most souvenirs are imported from China. If you're looking for something native, ask where it's made. You'll find native made souvenirs on many of the tours that are out of town.

Last edited by wit-nit; 09-05-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Terrific!! My thanks to both of you for the great info.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times
just a couple pictures to give you an idea of the beauty

lol now I want to go back !!!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Hey Karla those are great pixs. Looks like we saw the same things you did.
We're hoping to go back again within the next year or two.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
I just got back from a 7 day northbound on Carnival Spirit. I'd recommend that you get a balcony. The food was stunningly average in the dining room & the buffet & exceptional in the supper club. It rained almost every day that we were there but we shrugged it off & went on the shore excursions that we booked.

More beauty...

Old 09-10-2008, 01:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
Go to the Cruise Critic. com website--and click on the line of your choice! Tons of info there! (Sorry--that isn't a link, but just type it in--it should take you there!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises