Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised so many civilians approve of this officer's reaction when the vast majority of police would not. Just because someone does something DUMB and aggressive does not justify lethal force.

Something civilian supporters might not consider - officer safety is a big issue, partially due to the perceptions that the general public have of the police. It's hard enough trying to assert authority and gain respect out in the field, we don't need wreckless cops making it harder. Unjustified shootings, such as this one, diminish public perception even further. Those who would never cause problems in the first place say "see! she shouldn't have run!" whereas those who are already a concern or danger to police will think "see! that's why I should keep my hand on my gun on a simple traffic stop!!!"

I know that some of you think you are supporting law enforcement by placing the blame on this woman but please, take it from me as someone who has worked in it myself and the officer on here is surely to know what I mean, it does NOT help to blame civilians for being the target of unjustified lethal force. No way at all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Well, let's break this down to it's basics. The woman is pulled over and takes off. Stopped a second time and this time her (quite big) Son gets out and attacks the officer, then she takes off again and runs from the law for 4 minutes. The officers have to surround them to get them to stop and the officer who shot at the vehicle appears to have just shown up and may not have known there were kids in the car.

Let's ask ourselves this, if she had simply taken the ticket would ANY of this have happened ? NOPE !! I knew before even seeing the video the people were going to be black. Take that as racist if you want, but it is just a fact that most times it will be a black person who feels they do not need to obey an officer and who will do something like this woman did. (When was the last time you fled from the cops and had your children doing combat with them ? )

She is 100% the cause of this whole event and is an unfit Mother for 1) putting her children in a dangerous situation like this, and 2) teaching them that THIS is what you do when the police simply want to do their job and stop you for speeding.

For all the cops knew, this van could have been filled with drug runners and that stuff on the roof a load of pot........after all, it is in New Mexico. All she had to do was take the ticket and she and her family would have been back on the little "road trip" with no more than a fine.

Don

First of all, I can show you thousands of videos of whites and other races resisting arrest and disobeying cops. It isn't exclusive to blacks.

Second of all, the cop that shot at the car is at fault too. They knew the van contained young children, you can see them get out the vehicle when the 14 year old tussles with the cop and hear them screaming when the cop smashes the window. The video states one of them was a young as 6 years old.

The mother acted like an idiot and so did her son, I agree with everybody on that aspect. By the younger children in that van did not need to be put in more than danger than they were already in.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
[quote=Ilovethecommunity;
The mother acted like an idiot and so did her son, I agree with everybody on that aspect. By the younger children in that van did not need to be put in more than danger than they were already in.[/quote]

And WHO put them in that danger in the first place ? The Mother who should have had enough sense to do everything she could to avoid having her kids hurt. She started it, pure and simple.

Don

Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
And WHO put them in that danger in the first place ? The Mother who should have had enough sense to do everything she could to avoid having her kids hurt. She started it, pure and simple.

Don
And the cops should not have shot at the van.

That's another thing that's pure and simple.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
Sorry, I just think that when a person does certain things they can expect bad things to happen to them. Walk into a store with a gun.........you might be killed. Flee from the police and lead them on a chase, you might be killed. It is unfortunate there were kids in the car, but it is just as unfortunate that those kids are being raised by a Mother who, instead of teaching them right from wrong, is teaching them that you disrespect the law and it is ok to run from them. In a few years we will be hearing more about those 5 kids, and it won't be that they won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Don

Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Many of y'all keep saying that the cop shouldn't have shot at the car with children in it. If you pay attention, you'll notice that the police officer firing the shots was NOT the cops involved in when the kids were out of the vehicle. I've yet to read any information stating that he knew there were kids in the vehicle.

If there is information showing that the cop knew there were children in the car, please post it. If not, quit stating that your assumption is fact.
Oh please. The first rule of using your firearm is to be sure of what you are shooting at, the possibility of hitting innocents and so on. If the officer wasn't part of the initial stop and didn't know all the facts as could be know to that point, then what the heck was he doing shooting at the vehicle?

You do not shoot at a vehicle if you are unsure of who is inside, period.

Now it is justified to shoot at a vehicle not knowing who is inside? Since when? You get car jacked (it happens) and you want the police shooting into the car you might be sitting in? Really?

We all know what the woman and her 14 year old son did. The woman violated a traffic law and then drove away before the citation could be issued. In the scheme of things, that was the most minor of situations in this incident.

Lets get one things straight though, every person in the USA has the right to defend themselves or their family. That 14 year old came to the aid of his mother. A lot of sons would do the same, police; just because they are the police doesn't mean they get to do anything they want. Remember, the son heard the verbal exchange between the police and his mother.

How many of you, believing that the police might harm your mother would not come to her aid? I would because obviously those officers didn't follow procedure. Not everyone is stupid or doesn't know when someone is crossing boundaries in place to protect you. That kid isn't going to be convicted.

Once the police shot at the vehicle, they made a complete cluster out of the entire incident.

They had pepper spray
They probably had a Taser
They had at least two patrol cars available and more ready via dispatch.
They knew who she was, her address, the vehicle plate number/registration info

That minivan could not outrun the patrol cars
She had nowhere to go
She could not hide

The police had the opportunity not to escalate but to moderate and effect an arrest in less than a few hours (how far could she go and if she crossed any city/county/state borders there was hot pursuit).

The saving grace here is that no one got shot or that officer would go to prison and rightfully so.

Throw the book at the woman for sure. Then do the same for those officers. Note that not all of them acted stupidly, some had the sense to react according to training and common sense.

