Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

I suppose congratulations are in order but I'd be more impressed if someone swam to Cuba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing.

EGO is the main reason for her doing this. It only benefited her own ego. Now hopefully she goes home and will be a good neighbor...you know, do something that really benefits humanity.
Then I guess you could say that of all athletes, or even people like Sir Edmund Hilary--that they achieve their goals to benefit their own egos.

The books she's written to encourage women over 40 to train and be more fit is beneficial to humanity, IMO. Not maybe on the same level as feeding starving children, I suppose, but not all famous athletes do that sort of thing, either.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Who accomplished more this weekend?
The lady who swam from Cuba to Florida
OR
Me, by changing my AC/furnace filters, cleaning out the garage, mowing the lawn, and replacing a worn battery cable on my truck.
You're just not famous, so no one was there to video you coming out of your garage, tired, dirty and worn! Next time post it on You-Tube. Hehehe.

I'm getting the impression that this is the first time a lot of you ever heard of Diana Nyad.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're just not famous, so no one was there to video you coming out of your garage, tired, dirty and worn! Next time post it on You-Tube. Hehehe.

I'm getting the impression that this is the first time a lot of you ever heard of Diana Nyad.
Just because someone doesn't like seeing a goofy story bled to death doesn't mean that person has never heard of the silly woman before.

Yes. I heard of her when she made all her failed attempts. And every single time, I thought she was an idiotic moron with vapid goals. Just because you have heard of her and other idiotic sports 'heroes' doesn't make you, or them, special. There are a lot of heroes who give of themselves to benefit others. This nutjob is not one of them.

I just saw on the news that someone hauled in a 700+ lb alligator over the weekend. Hero? You tell me!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Just because someone doesn't like seeing a goofy story bled to death doesn't mean that person has never heard of the silly woman before.

Yes. I heard of her when she made all her failed attempts. And every single time, I thought she was an idiotic moron with vapid goals. Just because you have heard of her and other idiotic sports 'heroes' doesn't make you, or them, special. There are a lot of heroes who give of themselves to benefit others. This nutjob is not one of them.

I just saw on the news that someone hauled in a 700+ lb alligator over the weekend. Hero? You tell me!

Well, you seem very young. It's quite possible that younger people might not know of a swimmer who is now 64. Has nothing to do with anyone being "special", speaking of silliness. What's that all about?

And I also see you didn't answer my question about why you don't like this particular sports figure and instead responded to my post to a different poster. I'm not a big sports fan either way. She's no particular hero to me, although I do admire the accomplishment. It was an honest question. You seem terribly knotted up over the coverage of the swim, enough that you made two threads about it.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, you seem very young. It's quite possible that younger people might not know of a swimmer who is now 64. Has nothing to do with anyone being "special", speaking of silliness. What's that all about?

And I also see you didn't answer my question about why you don't like this particular sports figure and instead responded to my post to a different poster. I'm not a big sports fan either way. She's no particular hero to me, although I do admire the accomplishment. It was an honest question. You seem terribly knotted up over the coverage of the swim, enough that you made two threads about it.
lol.

On a scale of 1-10, your perception is............less than ZERO.

I don't dislike Nyad any more than I would any sports figure getting accolades for nothing. I would feel the same if she were in any other sport. What she did benefits nobody.

And I didn't notice or pay attention to your question.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:36 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im hoping I can be that active at that age .
I am that age and I couldn't have done a mile let alone 103!
Amazing accomplishment, kudos to her!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:39 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

You sound envious!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing.

EGO is the main reason for her doing this. It only benefited her own ego. Now hopefully she goes home and will be a good neighbor...you know, do something that really benefits humanity.
She's planning to do another marathon swim (in a pool) to benefit Hurricane Sandy victims.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I feel that some posters here have nothing better to do than berate this woman (nyad) . It is a shame that you cannot be happy for someone else .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events