Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,357,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I say the same thing, distant relatives are the same as strangers, i rather give to people that really cared about me...
I agree...sad how the "family" only came around [after] she died...and have the nerve now, to say that she was a "vulnerable old woman under the influence of an unscrupulous group"...where were they before?..when she was alive?...talk about greed and selfishness personified...they deserve nothing...they weren't there for her. I guess they needed her to die before they remembered her. Her wishes should be honored, and her money should go to whoever SHE wanted it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,459,683 times
I will offer this as a differing opinion.

Huguette Clark didn't make her fortune. She inherited it from her father, the infamous one-term Senator Clark of Montana, who single-handedly wrested a fortune from the mining fields and left behind a bitter legacy in that state.

The family referred to in this thread are descendants of papa Clark's other children.

I can understand the perspective that given Huguette had no children of her own, the money, which can be termed as "Clark money" should go to other members of the Clark family, and not outside strangers with no connection to papa Clark.

As for the cousins not being part of Huguette's life, they have claimed that the lawyers and nurse went to great attempts to bar them from visiting Huguette. But it could have been at Huguette's orders, so who really knows?

I'm sure the cousins will get something for all their troubles and that something probably isn't unsubstantial via a settlement. How many of us would pass up that chance?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,902,800 times
What's so amazing is that at least two houses -- one in CT, one in CA -- were fully-maintained while she was in the hospital. She bought the CT house in 1951 and apparently never set foot in it. And both of them were on huge pieces of land.

There are times that I wished I had this kind of money, but there are times I am glad that I don't. There's nothing that tears families apart quite like a fight over money.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,606,521 times
Her mental health seemed completely sound, and doctors who examined her agreed on this when she was 99 years old. The truth is, round the clock medical care and daily visits from hospital staff kept this woman alive to 104 years old. If she had of been all alone in a cavernous mansion she would have never lived that long.

I have spent many years in a factory environment, and many of these factory workers retired after 30 years from doing the same thing daily. Some worked for 35 to 40 years, but in the end, losing their routine proved deadly. I was shocked to learn that the average draw on a pension was 18 months. So, taking someone outside of their comfort zone can drastically affect your health, and there is no doubt this woman would not have lived to 104 without the regimen of hospital life.

It is quite telling that she only left Beth Israel hospital one million from her fortune. It sounds as if they put a hard-sell on her for a donation in 2005, and she never forgot it.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 PM

222 posts, read 472,985 times
3 ?'s
1. How old is the nurse?
2. What's she look like?
3. Is she spoken for?

Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,537,844 times
Default Update: Settlement Reached

Deal in $300M heiress fortune | New York Post

Old 09-22-2013, 01:26 AM

7,744 posts, read 12,684,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Am i the only that think people like this women are selfish?
Very selfish. I would have given that money to my children and have some go to my other family members as well.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 AM

37,363 posts, read 41,608,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Very selfish. I would have given that money to my children and have some go to my other family members as well.
Ms. Clark had no children.

Would you give some to a relative you had never met? How much of it?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 AM

9,346 posts, read 16,736,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Robbed her blind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She left an ENORMOUS fortune for someone robbed blind.
With a majority of it going to the nurse (to keep her mouth shut), her attorney and banker, who had "robbed her blind" for a long time. Yes, she left $300M but she had a LOT more. She made two wills, one including her family and then within a month or two, another Will was made. The nurse received a lot of $$$ and gifts to keep her away from everyone. The recent possible settlement leaves her nothing.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,490,799 times
Ethics. Sure, a nurse could accept a token...but $400 million...there is something inappropriate about that. This is a paid care giver...and we don't know what type of manipulation a this caregiver might have done or said, to possibly encourage dependence on her, and isolation from her family.

Family is funny though. I have a wealthy Aunt, she wants nothing to do with family...we are not fancy enough for her. If she died, should I get her money? I have not seen or talked to her for 30 years, or made an effort. She is well cared for...so, honestly, even if she had $400 million, it is pretty much a moot point. Let it go where she wants....but, an ethical medical provider should not accept that kind of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events