Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol.

On a scale of 1-10, your perception is............less than ZERO.

I don't dislike Nyad any more than I would any sports figure getting accolades for nothing. I would feel the same if she were in any other sport. What she did benefits nobody.

And I didn't notice or pay attention to your question.
Did you type anything worth reading?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Go crawl back under your rock. You aren't benefiting anyone with your drivel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,497 times
I get the impression that it's the male segment of society that is exhibiting non-admiration in a huffy way (Dale Cooper, I'm talking to you), almost disgust, and denigration of this 64 year old woman's accomplishment.

I'm willing to bet a sizeable number of these menfolk are Sunday afternoon armchair quarterbacks in their Barcoloungers with a can of beer and pizza, yelling at the TeeVee, enraged at the athletes who are actual DOING something athletic that they themselves could never do.

Now they've been shown up by a 64 year old woman. She probably could have whupped yo ***** when she was 24. You've probably never been in shape yourselves. Losers, the lot of you.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
these menfolk are Sunday afternoon armchair quarterbacks in their Barcoloungers with a can of beer and pizza,
Ya, but can she suck down 36 ounces of liquid pleasure as fast as we can? No Way.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,837 times
I have no idea how this woman spent 53 hours in the water and did not pass out and drown. This is quite an accomplishment for anyone, let alone a 64 year old woman. This is the crowning achievement of her life and I, for one, congratulate her.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Who accomplished more this weekend?
The lady who swam from Cuba to Florida
OR
Me, by changing my AC/furnace filters, cleaning out the garage, mowing the lawn, and replacing a worn battery cable on my truck.
plmokn, apparently you and Diana Nyad both did something that you felt needed doing, and I would guess that you both felt pride in what you accomplished. So I feel happy that you, too, had reason to be pleased with yourself.

Why is it necessary to make a comparison between what she did and what you did? There are people on this earth who are happy on the days they are able to manage a step or two without support. Or to transfer from bed to chair with minimal assistance. Or to get a spoonful of soup from bowl to lip without spilling.

We are all entitled to do what it is that makes us feel significant. And some of us can celebrate the achievements of others without rancor. So, kudos to you, plmokn, on a productive weekend. You inspire me to get my own garage in order.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I have no idea how this woman spent 53 hours in the water and did not pass out and drown. This is quite an accomplishment for anyone, let alone a 64 year old woman. This is the crowning achievement of her life and I, for one, congratulate her.

and I see no big deal in this. what does this accomplishment do for her life.?

She could have drowned or gotten really sick, for what, to say I swam x amount of miles.

Big deal.

By next week, no one will have of even remembered her or cared.

Like climbing Mt Evrest, big deal. Who cares?

Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I posted elsewhere that this is the silliest non-story in as long as I can remember.

People fulfil their dreams and accomplish their goals every day, and occasionally benefit humanity whilst doing so. But this goofy woman had a goofy dream that accomplishes absolutely nothing.

I find her neither admirable nor newsworthy.
So, too, do I and many others in here find your dismissal of this great accomplishment. If you can't see the awe of someone this age accomplishing something of this magnitude, you have my sympathies.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Who accomplished more this weekend?
The lady who swam from Cuba to Florida
OR
Me, by changing my AC/furnace filters, cleaning out the garage, mowing the lawn, and replacing a worn battery cable on my truck.

The 62-yr old lady who swam over 100 miles.

I've done what you did on a regular basis. If you find it too challenging to do, or need praise for getting it done, well, that's your problem. It ain't that damn hard.

But swimming in shark-infested waters for over 50 hours... when you do that, I'll pat you on the back.

Let me ask this... When does an accomplishemnt have to benefit anyone else - other than the person who attempted it - to be great? I get no benefit whatsoever from many of the great accomplishments that have occurred during humanity's time on earth. Does it change their greatness? Do YOU get to determine whether we can call them great?

As for sports stars, I'm sure that many in here that are dissing this lady would know every damn passing stat of Tom Brady, every time Kobe got a triple double, the last five All-Star Home run winners. What did these accomplsihments do for me, you, the rest of humanity? Not a damn thing. They showed greatness in their abilities - just like Diana Nyad. You praise, debate, brag, talk to death one and berate and belittle the other. I think you guys are sad, pathetic little men with no accomplishments of your own to recall, and must bring down those who do to your own mundane level to make you feel better about yourselves.

Pathetic.

Last edited by Starman71; 09-05-2013 at 05:13 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
As a 60 something woman, as long as people like Diana Nyad and Mick Jagger are still going strong, I feel like I'm not very old yet.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 AM

186 posts, read 362,313 times
her critics are just a bunch of do nothing, jealous pansies who think that they've achieved something when they drive a a CAR 103 miles, or swim 103 FEET.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events