Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
I get the impression that it's the male segment of society that is exhibiting non-admiration in a huffy way (Dale Cooper, I'm talking to you), almost disgust, and denigration of this 64 year old woman's accomplishment.

I'm willing to bet a sizeable number of these menfolk are Sunday afternoon armchair quarterbacks in their Barcoloungers with a can of beer and pizza, yelling at the TeeVee, enraged at the athletes who are actual DOING something athletic that they themselves could never do.

Now they've been shown up by a 64 year old woman. She probably could have whupped yo ***** when she was 24. You've probably never been in shape yourselves. Losers, the lot of you.
lol.

Looks like I have the last laugh.

I'm a 69 year old FEMALE!

Don't you feel silly, now? (My guess is no.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol.

Why should anyone feel silly?

People can only make assumptions based on the content of the posts.

If they are childish, people will think a child posted them.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Why should anyone feel silly?

People can only make assumptions based on the content of the posts.

If they are childish, people will think a child posted them.
lol. Another good one, and no surprise that it blew right over your head.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol.

Sure you are.

I know one thing that you have over Diana Nyad: the time to bloviate and complain about society with over 10,000 posts in this forum. I'm right: you are a very accomplished armchair quarterback of politics and current events.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Oh well, there will always be those who have to say something bad about people who do something good. I don't think Diana Nyad did her swim for the publicity or for the people waiting for her at the finish line. I think she did it because a long time ago she set a goal for herself and never gave up trying to achieve it.

The fact that many others saw this as admirable and were inspired was merely happenstance. She did what she set out to do and whatever anyone thinks of her she is proud of herself and that's what counts. The fact that there are those of us who care about her story and are also proud of her is inconsequential. The fact that others don't care and malign her is even of less consequence.

Diana knows who she is and what she has done. That's all that matters. I am one of the ones who admires her as someone who never gave up.

Good for you, Diana.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Who accomplished more this weekend?
The lady who swam from Cuba to Florida
OR
Me, by changing my AC/furnace filters, cleaning out the garage, mowing the lawn, and replacing a worn battery cable on my truck.
The lady who swam from Cuba to Florida of course.

Your accomplishments were pretty much what all of us did this weekend. Ordinary. Everyday kinds of things that get done all the time.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 PM

215 posts, read 297,322 times
I wondered if Diana Nyad took some type of performance enhancing drug, my first reaction. No one asked her for proof maybe because she wasn't competing against any one else. If she did take a drug, I think the world record should include that along with her age.

I watched the interview with Dr. Gupta on CNN, and she did have an interesting story. She made a come back after 30 years. And she commented that it looked like swimming was an individual sport, but it took a team.

She also appeared to be a lesbian, and perhaps a strong hero of the LGBT community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events