Now time to think just a little. What do you think those 4 kids grow up to believe? That the police will shoot at you for something that doesn't call for it.

So that 14 year old and the other kids grow up and are driving somewhere. Maybe they have kids of their own by then. They get pulled over and the officer is very terse and maybe makes a rude comment. What do you think that now grown kid thinks about? He/she was there when the cops shot at them.

This is why people sometimes run from the police. They've seen firsthand things like this. Those kids will talk to other kids. The cycle grows and then you have people who simply won't stop for the police. All because some officer thought in an act of stupidity he was going to shoot out the tires.

A little perspective here: Do you know how small a target a rear tire is on a vehicle moving away from you at a rapid speed? About the size of a dime held at arms length, if that. He was shooting a pistol at a small target moving away from him. As the minivan was headed away from him, he had only the lower half of the tire visible, if even that. Now this officer is so accurate that he can hit that target? He was more likely to hit anything but the tire. Even if he hit the tire, from a rear shot the tire would deflate slowly and the minivan would be able to be driven and the woman might not even know the tire was flat.

How many of us have seen someone driving down the road on a flat tire and they didn't know it? I have seen it.

What the woman and her son did do not excuse what the police did. It is as simple as that. The police are not gods that have complete control and authority over you. They are there to protect and serve the public and in so doing, enforce the laws. They do not have the right to do whatever they want and expect the public to simply allow them to do it.

Those officers tarnished the reputation of all sworn staff in their department and by association, created distrust on a larger scale.

Lets not forget that in haste, officers in LA riddled an SUV with gunfire all because the vehicle looked like the one an LA officer had when he went bonkers. The women inside had nothing to do with the situation other than driving a similar car. They shot up the car not knowing who was inside. What lesson do people take away from this? Stick around and get shot or take off and deal with it in court?

Those women in LA got a lot of money, this woman will too because she now has a lawyer and the game playing is over. The police were not in fear of their lives but she can claim she was for hers and her children.

Then there was NY City...

Once the police lose the trust in their police, it is over. People who say you just do what the police say don't make sense. That is living in fear of what the police might to. Is that what we want in a police department or do we want partners and members of our communities and society with whom we cooperate and support to deal with criminal elements?

One last thing, any person that would have been shot would have been shot from the back. Think about that too.

I rant about these things but that is because after more than 20 years and a good retirement, I'd never dream about shooting at someone in this situation. I appreciated the support of the public when it was earned because like trust, every day was a day to earn the trust and support of the people who paid my salary, made that career possible and without whom the job was impossible to perform.

Rarely was the dirt put in the trash, mostly swept away quietly. That hurt us all and some paid dearly for it, having done nothing but tried to serve the best they could, victims of the kind of thinking created by incidents like this.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I just think that when a person does certain things they can expect bad things to happen to them. Walk into a store with a gun.........you might be killed. Flee from the police and lead them on a chase, you might be killed. It is unfortunate there were kids in the car, but it is just as unfortunate that those kids are being raised by a Mother who, instead of teaching them right from wrong, is teaching them that you disrespect the law and it is ok to run from them. In a few years we will be hearing more about those 5 kids, and it won't be that they won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Don
The cops knew there was kids in the car. One of them was as young as six years old. Are you saying that a young child deserved to be shot at because of his/her mother's actions? The mother was in the front seat, the children were in the back where the cop was shooting.

What makes you think we will here more from these kids in a couple of years? The young man, probably. But the other innocent children that were scared out of their minds?

Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Run from the police, might get killed.

Unbelievable. You could happen to be running in the opposite direction of a cop. Okay to shoot you because you might look like the "bad" person the cop was looking for?

Really?

Some people run from danger, fight or flight and they choose flight. Bad guy and cop, bad guy runs. Other people run too. Okay to shoot at anyone running?

Welcome to the third world.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:23 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

71 in a 55 zone, are you kidding me? That is common place in many parts of the country as routine.

No one is excusing the woman's behavior but somehow that always comes up. This about shooting at people.
No I am not kidding you, 71 in a 55 MPH zone is considered speeding. One might get by doing 60 MPH in a 55 MPH zone but not 71 MPH in a 55 MPH where I live. A speed limit sign is the law, it's posted on a sign on the side of the road. One doesn't pick and choose laws they will obey.

If you notice this was not on the interstate highway but it appears to be a two lane country road. When she fled the scene she was traveling at speeds up to 100 MPH into what appears to be a congested area.

The cop shooting at the van was wrong. I would think his police department will have an investigation into the shooting. It was uncalled for and from the video it seems he just appeared upon the scene and started shooting. Yes, perhaps he thought he could hit the tires but that is still wrong, he should have never fired his weapon.

The woman was wrong and she placed her children in danger by not accepting the ticket and moving on to her destination.

A Taos grand jury indicted Oriana Ferrell on charges of intentional abuse of a child, aggravated fleeing of a law-enforcement officer and possession of drug paraphernalia following the Oct. 28 pursuit. Her case will go to trial April 2014.

Taos grand jury indicts mother in high-speed chase - The Santa Fe New Mexican: Local News

Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So you think they would have handled if differently had she not been black and still acted the way she did??
Yep, I see it all the time on "Why I Ran", they tend to use spike strips. The same happened to Miriam Carey, the woman he allegedly hit the barricades with her car. She had her daughter in the back.

Wikipedia: Driving While Black (DWB)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events