Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM

18,254 posts, read 25,921,494 times

Advertisements

I've stepped in by request to delete some posts here. With respect to the OP, let's keep the political end of things out of this discussion. There are other forums for that.

Stay on the topic. Don't hijack the thread. No personal attacks.

I'll re-open this a little later.

Thread re-opened.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-21-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,586,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think these jerks should be put in jail or else pay a huge fine. How ignorant can you be?

Ancient rock formation's destruction could draw charges against Utah men - U.S. News
What a bunch of morons, this makes me sick. I'd like to make them put it back up.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:39 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,637,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
And if the same rock had toppled over and crushed some kids? Maybe this was public service. I don't see the problem here.
Seriously, I think we can all see through the story they told about doing this for public safety- that story was thought up to save their hides so they don't get in legal trouble for what they did.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,778,596 times
Get a Huey to lift it back in place and make them pay the bill to do it. After the bill is paid send them to prison for a few years. Let's see how funny they think that is.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,409,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We'll I might get bashed for this, but it was only a rock.
It was a protected rock on public lands. Additionally, their behavior violates Leave No Trace, a foundational teaching of the Scouting movement. They were in the wrong, big time!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,590,913 times
Quote:
And if the same rock had toppled over and crushed some kids? Maybe this was public service. I don't see the problem here.
The rock formation was there for over 200 million years, it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Totally bogus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Please don't bash the whole organization for one incident that clearly was poor judgement on one specific group who were not representative of the majority. My son has been in Scouts since he was 6 and he made it all the way to the Eagle rank. In the right troop a boy can learn good behaviors that will help him be a productive member of society. My son's eagle project benefited a non-profit organization that helps children in crisis who need a social service agency that houses and educates them so they can get out from under an abusive family situation.

I agree that this situation should be dealt with swiftly and with perseverance not only by the Boy Scouts of America authorities but the lawful and civil authorities as well. The "leadership" in charge at the time should be fined and/or prosecuted to the full extent possible because their actions are not only against the Boy Scout oath of "do no harm" but common law as well.
Boy Scout leaders dismissed after Goblin Valley incident | FOX13Now.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I saw this video last night. Was just struck dumb! SCOUTS did this?! This ain't the Scouts I remember. I'd give them a Summer in a work camp. Stringing fence, digging holes, cutting brush and cleaning outhouses. For starters. Looks to me like a couple of them could use the exercise. A fine is way to lenient. They need to hurt a bit for this. Learn a little respect. The BSA also needs to step up here. If their not to busy worrying about gay Scouts and Scout leaders, maybe they could take a look at what the Scouts are becoming, and do something about it. Pay some attention to core values, like respect.
The BSA did step up, there is no link between these yahoos and the BSA apart from these morons coming up with a story implicating the BSA and child safety when in reality they are just idiots and were attempting to cover their hides.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM

51,027 posts, read 36,749,051 times
On the Today Show this morning, they had the lady he was suing due to the "debilitating" back injury he suffered from the car accident. She looked pretty happy, lol. I think he should have to pay back any money he collected in disability payments too, as he certainly looks healthy enough to work in that video. So much for the Boy Scout code of honor, great example he set!

Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,685,981 times
My brothers and sons were in Boy Scouts and I have to say, I have never seen this type of attitude or behavior from scout leaders. Respect for nature is pretty wide spread in the organization from my experience.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:59 PM

51,027 posts, read 36,749,051 times
He is finally admitting he did wrong. He said "We made a mistake, and we have to own it".

Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
Quote:
Let me state the obvious.

Goblin Valley State Park isn't a children's playground, it is a park, a park to preserve the natural beauty of this ancient landscape, specifically a landscape of large rocks balanced on pedestals! Knock the freaking rocks off of their pedestals, what is the freaking reason for the park?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events